Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

KR v RS - how's it going?

Updated after 10 games:

Robinson
P10 W3 D4 L3 For 10 Against 11

Slade
P10 W2 D5 L3 For 10 Against 10

Comments

• Who is KS?
  • Who is KS?

Edited - thanks.
  • Of Slade's 10 games Bolton at home (1-1) and Scunthorpe away (0-0) were about as tough as it got and even then Robinson can already trump Slade with yesterday's win at Bolton while the draw at Bradford is probably the equivalent of Slade's draw at Scunthorpe.

As this comparison goes on the head to head record ought to favour Robinson more significantly once we start to play the weaker teams again.
  • edited January 2017
    Slide started season with a fresh squad. KR took over when injuries started to hit the squad.
  • Slide started season with a fresh squad. KR took over when injuries started to hit the squad.

My thoughts exactly. Slade had Magennis,, Novak, Holmes, and Pearce all fit plus Lookman, and seemingly chose not the pick Tex. He also had a summer to build his squad and in my opinion did a rather poor job of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Slide started season with a fresh squad. KR took over when injuries started to hit the squad.

My thoughts exactly. Slade had Magennis,, Novak, Holmes, and Pearce all fit plus Lookman, and seemingly chose not the pick Tex. He also had a summer to build his squad and in my opinion did a rather poor job of it.
    Although Lookman only started 4 of Slade's first 10 games - remember that it seemed Slade wasn't allowed to start him until the window closed at the end of August.
  • JamesSeed said:

Russel Slade's football was dire

He was obsessed by setting up not to concede, and holding on when a goal ahead. That was never going to win the fans over (or produce the required results).
    I think he did great work behind the scenes though.
    Would have been a decent approach were we still in the championship. In a season where we needed to get promoted it wasn't enough!
  • My main problem with Slade was that he assembled a squad full of attacking players and then never played to their strengths.
    His continued use of playing jj,Foley and crofts was frustrating to say the least.
    Robinson on the other hand is trying to play a much more attractive style of football and If,and I know it's a Big if he gets the backing he deserves i believe he will be successful at Charlton
  • The fact that within a matter of weeks, KR addressed the major issue of a ridiculously slow midfield is enough to give him the edge for me. Putting Konsa in midfield, giving Aribo a chance, signing JFC. If Slade was here we'd probably still have JJ and Foley chugging along.
  • But for a poor poor referee decision KR would have had one less draw and one more win and the Milwall jinx would have been over.
  • Slade did a decent job, but at the moment have to say Robinson has the team playing the more entertaining football, if a lot more nerve racking.
  • edited January 2017
    I'm assuming Slade played a part in some decent signings but he was clueless in terms of in game approach. His problem compared to Robinson was his negativity. The Wimbledon home defeat was 100% down to him as were many draws clutched from the jaws of possible victories. He was afraid to try things and during his stint I regularly accused him of having no balls. I was angry after the Shrewsbury win, because of his approach after we had raced to a 4-0 lead. It confirmed my belief about the man.The Swindon game was difficult because he had players out. With the team he put out, it was clear how the game would pan out. He could have taken some risks there. It may not have worked, but the cautious alternative was never going to work - it says it all about Slade for me.
  • edited February 2017
    Updated after 11 games:

Robinson - P11 W3 D5 L3 For 11 Against 12
    Slade - P11 W2 D6 L3 For 11 Against 11
  • Pearce said at Bromley Addicks that the players had met with Slade after the Wimbledon game and had asked for a more expansive and attacking style of play with which Russell agreed but, as Pearce said, he didn't get a chance to do much about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting how similar the records are still. While Robinson is certainly a more dynamic manager, that dynamism is yet to be seen in the form of results. Hence, we are still in mid table.
  • Updated after 11 games:

Robinson - P11 W3 D5 L4 For 11 Against 12

Sorry is it just me but doesn't Robinson's record add up to 12 here?!

3+5+4=12 guessing one is a mistake.

Sorry to be a pedant.

Sorry to be a pedant.
    I make you right, good spot.

Sorry to be a pedant.
    I make you right, good spot.
    It's the analyst in me. Still the joke would be that I'd need a spreadsheet to work it out...

Interesting how similar the records are still. While Robinson is certainly a more dynamic manager, that dynamism is yet to be seen in the form of results. Hence, we are still in mid table.

Following with interest, Evesham.
    As you mentioned "mid table", I was curious to check the comparison only between Slade and Robinson's first 9 League games:

Robinson - P9 W3 D4 L2 F10 A9 PTS13
    Slade ..... - P9 W2 D5 L2 F11 A10 PTS11

Firstly, I could only find 2 League defeats for Robbo, same as Slade.
    Interestingly, Slade's 'defensive/negative' teams scored 1 more goal compared to Robbo's teams.

In this comparison, we see that Robbo's teams gained 2 more points, with arguably a more overall difficult fixture list and having lost many key players.
    Slade was sacked with Charlton after 16 League games, so of course a fairer comparison can be had once Robinson completes his first 16.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

• Oggy Red said:

Updated after 11 games:

Interesting how similar the records are still. While Robinson is certainly a more dynamic manager, that dynamism is yet to be seen in the form of results. Hence, we are still in mid table.

Following with interest, Evesham.
    As you mentioned "mid table", I was curious to check the comparison only between Slade and Robinson's first 9 League games:

Robinson - P9 W3 D4 L2 F10 A9 PTS13
    Slade ..... - P9 W2 D5 L2 F11 A10 PTS11

Firstly, I could only find 2 League defeats for Robbo, same as Slade.
    Interestingly, Slade's 'defensive/negative' teams scored 1 more goal compared to Robbo's teams.

In this comparison, we see that Robbo's teams gained 2 more points, with arguably a more overall difficult fixture list and having lost many key players.
    Slade was sacked with Charlton after 16 League games, so of course a fairer comparison can be had once Robinson completes his first 16.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Agreed especially when Slade's 16 league games included home games against Coventry, Chesterfield, Oldham and Shrewsbury 4 of the weakest teams in the league while Robinson has only been afforded 1 game against a bottom half team in his 9 games, and none against any teams in the bottom 8!

Slade will still have had the better of the fixtures once Robinson reaches 16 games but agreed it should provide a slightly fairer comparison by then.
  • And but for a stupid refereeing mistake in favour of Millwall then KR would have 15 points. It's a nice academic exercise but too many variables to be meaningful in any concrete sense.
  • Let's face it, not much difference and Slade was sacked.
  • I just prefer watching Robinson's Charlton than Slades.

Slade for me was poor and his football was painful and dull.

Sorry to be a pedant.
    Thanks Canters, I have amended this now.