Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn 28/04/2018 - POST MATCH THREAD

15678911»

Comments

• Blackburn were 27 points ahead of us and 15 games unbeaten before the game yesterday. No ifs, no buts, it was a fantastic performance to win in such a pressure situation, especially considering our talented visitor’s intents upon the league title. To paraphrase Churchill, 'Every man had prepared himself to do his duty, whatever it may be, with special pride and care'. (Too much? :smile: )

The atmosphere was Premier league. From my seat in the East Stand the Covered End easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans.

Interesting listening to Bowyer on Radio London whilst travelling home. He dedicated most of the interview waxing lyrical about Ben Amos. Bowyer said that Amos may have been a good keeper when he arrived at the Valley, but has subsequently been turned into a fantastic keeper, primarily by the work of Lee Turner.

Interesting point 'the Covered end easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans'.
    From the Covered I only heard them once and thought their support very poor.
    I try to go in the North Upper now when attending,but previously I have sat in all parts of the ground. As has been discussed before on here, the acoustics from the Jimmy Seed stand are far better than the North, so a smaller contingent of fans can often sound much louder than the Covered End. To hear the Covered End drowned out a full Jimmy Seed stand pays testament to how good the Covered End were on Saturday. My ribs are still vibrating from the noise.
  • Solid if unspectacular performance. Everybody put in a shift and thank heavens for Pearse's arse.

Back in the day if that shot had hit Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's ARSE it would have rebounded and knocked out the shooter !
    Sam, If it had hit JFH's arse he would of picked it out of his arse crack six weeks later!
  • ross1 said:

One shot, one goal
    Charlton bolstered their play-off hopes with a crucial win, beating already-promoted Blackburn 1-0 at the Valley. They did this despite having only one shot on goal in the entire game. That's only the second time since December 2014 that a team in England's top four divisions won a match after scoring from their only shot on goal - Sunderland also did so when beating Nottingham Forest 1-0 earlier this season.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/935664423?-11197:833

One shot? Despite the JFC effort towards the end? I don’t care if Kashi’s effort was going wide, because the one of Pearce’s arse wasn’t, so that must count as the first on target.
  • ross1 said:

One shot, one goal
    Charlton bolstered their play-off hopes with a crucial win, beating already-promoted Blackburn 1-0 at the Valley. They did this despite having only one shot on goal in the entire game. That's only the second time since December 2014 that a team in England's top four divisions won a match after scoring from their only shot on goal - Sunderland also did so when beating Nottingham Forest 1-0 earlier this season.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/935664423?-11197:833

Isn't the goal a shot on goal, then JFK had a shot saved in the second half. How do they work it out as one shot?
  • I don't think it was that extreme - a couple of good saves by Amos and they hit the bar - we had a great chance too.

Agreed but let's keep it British... Rorke's Drift comes to mind!

• So if the Pearce deflection did not count as a shot we nearly won with no shots on target.

And the mighty Blackburn had three shots on target. The stats that matter is that we won 1-0.

Plenty of sides have had a huge slice of luck playing against us and I think on the match preview thread someone was saying that a Blackburn supporter had said how they have had more than their fair share of luck this season.
  • I now never believe any stats I see after @lancashire lad statbank earlier in the season didn't show us hitting the post, even though I was at the game and remember us doing so. In his defence he said that he gets his stats from TPA and so has to go by what they say.

As they says, there are lies, damn lies and statistics !
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice recognition for Lee Bowyer and Ahmed Kashi

Who else do you think should have been included?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ae721f7e4d17/charlton-duo-recognised-by-the-football-league-paper … #cafc

• Whose decision was it to play I'm Into Something Good as soon as the full time whistle was blown?

Pretty please, don't do it again.

With the atmosphere being as amazing as it was, all the post game music pissed me off, it only ever stopped for the announcer and when Jacko spoke. Rest of the time it drowned out the atmosphere, and with pop music too ffs
  • Whose decision was it to play I'm Into Something Good as soon as the full time whistle was blown?

You didnt stream the Pompey game then Callum?
  • DOUCHER said:

Brilliant battling display and the lucky goal enabled us to dig in as i think we all recognise that without fosu, we struggle to play / open teams up - keeping him next season and adding some quality up front must be the priority in the summer, regardless of what division we are in. The slump post october and the recent blip both directly correlate with fosu getting injured. I think we can grind our way past rochdale and probably rotherham in the semi's but we need him back to win at wembley - we also need mavidivi to produce what he's capable of.

