Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options
    Grant 3 - Taylor 3
  • Options
    I rate him very highly as a money grabbing snake. Just like the opposition manager. 

Many people on here were saying that he'd leave Huddersfield in the summer as a Premiership team were bound to come in for him......
    You also said he wouldn't score any goals in the Prem or the Champs.

Just give it up you boring man.
  • Options
    Moaning about someone signing for more money and he is a financial adviser who tries to get the best deal for his clients .
    i mean odd proper fucking odd 

Maybe he doesn't try to get the best deal for his clients? Maybe he's some unique sort of financial adviser that tells his clients where to invest money for the greater good of society, with only mediocre returns for themselves?

Nah, I didn't think so either!

• Options
    I rate him very highly as a money grabbing snake. Just like the opposition manager. 

Many people on here were saying that he'd leave Huddersfield in the summer as a Premiership team were bound to come in for him......
    Do you cheer on the likes of Taylor, Aneke, Lockyer and Oshilaja or do you boo them for walking out on their previous clubs to sign a better deal with us?

Let's not forget that the season before, we loaned Grant to Crawley and if he'd done poorly there he'd probably never have played for us again and would've then been let go on a free and you'd be saying it was good to get rid of the dead wood. 
    All the players you mention were at the end if their contracts & so therefore free agents. Not the same thing at all. Grant left for one reason only. Money. 
    It was also the chance to play in the Premier League.

Whatever the money, that's an exciting opportunity for any youngster .... not many get the chance.

• Options

Do you cheer on the likes of Taylor, Aneke, Lockyer and Oshilaja or do you boo them for walking out on their previous clubs to sign a better deal with us?

Let's not forget that the season before, we loaned Grant to Crawley and if he'd done poorly there he'd probably never have played for us again and would've then been let go on a free and you'd be saying it was good to get rid of the dead wood. 
    All the players you mention were at the end if their contracts & so therefore free agents. Not the same thing at all. Grant left for one reason only. Money. 
    You’re almost certainly correct. He did what any sane young man would have done in the circumstances. Good luck to him.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Yes but all were offered contracts by their clubs, but they chose to leave. Why do you think that was?

Do you think perhaps it might have been to move to another club for more money?

Free agents usually become free agents for 2 reasons, either their club doesn't want them, or they see out their contract because their agent has got wind of a better deal elsewhere. So in most cases it's exactly the same as Grant wanting to leave us.
  • Options

Yes but all were offered contracts by their clubs, but they chose to leave. Why do you think that was?

Free agents usually become free agents for 2 reasons, either their club doesn't want them, or they see out their contract because their agent has got wind of a better deal elsewhere. So in most cases it's exactly the same as Grant wanting to leave us.
    At the end of this, it seems that the pair of you agree that players are moving for more money?
  • Options

At the end of this, it seems that the pair of you agree that players are moving for more money?
    I've never denied that fact. Didn't they offer him about 20k a week? It's a no brainer for him to leave a (then) league one club for a premier league club on that money. 

I just don't get why people get worked up and call players 'money grabbers' for taking a better offer. Clubs don't show loyalty to players if they're not good enough, so why do we expect players (who are doing a job, they're not fans) to show loyalty and turn down good offers?
    I agree with you totally.  For players to have a life changing move then I am with them 100%, could the likes of Hamer and Elliott give a f*** they have played very little football since they left Charlton?  Of course not, they are made for life.

I have a problem with the 'elite' players.  When you are getting paid 200k plus a week, to move for an extra 50k is incidental money, you cannot spend it.  Gareth Bale springs to mind with the move to China that seemed to break down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is scoring pretty regularly,but I fear his club is in freefall,and will struggle this year,they let their best player,Mooy,leave and I wonder what the clubs mindset now is.
  • Options
    He is scoring pretty regularly,but I fear his club is in freefall,and will struggle this year,they let their best player,Mooy,leave and I wonder what the clubs mindset now is.
    If Huddersfield struggle but Karlan is still scoring regularly ..... he'll be head hunted by another club with January money to burn.

It may even be a return to the Prem for him.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    He will be sold at year end for £12-15M and our club will see none of it. Aribo the same, or at latest next season.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It was also the chance to play in the Premier League.

Whatever the money, that's an exciting opportunity for any youngster .... not many get the chance.

For all of 4 months. But he got to shake hands with Ozil, Kane & Vardy.....so cant be all bad. 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    If Huddersfield struggle but Karlan is still scoring regularly ..... he'll be head hunted by another club with January money to burn.

That was said this summer, but he's still there. 

I've got nothing against the lad, but as I've said before (and the same with Aribo) he didn't move for footballing reasons. Huddersfield were dead & buried when he joined them & everyone knew they were going down. All this guff about "opportunity to play in the Prem" is just that. Guff. He played 15 odd games. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

That was said this summer. Taylor had more interest by transfer deadline day. 
    Just read both your posts above, Golfie.

