Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January window postmortem

Comments

• It's Charlton innit?
  • The midfield looks sorted but we are relying very heavily on Lyle and Bonne, when he's fit again, for goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok pretty happy 
  • Depends if we stay up or not. 
  • I think this transfer window proves we don’t have rich benefactors . It’s a good window because we’ve strengthened and kept Lyle but I have my concerns that we couldn’t afford Maddison’s wages . 
  • Not a lot different to the last 7 or 8..which disappoints.

I'd like to know how many of Bowyers list we got anywhere near to?
    McGeady maybe?

Southall either completely misjudged the situation which you can sort of understand or  the whole thing was a bit of a charade.

I don't think too much work was involved in getting the players we got over the line.

This window was going to be judgement day for ESI. I'm surprised, considering what we've been through over the years, that so many of our support seem to be rolling out the excuses for them.

We are still at the 'talking the talk' stage for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really not sure on squad balance.

If Taylor gets injured or sulky, we’re in trouble.

If Lockyer gets injured or suspended, we’re in real trouble.

We’ve 6 loans but can only name 5 in a squad, so automatically have someone not even making the squad.

I’m not sure how we are going to manage that midfield in terms of getting players match fit, continuity, understanding and playing in a set formation when it’s going to have to be rotated so much to simply keep them happy? Those three loans wouldn’t have signed today if they weren’t promised a fair crack of game time, would they?.

How do you pick 4 / 5 out of:

Pratley
    Cullen
    Field
    Davis
    Smith
    Williams
    Oztumer
    McGeady
    Green
    Doughty
    Oshilaja
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan

Thats not even considering

Lapslie
    Aneke
    Dempsey

Do have to wonder if his injury is worse than we think and is another reason for getting a third Midfielder today
  • Russian roulette football with the lack of defence options and an abundance of attacking ones.

You score 4. We'll score 5.

Hope some of your tickers are up to it
  • Look on the brightside, we dont have to play three at the back anymore which was really pissing everyone off!!

We’ve 6 loans but can only name 5 in a squad, so automatically have someone not even making the squad.

I’m not sure how we are going to manage that midfield in terms of getting players match fit, continuity, understanding and playing in a set formation when it’s going to have to be rotated so much to simply keep them happy? Those three loans wouldn’t have signed today if they weren’t promised a fair crack of game time, would they?.

Pratley
    Cullen
    Field
    Davis
    Smith
    Williams
    Oztumer
    McGeady
    Green
    Doughty
    Oshilaja
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan

Lapslie
    Aneke
    Dempsey

16 midfielders there, Bowyer's gone a bit nuts
  • As long as the 2 strikers who have scored most of our goals stay fit then great. Without them we are powder puff up front. Hemed, Davison & Aneke have 3 goals between them. 

As windows go......5/10. Could do better.
  • Good. Bodies in that profess to be professional footballers, helps to resuscitate the injured while work goes on, off-field, to improve the risk of future injuries. This is all about planned sustainability.  Want us to rip into Barnsley tomorrow though a 0-1 defeat will not be a surprise, but neither is it the end of the world. Mid-table finish still a possibility.

Pratley
    Cullen
    Field
    Davis
    Smith
    Williams
    Oztumer
    McGeady
    Green
    Doughty
    Oshilaja
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan

Lapslie
    Aneke
    Dempsey

I literally forgot about JFC in my considerations about how strong our squad is post this window. That definitely makes me feel even more positive, but also again does make me more and more baffled by the Smith signing.

I do wonder if the last two years of massive injury lists has meant we have tried to over compensate.

If we are only going one up top now, then I think our striking options will be fine. Ideally I would have liked us to have spent money bringing in a quality CB who would have been with us long term. But maybe that's hard to do in January.