Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan v Charlton | Sat 21 Sept | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Frustrating afternoon. Back to back defeats, for the first time in 2019.

Over to you.

Comments

• Always depressing to lose but I'd have taken 14 point from the first eight games.

We go again next week, we need to find a way to score without Taylor on the pitch.
  • Still a good start to the season, but to concede two goals from corners both scored by the same player is unacceptable.
  • Seemed second best in every nearly department today and games like this are what I expected when we got promoted. Taylor May be missing but we should still be a lot better and I think it's probably a case of needing time to find out how we can utilise the new attacking players we have better.

Positives were I thought Lockyer played well despite missing two great chances and Aneke looked decent. Aneke should’ve started ahead of Leko despite what Bowyer thinks about him not being a striker.

• Big disappointment today but think how you would feel if you were a Watford fan.
  • edited September 2019
    Teams have figured out how to stop us playing, and without Taylor and with Hemed still getting up to speed, we lack an outlet ball and we run out of ideas really quickly.

Think Cullen needs to be played at the base of the diamond. He's good at maintaining possession, playing in tight spaces, and switching the play. On the right of the diamond he's too conservative and ends up playing a sort of second defensive midfield. That would also leave a space for Kayal or JFC, both of whom are technically gifted, good defensively, and can look after the ball. The problem is I don't know if either of them are fit. 

Also think Aneke deserves a start with Hemed up front. He blows hot and cold but right now he looks far more consistent than Leko (who is more of a winger) and his pace and strength and touch can cause teams problems.
  • edited September 2019
    Lockyer was by far our best player and Bonne looked promising when he came on. Not sure Leko is the answer through a run of tough fixtures like this and he doesn't have a player like Lyle Taylor next to him.
  • edited September 2019
    Lockyer was by far our best player and Bonne looked promising when he came on.
    I agree on Lockyer. Bonne had little flashes but it's hard to tell because the game was stretched when he came on. 

As the lads said Lockyer handled Moore well. The problem was that our three best chances, arguably four best chances, all fell to Lockyer. He didn't put any of them in target. He is a CB but missing the target with the header is frustrating. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointing day yet cant really have many complaints

Wigan like Birmingham arent better than us but arent worse than us either - We just couldnt cope with Dunkley's pressence at set pieces today so fair play to them for that

Both Kieffer Moore and Jamal Lowe were dangerous in League One but very ineffective today for Wigan and could be their problem this season

Taylor is always going to be a big miss but as I said a couple of times, it doesnt matter if he's playing or not, if you cant pass the ball between yourself or press properly (players would remain far too deep long after set pieces had been cleared) then it wont make any difference, the latter will just invite a lot more pressure back on to yourself

Would definitely like to see Bonne given more of an opportunity based on his cameo today, showed more than what Leko can do who needs to learn to pass so much more - Its great when he beats one or two players but its bloody pointless when you dont have the sense to pick out a Charlton shirt at the end of it!!... The end of the game though simply clarrified proceedings, how we didnt come back from Wigan with a goal is beyond me; David Marshall (no mug at this level) making an outstanding stop to ensure it wasnt our day!!
  • Oggy Red said:

Who was it who said, "Don't let the highs get too high. Or the lows too low"......?

Someone who just lost, I bet. 😉
  • Went to watch local team St Blazey win 7-1...
  • Perspective yes, its been a great start, but anyone watching the last two games must see the reality check of Championship football.

Both Birmingham's winner and Wigans first today were the sort of strikes we didnt encounter last season, equally under pressure, both Birmingham and Wigan have got bodies making last ditch challenges that we felt we had trademarked. 

Onto Leeds next week, not a lot to take from today, anyway back in the Red Robin pub where they are showing Fylde v Eastleigh, great?! 
  • Only 3 points off the top.
  • Big disappointment today but think how you would feel if you were a Watford fan.
    If I was a Watford fan I would still feel better than being a stripy Nigel wankers fan
  • Sponsored links:

If I was a Watford fan I would still feel better than being a stripy Nigel wankers fan
    That was a real Palarse of a result wasn't it?
  • The start of the season has shown that any teams can get any result in this league. You need a bit of quality and a bit of luck and we've shown more quality than most of us expected, the last two weeks excepted. Of course teams now know more about the newly-promoted sides and Bowyer may have to change the gameplan a little more often

The first thing I noticed is that Dillon had to give up playing the short ball very quickly. Wigan must have expected this and were putting our defenders under pressure from the start. Wigan managed to dominate the midfield and I was impressed with a few of their players. Not sure about their strikers though. Did Dillon have a save to make apart from the two shots straight at him?

It's annoying we had to to go back to the season before last, when we conceded so many goals from corners. Needs working on.

Bonne had a good cameo and I like Chuks, who's a real handful. Surprised Hemed was taken off so early, though; he'd had a decent second half, useful in defence as well. Leko could be such a good player if he added a brain to his game!
  • The start of the season has shown that any teams can get any result in this league. You need a bit of quality and a bit of luck and we've shown more quality than most of us expected, the last two weeks excepted. Of course teams now know more about the newly-promoted sides and Bowyer may have to change the gameplan a little more often

The first thing I noticed is that Dillon had to give up playing the short ball very quickly. Wigan must have expected this and were putting our defenders under pressure from the start. Wigan managed to dominate the midfield and I was impressed with a few of their players. Not sure about their strikers though. Did Dillon have a save to make apart from the two shots straight at him?

It's annoying we had to to go back to the season before last, when we conceded so many goals from corners. Needs working on.

Bonne had a good cameo and I like Chuks, who's a real handful. Surprised Hemed was taken off so early, though; he'd had a decent second half, useful in defence as well. Leko could be such a good player if he added a brain to his game!
    Could say that the new rule is making it harder for Defenders / Goalkeepers - Now that a Goal kick can be passed to a team mate inside the box its meant that the opposition players can also be closer

Unless your the very best at playing out from the back then the added danger gets created now as you've less time / space to correct if you make an error
    That was a real Palarse of a result wasn't it?
    We should meet up for a beer and spend a couple of hours telling each other how much we hate the pricks. 
  • Last time we were in the Championship, we started well under Peeters, went to Reading, won and promptly imploded. #justsaying
  • Oh, and thanks Monserratt.
  • edited September 2019
    Watched on the stream. Easy to say we missed Taylor and it's all down to that, but we weren't good enough on the ball, especially in the first half. Too many poor decisions or moments of poor control of the ball. For everything Taylor brings he can't make decisions for other players. He can't move the ball from the back four to the other end, that's down to the rest of the team.

Our start wasn't proof we'd be promoted and these last two games aren't proof "we've been found out" or are a "one man team".

We'll find a way to cope without Taylor and we'll improve. Being Charlton we'll probably get a few unexpected results over the next 4/5 games.