Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Been so long, forgotten he was number 4, then saw this thread bumped, and thought he was putting on his playing boots again!
  • This thread is exactly why we as football fans shouldn’t be fickle!! So glad he has signed, he’s done wonders for the club and a good guy too
  • That’s the Maple Leaf bar in Covent Garden 
  • Bless his cotton socks ! 

Charlton Legend and Captain Fantastic back in the day.
  • More importantly did Basey also run it in 4:06?

• Well done to him.  
  • Scoham said:
    I'm confused, have his legs gone or not?
    Sounds like they went at around 20.2 miles. 
  • good stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done that man. Legend 

• edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Around 20 miles is when the body's glycogen store is depleted and the body has to burn fat instead.

Glycogen is a carbohydrate that the body burns efficiently in endurance and high energy use.
    By comparison burning body fat is nowhere so efficient.

That's when Marathon runners can hit the wall.

In my time, I regularly ran half-marathons in decent times - the body copes with them easily, as it doesn't need to exhaust it's store of glycogen.

I've only ran 2 full marathons though - and while I got reasonable times, the recovery time afterwards knocked me out for a week, and so I decided marathons were not for me. But then the whole point of a marathon is to be an endurance test ...... to push the body beyond what it would naturally be capable of doing.

Well done, Jacko!
    This is why for my 2nd and 3rdMarathons I trained to 22 miles. Still a struggle after 20, but less so. Also Revvies & Carb shots to keep fuel in the system.

Also a proper carb load slowly increasing carbs in the build up to the night before a race should see the glycogen stores maintained for a bit longer. 

4th Marathon I ran purely on adrenalin of it being London and pain killers.

Given Jacko's time last year, I'd say he probably prepared a bit better for that one than this years. Which is understandable. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Around 20 miles is when the body's glycogen store is depleted and the body has to burn fat instead.

Glycogen is a carbohydrate that the body burns efficiently in endurance and high energy use.

In my time, I regularly ran half-marathons in decent times - the body copes with them easily, as it doesn't need to exhaust it's store of glycogen.

I've only ran 2 full marathons though - and while I got reasonable times, the recovery time afterwards knocked me out for a week, and so I decided marathons were not for me. But then the whole point of a marathon is to be an endurance test ...... to push the body beyond what it would naturally be capable of doing.

Well done, Jacko!
    This is why for my 2nd and 3rdMarathons I trained to 22 miles. Still a struggle after 20, but less so. Also Revvies & Carb shots to keep fuel in the system.

Also a proper carb load slowly increasing carbs in the build up to the night before a race should see the glycogen stores maintained for a bit longer. 

Given Jacko's time last year, I'd say he probably prepared a bit better for that one than this years. Which is understandable. 
    I assume being amongst 20000 other runners, being cheered on by a large crowd will give an extra 5% performance as well
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

Well done, Jacko!

I assume being amongst 20000 other runners, being cheered on by a large crowd will give an extra 5% performance as well
     Absolutely. The feeling of a positive crowd is awesome, as is overtaking people from 'faster' waves. Super motivating.
  • Excellent bump
  • Sponsored links:

• Now THAT is a goal celebration.

Forget all this choreographed dance move shit with stupid hand shapes to camera, just dive into the crowd and be done with it.
  • Now THAT is a goal celebration.

Forget all this choreographed dance move shit with stupid hand shapes to camera, just dive into the crowd and be done with it.
    That and the Knee slide. Proper celebration. Love it.

• Well said.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    He's a top bloke and a top professional and he loves CAFC!

I never thought I'd see a player/manager/person etc top Chris Powell when it came to the person, professionalism and the affection for CAFC and just getting it.

I think with JJ it's the nearest we've come and he may yet overtake the title of 'Sir'!
    Already has in my eyes.! 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    He's a top bloke and a top professional and he loves CAFC!

I never thought I'd see a player/manager/person etc top Chris Powell when it came to the person, professionalism and the affection for CAFC and just getting it.

I think with JJ it's the nearest we've come and he may yet overtake the title of 'Sir'!
    probably my No 1 CAFC related player/manager/person ever
  • edited June 2021
    I’m sure a few on here have met JJ in the flesh and would echo my view that he is very personable with no aires and graces and the sort of lad who you’d be delighted to have a pint with down the pub. Well done John and all the best to you for the future.
  • RedChaser said:
    I’m sure a few on here have met JJ in the flesh and would echo my view that he is very personable with no aires and graces and the sort of lad who you’d be delighted to have a pint with down the pub. Well done John and all the best to you for the future.
    100% this. Well said. The 2011 league winning season was a joy and one of my biggest memories is constantly bumping in to JJ (and other players) on away games in hotels/post-game drinks, and every time he took a moment to stop and chat about season in general or that day’s game. What a bloke.