Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn 28/04/2018 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Fucking brilliant result. Well done Charlton. Love this club
  • Fucking brilliant result. Well done Charlton. Love this club

"Embrace yourself Rodney "
  • I get the adulation for Marshall, he chased,harried and covered a lot yestrday, however, his crossing,decision-making and shooting is poor - and has been all season - needs to work on that.
  • edited April 2018
    Woke up this morning feeling fine - well that’s not true, I’ve got the beer shakes... nothing like going out and having a skinful when you team has done you proud.

Top drawer again yesterday. The transformation under Bowyer has been unreal. Even if we miss the play offs or get knocked out, what Bowyer has achieved is incredible - a man with no managerial experience has turned a group of players that had no confidence and heading for mid table, in to promotion contenders. Robinson should be ashamed of himself.

Marshall and Amos were outstanding. But yet again, a real team performance where not one single player had a bad game.

More of the same please next week - can’t wait for it.
  • Just looking at the table.

If Scunny and Plymouth draw, they could both make the play offs with a draw (Scunny) and a win (Plymouth) in their last games if we fail to beat Rochdale.

A win next weekend may well be essential to avoid missing out.
  • edited April 2018
    Agree Josh wasn't winning his share of headers in the first half but he won 90% of them in the second. It is just we had a lead to hang on to against a good side. Better technically than Wigan by a margin IMO. Amari Bell is a terrific player with a great future. I have been critical of us sitting back in the past but this was a different sort of game to when we allow inferior opponents to come at us. I called it before the game and tactically Bowyer was spot on.

We are technically superior to all the teams we now have to face (hopefully more than one :)). Tuesday's game is going to be the same as watching us in terms of involvement. We will all be Scunthorpe fans for the evening as they could put this to bed with a win.
  • Just looking at the table.

If Scunny and Plymouth draw, they could both make the play offs with a draw (Scunny) and a win (Plymouth) in their last games if we fail to beat Rochdale.

A win next weekend may well be essential to avoid missing out.

And beating Dale not a given. They have played 7 of the top 9 in recent weeks and only lost to Wigan, beating Rotherham, Shrews and Peterborough.
  • I get the adulation for Marshall, he chased,harried and covered a lot yestrday, however, his crossing,decision-making and shooting is poor - and has been all season - needs to work on that.

What he said.
  • A Scunthorpe win on Tuesday means we have to lose badly and Plymouth win well for them to overtake us on GD. Not wishing to tempt fate, and finishing 5th or 6th won't make too much difference to the opposition in the SF, so I'll be hoping for a Scunthorpe win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackburn were 27 points ahead of us and 15 games unbeaten before the game yesterday. No ifs, no buts, it was a fantastic performance to win in such a pressure situation, especially considering our talented visitor’s intents upon the league title. To paraphrase Churchill, 'Every man had prepared himself to do his duty, whatever it may be, with special pride and care'. (Too much? :smile: )

The atmosphere was Premier league. From my seat in the East Stand the Covered End easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans.

Interesting listening to Bowyer on Radio London whilst travelling home. He dedicated most of the interview waxing lyrical about Ben Amos. Bowyer said that Amos may have been a good keeper when he arrived at the Valley, but has subsequently been turned into a fantastic keeper, primarily by the work of Lee Turner.

He has definitely improved. Not from being bad, but his level has gone up a few notches.
  • ROLAND OUT!
  • Solid if unspectacular performance. Everybody put in a shift and thank heavens for Pearse's arse.

And the Victor Meldrew award for post of the season goes to . . . . . . .

yeah, for a full back he was brilliant but for a winger he was pretty crap.
  • I worry about beating Rochdale, we definitely find it harder to beat the lesser teams...

