Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cooking with rations

So what’s cooking good looking?
Despite being a trained chef & usually cooking for over 1000 a week I’ve found my love for home cooking again. It’s nice to spend more time family cooking rather than banging out meals at a rate of 2 a minute.
Store cupboard essentials coming into play but running low on bits & bobs forcing me to swap out bits & be more creative.
A bit low on mince tonight I’ve gone for a cottage pie with more veg than mince in the filling but topped with a corned beef mash & it was delicious.
Any inspirations for new dishes or rehashed classics?

Comments

• Bad light & black chopping block under a glass dish but defo not burnt
  • Bit late for the rate my plate, but here we go.

Horseradish and gravy did follow.

• Also made olive and rosemary bread with the kids earlier.
  • Nice to see the homemade yorkie pud!
  • On Sundays if I do a roast, I always go over on mash,roasts and veg for a bubble with left over meat on Monday. 

• Not exactly rations though? Was thinking more like spam pasta with chives (those being the only thing that’s currently growing in my garden)
  • Not exactly rations though? Was thinking more like spam pasta with chives (those being the only thing that’s currently growing in my garden)
    I pilfered the rosemary from next door's garden if that helps?
  • True wartime spirit.,..
  • Sponsored links:

• It's about making your food go further..no waste.
  • If you can stand him, Jamie Oliver's hastily produced 'keep cooking and carry on' is currently on C4 catch up. 
    just watched the first and it's pretty good.
  • @Spitfire76. What would you recommend as 'pantry' essentials?
  • @Spitfire76. What would you recommend as 'pantry' essentials?
    Boxer shorts
  • I want to start making bread, but we have enough bread! I particularly want to make the yeast. It looks surprisingly easy and will be very satisfying. My desire to make it will defeat my wife's desire for me not to make it pretty soon.
  • The usual suspects pastas rice noodles, all flours, breadcrumbs, sugers etc also some lentils both tinned & dried, Worcester sauce , soy sauce, dried hard herbs (rosemary,thyme , bay leaves  etc) , tins toms & purée, tinned fish (salmon , tuna , anchovies etc) , good supply of stock cubes & rubs.
    Special mention to the frozen pea!! 
  • Never made the yeast let us know how this goes 
  • Cheers Spitfire

I can feel a 'rate my plate' Coming on
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably a few days away yet, but we have the time. All you need is flour and water with no chlorine in it. (Bottled water should work).
  • edited March 2020
    Also made olive and rosemary bread with the kids earlier.
    That sounds delicious. If you've got a recipe I'd like to try it with my two kids.
    You have spam growing in your garden?
  • Spam fritters - mmmmmmmm. The only problem is my wife and son wouldn't eat them.
  • Addickted said:
    Not exactly rations though? Was thinking more like spam pasta with chives (those being the only thing that’s currently growing in my garden)
    You have spam growing in your garden?
    I get it emailed direct! 
  • Probably a few days away yet, but we have the time. All you need is flour and water with no chlorine in it. (Bottled water should work).
    Fancied trying the fruit method to make yeast apparently makes a crackin sour dough
  • That reminds me to add to store cupboard: dried & tinned fruits
  • Yes, I researched the different ways. The flour way looked easier to me. The thing is, when you make it you need to use it every day and keep topping up or you throw away as you top up.
  • So what’s cooking good looking?
    Despite being a trained chef & usually cooking for over 1000 a week I’ve found my love for home cooking again. It’s nice to spend more time family cooking rather than banging out meals at a rate of 2 a minute.
    Store cupboard essentials coming into play but running low on bits & bobs forcing me to swap out bits & be more creative.
    A bit low on mince tonight I’ve gone for a cottage pie with more veg than mince in the filling but topped with a corned beef mash & it was delicious.
    Any inspirations for new dishes or rehashed classics?
    Lentils with beef stick work as a really good alternative to mince if you’re running a bit low