Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 28 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
Saturday 28th April 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Jones

Introduction

And so for Charlton the two game shoot out begins… Over the last number of weeks, we’ve had to face a number of cup-finals in our attempts to reach the Play-Offs, some we’ve won, some we’ve lost… Yet the battle for promotion in May is far from over – This Saturday we welcome Blackburn Rovers to the Valley, as we look to emulate our opponents and finally return to the second tier of English Football for next season!!

The Opposition
Name: Blackburn Rovers | Manager: Tony Mowbray
Ground: Ewood Park

On Tuesday night the automatic places for promotion were resolved, Wigan’s win on Saturday had already confirmed their return to the Championship. For Blackburn, they simply needed a win against Doncaster which they naturally delivered… An impressive run of games without defeat since October being one of the main factors in their success.

Another one of those factors is the return to form for ex-Charlton youngster: Bradley Dack, having been released many years ago, the Greenwich born midfielder made his name at Gillingham before finally leaving for Lancashire in the summer… Winner of the Player of the Season award in 2016, that feat was matched for a second time this year, the attack minded player will certainly be one to watch having scored 16-league goals already this season.

The Play-Off race
The race for the Play-Offs isnt over yet could well be this time on Saturday… For Charlton, recent results have been impressive (something that didn’t look possible after their recent defeat to Scunthorpe), whilst for our opponents: Plymouth, results have taken a turn for the worse, defeat against Northampton and a draw on Tuesday against Rochdale have left the Pilgrims with a lot of work to do.

Breathing down our neck are Scunthorpe United who travel to already relegated MK Dons, you’d expect an away victory in that fixture, yet should Plymouth lose to Rotherham and Charlton win themselves, our own place in the Play-Offs will be confirmed – Simple!!

Charlton Team News
Our victory against Portsmouth was marred by two forced substitutions… With Charlton in complete control on the south coast it was disappointing to see Lewis Page (achilles) and Tariqe Fosu (hamstring) having to be withdrawn from the action – For the former, it wasn’t serious so its possible we’ll see Page back in left back contention, whilst for Fosu its likely his season is now done – A return to the Play-Off Final in the style of John Robinson would be much appreciated

Amos
Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Reeves | Kashi | Forster-Caskey | Dasilva
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Lennon | Marshall | Kaikai | Zyro | Aribo

Prediction
Saturday will be tough and raises the potential for our rivals to gain some ground – A win though will be a huge confidence booster and should confirm our place in the Play-Offs… We put up a good fight at Blackburn earlier in the season and expect the same again... They might be on a good run yet so were Plymouth and Rotherham

Lets turn the Valley back into a fortress, and do it again!! - Charlton... Assenble!!

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.

At least that's the last time you'll be writing that this season @happyvalley - hope you are right though.

At least that's the last time you'll be writing that this season @happyvalley - hope you are right though.
    Whats going to happen to him prior to the Rochdale / Play-Off games?

Now that would be telling...

Well obviously Rochdale will be a comfortable away win!

How do I find out whether we'll have the home or away dressing room at Wembley?

Well obviously Rochdale will be a comfortable away win!
    And play-off home leg will be a comfortable 3-0
  • Win 1-0 No idea why but just feels like the title and our play off place will go to the last day.
  • Blackburn to win by two clear goals, I cannot see a thrashing so something like 0-2 or 1-3.

Sorry
  • I don’t think DaSilva will start. I think it will be Kaikai or Marshall.

Will Bows put a player to man mark Dack?
  • Sponsored links:

• They have 1 defeat in 33 in the league... I'll happily take a point.
  • Driving home last saturday I thought we'd have a good chance to win this game, but as the week's gone on I'm starting to have doubts & after this afternoons injury announcement I'm sorry to say that a draw would be a great result & I fear a defeat is looming.

0-2.
  • Could be a good game to watch, 3-2 win
  • Driving home last saturday I thought we'd have a good chance to win this game, but as the week's gone on I'm starting to have doubts & after this afternoons injury announcement I'm sorry to say that a draw would be a great result & I fear a defeat is looming.

0-2.

Golfie is back, Golfie is back hello hello :wink:
  • Fcuk noes.
    Even by Charlton standards this season is impossible to predict.
    Head says 0.1
    Heart says 2.1.
    Let's hope heart wins and we all go home ha
  • 1-1 for me... We go ahead early on but they hit back round 75 mins and we have a nervy last 15 but hold on. Plymouth/Rotherham to draw and got a sneaky feeling MK will get something as well v Scunny - Lots of jangly nerves for everyone on Saturday I don't think Wigan will win either.
  • Blackburn play a 4-2-3-1. Dack plays just behind Graham. With two centre halves marking just 1 player it leaves space. Gulp. Think we have to match those three.

With Fosu out I think Bows will play a diamond midfield with Kashi taking Dack out. Reeves to play the point. Dyksteele maybe the player to come in as he is after all a defensive midfielder or DeSylva. So:-

Amos
    Konsa. Bauer. Pearce. Page
    Dyksteele.Kashi Foster-Caskey
    Reeves
    Mag. Ajose.

Or move Foster-Caskey to the left and DaSilva left. I have gone with Dyksteele as I think RB needs more cover.
  • 2-1 home win.
    I was wrong about the score in the Portsmouth game (I said 1-2 away win) but got the result right at least.
    I'll settle for getting this result right too, that's for sure.
  • edited April 2018
    When we played them away I didn't think think they looked nearly as good as Shrewsbury or Wigan have against us. They were solid defensively but not great going forward. But the numbers don't lie, and Armstrong and Payne were good additions (both in Jan I believe).

I'd happily take a point. They're a good lesson in getting in a bunch of players with lower league experience to be successful, as opposed to say a Wigan or an us who are looking more at players with big upsides.

I'd like to see Aribo tried in that 10 role. I don't think he's a perfect match for it but I think he's better suited to it than Kaikai has shown himself to be or than Marshall is, with Mav and Fosu out.
  • matt88 said:

They have 1 defeat in 33 in the league... I'll happily take a point.

Yikes
  • Sponsored links:

• In a all brutal honesty I have tried to keep myself grounded after the Shrewsbury result then after the Pompey result. Not always very well to be brutally honest. Just because deep down I know things could still go wrong in terms of reaching the play-offs. I think we will squeek in though.
  • Redrobo said:

I don’t think DaSilva will start. I think it will be Kaikai or Marshall.

It's Bradley, not Mark
    If only Roland could have stretched his short arms further down his deep pockets we could have got Dack.
  • Redrobo said:

It's Bradley, not Mark
    If only Roland could have stretched his short arms further down his deep pockets we could have got Dack.
    I think he keeps his money in his socks.
  • Charlton to win by the odd goal.
  • Can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • 1-1 draw leaving us needing to win at Rochdale next week.
  • A draw to keep the pot boiling until the Rochdale game, where a win and possibly even a draw will get us in. 1-1
  • Redrobo said:

It's Bradley, not Mark
    Yeah maybe, but I can also understand a hesitancy from a good owner to spend 750k plus presumably decent sized wages on a player who has never played above League One. We probably got Clarke, Reeves, and Fosu for that amount. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good player, it's just I feel like we say this about everyone we don't sign (and I know it's particularly painful that he and Otzumer were in our academy) and I'd rather we sign Reeves, Fosu, and Clarke and if we had that imaginary 750k use it on a forward.