I was expecting a lot more from him this season. Our midfield in general lacks attacking threat.
  • Blackburn were 27 points ahead of us and 15 games unbeaten before the game yesterday. No ifs, no buts, it was a fantastic performance to win in such a pressure situation, especially considering our talented visitor’s intents upon the league title. To paraphrase Churchill, 'Every man had prepared himself to do his duty, whatever it may be, with special pride and care'. (Too much? :smile: )

The atmosphere was Premier league. From my seat in the East Stand the Covered End easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans.

Interesting listening to Bowyer on Radio London whilst travelling home. He dedicated most of the interview waxing lyrical about Ben Amos. Bowyer said that Amos may have been a good keeper when he arrived at the Valley, but has subsequently been turned into a fantastic keeper, primarily by the work of Lee Turner.

Interesting point 'the Covered end easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans'.
    From the Covered I only heard them once and thought their support very poor.
  • Fantastic defensive display, and a lucky win. We deserve some luck. My only complaint is Ajose, he would never have got a game under Curbishley. In a game like this he has to be aware and make it difficult for Blackburn’s midfield as the ball comes back out from an attack. He is too slow to react and I actually looked across to Bowyer when he didn’t react for about the 5th time second half . Bowyer immediately called the sub up to replace him.
    Was shocked at Marshall, never knew he had that in him, played superb. I don’t like Kashi , but he had a pretty good game. I feel he will cost us in a big way if we’re not careful. You watch them play and cannot believe what happened a few weeks back with Wimbledon and Scunthorpe when they were hopeless.
    We will win at Wembley with a very very late goal. It is written.
  • Fumbluff said:

I worry about beating Rochdale, we definitely find it harder to beat the lesser teams...

You're right. We really struggled to beat Northampton a few weeks ago...
  • Sponsored links:

• We struggle when they put bodies behind the ball and don't try to beat us and then hope for a defensive lapse - Rochdale will need to beat us which is a positive.
  • Essex_Al said:

Solid if unspectacular performance. Everybody put in a shift and thank heavens for Pearse's arse.

And the Victor Meldrew award for post of the season goes to . . . . . . .
    Oi, watch it. Meldrew's far more upbeat than me.

Another Meldrew job.
  • Brilliant battling display and the lucky goal enabled us to dig in as i think we all recognise that without fosu, we struggle to play / open teams up - keeping him next season and adding some quality up front must be the priority in the summer, regardless of what division we are in. The slump post october and the recent blip both directly correlate with fosu getting injured. I think we can grind our way past rochdale and probably rotherham in the semi's but we need him back to win at wembley - we also need mavidivi to produce what he's capable of.
  • edited April 2018

We struggle when they put bodies behind the ball and don't try to beat us and then hope for a defensive lapse - Rochdale will need to beat us which is a positive.

Agree but would rather Rochdale were safe and thinking of their hols.
    Rochdale played well at the valley and went 1 up, before we upped our game and won 2-1.
    They have a decent record against the top teams and need a win to stay up. CAFC need to be on their A game as a win is not a shay.
  • TEL said:

Nerves in shreds. On to Rochdale,,,,,we know what we have to do. Our midfield won us the game, immense.

Funnily enough, I wasn't nervous during Blackburn's attacks. That just shows the improvement since KR left. Back in those days, I wasn't worried we'd concede a last minute equaliser, I expected it.
  • Ref today was superb.....but loses a point for 7 minutes went up.

The ref doesn't decide that, it's in the remit of the fourth official.
  • JamesSeed said:

stonemuse said:
    For God's sake man, it's 'too'!

Seriously, very pleased the injury's not too serious. Apart from that misplaced pass, another top performance today.

Never thought I'd be given Marshall a MOTM largely for a defensive performance. He was amazing, hitting form just at the right time.

Felt lucky to be there today.
    For God's sake man, it's 'giving'!
    ffs lol
  • SDAddick said:

stonemuse said:
    Good to see. I was worried he'd broken his leg.
    Your getting Lennon and Page confused mate

Likewise I thought it was a broken leg for the latter - Appears to be a few stiches yet having seen the incident back on the highlights Im still not sure what happens as doesnt look like he gets caught