Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Listening to the Jesus and Mary chain hurts your ears and reminds you of when ou used to love this stuff.
  • You take up walking football :)
  • edited June 2017
    When you're in a b&b in Germany and have an itchy arse in bed. You scratch your arse using the sheet as PPE only to discover serious skids in the morning. Has anyone else been in this situation?
  • Having to explain who Georgie Fame is.

But it's good when the young one realises how good he is.
  • You're talking about football and someone mentions 4-4-2. Next thing you know, your mind has wandered off and you're left in your own little reverie thinning about the groundbreaking LT&SR 1 Class locomotives of 1880.
  • iainment said:

Having to explain who Georgie Fame is.

That is rare - Typical converstation in car with my son - What's this rubbish? Bob Dylan!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

That is rare - Typical converstation in car with my son - What's this rubbish? Bob Dylan!!!!!
    I get ribbed by my 3 kids all the time as I'm not "up with the times" & always starting sentences with "in my day......" or "music in the 80's...." but my eldest, who's 13, has been brainwashed by me & recognises The Beatles/Macca, Michael Jackson & Queen when they come on the radio & surprised me a few weeks back when he named an AC/DC song after just the first few bars.
  • I used to enjoy watching the all rounder Basil D’Olivera, I also recall his son Damian being a more than useful cricketer / coach before losing his life to cancer at the age of 53.

Recently I channel hopped onto a cricket match on Sky and there playing for Worcestershire was Brett D’Olivera. A quick google revealed that he is indeed the grandson … Oh dear.
  • When you buy the Eddie Stobbart truck names book as you both love to guess their name when you see one.
  • The grandma of rock n roll Paul McCartney is coming to NZ next year to give a concert. Who on earth will go and watch him?

Just realised I'm the same age
  • While admiring the quality of slacks and Velcro fastening training in Debenhams earlier I noticed a young mum with head covered (Muslim?) with a buggy approaching a small flight of steps along with lots of people not making eye contact. Despite having a broken wrist/hand I offered to help get the buggy down the steps, with a polite "Good morning, may I help" .....making the best of a bad job with only one hand we struggled down the few steps. The lady then thanked me and smiled saying "Thank you, but it's actually afternoon" Ah, back to the Jasper Conran beige chinos and the CL you know your getting old thread. :(
  • When wireless meant 208 on the Medium Wave at night.
  • iainment said:

I get ribbed by my 3 kids all the time as I'm not "up with the times" & always starting sentences with "in my day......" or "music in the 80's...." but my eldest, who's 13, has been brainwashed by me & recognises The Beatles/Macca, Michael Jackson & Queen when they come on the radio & surprised me a few weeks back when he named an AC/DC song after just the first few bars.
    To be honest, just to wind him up I pretend I liked Boney M and keep playing Boney M songs in the car - like Ma Baker. Will introduce him to the Goombay Dance Band soon! I have become an old git!

• edited June 2017
    My two girls know nearly all the words to every Madness and Level42 song. When I asked them recently how that is, they said 'cos that's all you ever played in the car.

Educashun, a good thing innit!
  • When you receive a CV from someone born in this millennium.
  • Sponsored links:

• You take up walking football :)

Bloody cheek!
  • When you read things that aren't really there. The following was posted by Henry on the Charlton Station thread, I thought the signalman's wife was Mrs Nesquick. I bet her milkshake brings the boys to the yard!

"The Booking Office and ancillary buildings of Charlton Station were completely destroyed on 23rd June 1944, when it received a direct hit from a V-1 flying bomb, killing four civilians, including Mrs. Newick, the wife of the signalman, who lived in the station house. As a result, the whole station was demolished and remained as a collection of temporary buildings until 1967, when the station was rebuilt into the style we see today. "
  • You look at the TV schedule and look forward to watching C4 News and then being able to immediately switch channels and watch Gardeners World
  • When it gets to 9 pm anywhere in the world and you want to go to bed (for sleep), I'm currently in Beijing, its 9 pm and I'm knackered......oh and Ive been wearing slippers all day even when going round shopping mall with such stores as Lois Verton(? sp), Banbury etc.
  • When you remember Dick Barton special agent, now that is old.
  • When you're carrying a heavy object to the car and a couple of late teens walk across your path, the lad busy looking on his phone. No big deal as he apologised but I try and invite banter by saying in a humorous way "Too busy on your phone eh!"

Nothing, fuck all, not even a snigger from them.
  • A cup of tea seems preferable to a beer
  • You plan your journeys with toilets en route.