Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

TELTEL
edited January 2018 in General Charlton
Im suprised that Chris hasnt been in the hot seat since Huddersfield and read somewhere recently he was scouting for Spurs....surprised he hasnt been snapped up by a lower league club, but seems Southend are about to announce him......

Now if potential new owners were savvy, they would have him lined up in a position already....who better than to unite our fanbase?

Comments

• The dream ticket of Varney, Curbs and Powell vanishes before our eyes.
  • edited January 2018
    It's a shame his career never kicked on (so far) after leaving here.

The Hudds gig seems to have defined him more than our title winning season.

His legacy with us goes far beyond his management stint - good as it was.

Do we overrate him? Is he underrated by others like Hudds? Somewhere in the middle?
  • It's a shame his career never kicked on (so far) after leaving here.

Do we overrate him? Is he underrated by others like Hudds? Somewhere in the middle?

Huddersfield aren't a big club at Championship level. He kept them up so while he didn't impress there he didn't completely fail. If he was as bad as some believe he'd have got them relegated. They then replaced him with someone that turned out to be the perfect fit for them and a very good manager.

Some didn't like his style of football but he never had the budget to improve the team after the title winning season. It was far more important to get out of League 1 than play attractive football. It's not as if he played out and out long ball either.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a shame his career never kicked on (so far) after leaving here.

Was given money here and won the league with a record number of points.

Went to huddersfield with a limited budget and had his best players sold from underneath him. New guy comes in and is given a load of money and gets them promoted.

All this big club little club stuff is a red herring. You're as big as your budget and huddersfield weren't a small budget team when they went up.

If you want to see why British managers aren't given a chance then look at Huddersfield. They had a stellar run between December and February. They kept 'blowing teams away' but finished with a negative GD. They then defended their way through the playoffs and won on penalties. Since being promoted they cant score (19 in 23) or keep hold of the ball for longer than 2 passes. But they've got Wagner in charge and he's a miracle worker who just oozes attractive football.

• yup he was great for us, however............................................................no going back & move on - I wish him great sucsses.
  • I have this quandary about Powell, if he is such a good manager why the hell hasn't he been managing a club?
    I understand that Curbs is persona non grata with football clubs and will possibly never manage again, but Powell?
  • Greenie said:

I have this quandary about Powell, if he is such a good manager why the hell hasn't he been managing a club?
    I understand that Curbs is persona non grata with football clubs and will possibly never manage again, but Powell?

He needs to be fully funded to be successful IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

I have this quandary about Powell, if he is such a good manager why the hell hasn't he been managing a club?

Cos some football club owners as well as some supporters are clueless
    Helpful comment and gives answers.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

Whats fully funded and what's successful ,
    were we fully funded when we finished 9th season after promotion
    We weren't forced to sell any key players were we? I'd say Powell was happy with that squad, and they were carrying confidence from being promoted.

The next season when we didn't have any funding, things went far less smoothly...
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Went to huddersfield with a limited budget and had his best players sold from underneath him. New guy comes in and is given a load of money and gets them promoted.

All this big club little club stuff is a red herring. You're as big as your budget and huddersfield weren't a small budget team when they went up.

If you want to see why British managers aren't given a chance then look at Huddersfield. They had a stellar run between December and February. They kept 'blowing teams away' but finished with a negative GD. They then defended their way through the playoffs and won on penalties. Since being promoted they cant score (19 in 23) or keep hold of the ball for longer than 2 passes. But they've got Wagner in charge and he's a miracle worker who just oozes attractive football.
    You couldn't be more wrong here. Huddersfield spent next to nothing in getting promoted, had a tiny playing budget and were amongst the pre-season favourites to be struggling.

If you look at this you'll see they spent a huge 1.3m last season and made a profit the year before!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/huddersfield-town/english-football-teams/huddersfield-town-transfers

To say Wagner was given loads of money and didn't have a small budget simply isn't true.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

We weren't forced to sell any key players were we? I'd say Powell was happy with that squad, and they were carrying confidence from being promoted.

The next season when we didn't have any funding, things went far less smoothly...
    So not being forced to sell key players you'd consider being fully funded , I think we stood still as a squad that season
  • A done deal according to my source.
  • A done deal according to my source.

S**t. I really, really wanted him to come back under the new ownership as soon as Roland effs off.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

We weren’t that well funded after promotion - there was little money for reinforcements, hence Jordan Cook, Salim Kerkar, Dorian Dervite, etc.

Before the money was withdrawn, we were being linked with players like Sone Aluko and Richie De Laet, so one wonders what could’ve been
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

So not being forced to sell key players you'd consider being fully funded , I think we stood still as a squad that season
    Compared to this lot, yes...
  • Daddy_Pig said:

You couldn't be more wrong here. Huddersfield spent next to nothing in getting promoted, had a tiny playing budget and were amongst the pre-season favourites to be struggling.

If you look at this you'll see they spent a huge 1.3m last season and made a profit the year before!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/huddersfield-town/english-football-teams/huddersfield-town-transfers

To say Wagner was given loads of money and didn't have a small budget simply isn't true.
    He did really well with loans as well. 2 from Chelsea and one from Man City.
  • Southend will be a tough job - hard to push on. Wish him well.