Agreed. But a player like Ajose is also capable of having an impact on the big stage.
  • Redrobo said:

Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
    Closest thing was probably Vetokele in his first few games. I do think if we go up Ajose and Magennis are decent enough as back ups but I would love us to sign Pitman and Graham Carey from this league and either Eisa or Stockley from league 2, both had great season and on a lot of clubs radars.
    I heard interest in Eisa is rising. He'd be a sound investment.
    More of a winger than a centre forward.

A centre forward is where all our money needs to be spent next season. Whatever league we are in.
    Whosh!! I guess you've never watched Jeff Stelling's show on Sky Sport very much.
  • JamesSeed said:

DOUCHER said:

Brilliant battling display and the lucky goal enabled us to dig in as i think we all recognise that without fosu, we struggle to play / open teams up - keeping him next season and adding some quality up front must be the priority in the summer, regardless of what division we are in. The slump post october and the recent blip both directly correlate with fosu getting injured. I think we can grind our way past rochdale and probably rotherham in the semi's but we need him back to win at wembley - we also need mavidivi to produce what he's capable of.

Agreed. But a player like Ajose is also capable of having an impact on the big stage.
    As much as I think Ajose is working hard, he seems to be the second coming of Pele in some people's eyes.

With the atmosphere being as amazing as it was, all the post game music pissed me off, it only ever stopped for the announcer and when Jacko spoke. Rest of the time it drowned out the atmosphere, and with pop music too ffs
    Just be grateful Katrien is gone otherwise it would have been a house dj.
  • wmcf123 said:

JamesSeed said:

DOUCHER said:

As much as I think Ajose is working hard, he seems to be the second coming of Pele in some people's eyes.
    Not in mine. But he might just do something on the big day, if we make it there. He's shown signs that he's capable of doing something special since his comeback. The one goal might have been three or four, had it not been for some outstanding saves. But It's more of a hunch really.
  • edited April 2018

Whose decision was it to play I'm Into Something Good as soon as the full time whistle was blown?

You didnt stream the Pompey game then Callum?
    Why is a match at Fratton Park relevant to music being played at the Valley? To answer the question, I did stream it.
  • JamesSeed said:

wmcf123 said:

JamesSeed said:

DOUCHER said:

Not in mine. But he might just do something on the big day, if we make it there. He's shown signs that he's capable of doing something special since his comeback. The one goal might have been three or four, had it not been for some outstanding saves. But It's more of a hunch really.
    He is what we have and a useful addition the the team/squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Nice recognition for Lee Bowyer and Ahmed Kashi

Who else do you think should have been included?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ae721f7e4d17/charlton-duo-recognised-by-the-football-league-paper … #cafc

Baffles me how the Shrewsbury 'keeper is in there over Ben Amos

He might be their No.2 yet didnt keep a clean sheet
  • edited May 2018
    just watched the game on Valley Pass, what a brilliant defending and harrying job they did but as for any attacking build up forget it. We scored a very fortunate goal, and we did have 4 other shots at goal, but the play in the final third was poor. Just hope Rochdale don't score and then park the bus as on that display we'll never get passed it, but brilliant defending by all of them.

Can't have everything I s'pose.
  • I now never believe any stats I see after @lancashire lad statbank earlier in the season didn't show us hitting the post, even though I was at the game and remember us doing so. In his defence he said that he gets his stats from TPA and so has to go by what they say.

As they says, there are lies, damn lies and statistics !

I think that is very unfair, you were the only person to say the post was hit, no other Lifer supported you and I won't just change a stat because one person says so, in the case of this game I have watched the whole game on VP and it will be reflected in the Statbank.
  • Some people very harsh on Ajose on the player marks thread, he was never going to get a lot of the ball but ran the channels and created space whilst he was on. Magennis with another drastically improved performance too, won more than his fair share of headers (still a bit of a lottery as to where they go once he has won them though)
  • Redrobo said:

Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
    Closest thing was probably Vetokele in his first few games. I do think if we go up Ajose and Magennis are decent enough as back ups but I would love us to sign Pitman and Graham Carey from this league and either Eisa or Stockley from league 2, both had great season and on a lot of clubs radars.
    I heard interest in Eisa is rising. He'd be a sound investment.
    More of a winger than a centre forward.

A centre forward is where all our money needs to be spent next season. Whatever league we are in.
    Whosh!! I guess you've never watched Jeff Stelling's show on Sky Sport very much.
    Nah, Sky only do Prem games really, plus I think he usually does a Saturday show and Charlton are playing