Can't understand why you're so cynical .... the lad did well enough in the Prem, scored goals and made a bit of name for himself.

It was also an education that he wouldn't have got in League One had he stayed.

This season he's scored 3 in the first 3 games. Okay, 2 were penalties but he nevertheless scored them; the other was a good header.

Don't you think other clubs are watching his progress?
  • Options
    He will be sold at year end for £12-15M and our club will see none of it. Aribo the same, or at latest next season.
    And the rest.

If he has a good season (20-25 goals) he'll get a premier league move for more than that.

Bristol City just sold a centre back for 20m!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I've got nothing against the lad, but as I've said before (and the same with Aribo) he didn't move for footballing reasons. Huddersfield were dead & buried when he joined them & everyone knew they were going down. All this guff about "opportunity to play in the Prem" is just that. Guff. He played 15 odd games. 
    15 games in the prem is a dream come true for anyone. Especially for someone who, one season before his transfer to the prem, couldn’t get into a League 1 Charlton side and was sent out on loan to Crawley. He got to score against his boyhood club Arsenal as well as a range of other teams. He also proved to other clubs that he’s capable of scoring against top class defences. Aribo may not have moved for footballing reason, but Karlan definitely did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:

15 games in the prem is a dream come true for anyone. Especially for someone who, one season before his transfer to the prem, couldn’t get into a League 1 Charlton side and was sent out on loan to Crawley. He got to score against his boyhood club Arsenal as well as a range of other teams. He also proved to other clubs that he’s capable of scoring against top class defences. Aribo may not have moved for footballing reason, but Karlan definitely did
    Even though Huddersfield were a Premier League team in name only as good as relegated and we were in the mix for promotion? There was always a good chance our paths would cross this season and now they are.

The footballing reasons are the same as available with us now - Championship football except Grant is obviously earning a lot more money than he did with us which is what it comes down to.

Look at our day at Wembley, Grant's money can't buy memories like that. All the best to him in his career but footballing reasons? we're dining at the same table and Huddersfield look in freefall.
  • Options
    You edited your last post, Golfie ..... however, your original post I quoted in my previous comment above and my reply was in response to that original post.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:

Even though Huddersfield were a Premier League team in name only as good as relegated and we were in the mix for promotion? There was always a good chance our paths would cross this season and now they are.

The footballing reasons are the same as available with us now - Championship football except Grant is obviously earning a lot more money than he did with us which is what it comes down to.

Look at our day at Wembley, Grant's money can't buy memories like that. All the best to him in his career but footballing reasons? we're dining at the same table and Huddersfield look in freefall.
    I strongly suspect that if you asked any player in our team at Wembley whether they would swop memories of that day for a guaranteed two million quid, they would chose the latter. 
    Taylor seemed quite keen a couple of weeks ago to leave Charlton for the dreaming spires of Brentford. I wonder why that was!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Mametz said:
    Oggy Red said:

I strongly suspect that if you asked any player in our team at Wembley whether that would swop memories of that day for a guaranteed two million quid, they would chose the latter.
    Taylor seemed quite keen a couple of weeks ago to leave Charlton for the dreaming spires of Brentford. I wonder why that was!
    Okay, lets start with Jonny Williams
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Oggy Red said:

I strongly suspect that if you asked any player in our team at Wembley whether that would swop memories of that day for a guaranteed two million quid, they would chose the latter.
    Okay, lets start with Johnny Williams
    What about him?
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Oggy Red said:

Was he keen?
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Oggy Red said:

Was he keen?
    According to lots of reports, he was very keen indeed.

Williams was released by Palace. A long history of injuries made getting a deal with even a Championship club unlikely so he came to Charlton on a six month deal. Left us at the end of the season, almost certainly hoping for a bigger deal elsewhere. When that didn’t happen he again signed for us.

Don’t get me wrong, Williams and Taylor have done us proud and seem to be excellent professionals. That is what they are, Professionals. They play for money. 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Oggy Red said:

Okay, lets start with Johnny Williams
    What about him?
    My previous post which highlights your comments in bold which you may have missed in your reply.
  • Options
    Couldn't help but think after watching us against Barnsley the damage we could do if we kept our players. Leko looked promising but he isn't near Grants level. If we kept Grant, Aribo and Bielik and shored up our defence a bit we could have got promoted this season I reckon, I don't think this league is as good as made out, too many prem mercanaries and paper teams
  • Options
    Couldn't help but think after watching us against Barnsley the damage we could do if we kept our players. Leko looked promising but he isn't near Grants level. If we kept Grant, Aribo and Bielik and shored up our defence a bit we could have got promoted this season I reckon, I don't think this league is as good as made out, too many prem mercanaries and paper teams
    Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Aribo Williams
    Grant Taylor

Subs: Amos Solly Sarr Pratley Gallagher Aneke Leko