Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Or are they just going to write it off and start again, seems a bit harsh if it did finish now as it’s the only time we’ve dropped in the bottom 3 all season.

I love watching footie in the summer when it’s nice and sunny and warm, so would love for it to be finished in June or July, with the new season starting in September.

All hypothetical I know, and really not important in the scheme of things at the moment, but it’s nice to think of some kind of normal in the future.

Comments

• I believe the season will be played out but behind closed doors.
  • My view will be nine games on a sat wed sat basis for a few weeks behind closed doors, shown on if you have it sky etc...
  • Or are they just going to write it off and start again, seems a bit harsh if it did finish now as it’s the only time we’ve dropped in the bottom 3 all season.

I love watching footie in the summer when it’s nice and sunny and warm, so would love for it to be finished in June or July, with the new season starting in September.

All hypothetical I know, and really not important in the scheme of things at the moment, but it’s nice to think of some kind of normal in the future.
    Also a bit harsh if it gets cancelled and you’ve been in the top two nearly all season. We are in the bottom three cos we are shit.

We need to suck it up and try and stay up when they finish this season before worrying about the next one. Which is what they will do IMO. And rightly so.
  • This has all been discussed here https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88517/ending-the-season-early-all-games-cancelled-till-4-april#latest and here https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88806/player-contracts-loans-ending-on-june-30th-2020/p1

Key thing is the contract situation on June 30th. If the season can be completed before then then fine, if not then I don't see how it can be. 

• It will be scrapped.    I'm convinced of it.

Agree
  • I cannot see any other way than scrapping it. Far too many legal issues to end it as it is and how can you ensure your whole squad and support staff are virus free throughout any behind close doors games?
  • I wonder how fast the season would finish if the £750 million didn't have to be paid back.
    For the season to finish they need to keep everyone virus free, overcome the 30th june contracts and can't be seen for preferential treatment. 
    Only takes 1 person to become infected , a team to lose a couple of players over contracts and others sports to say why are they allowed to play and not us.
    Then it's game over.
  • I think the 30th June contract expiry is the key thing to it being completed, it'll be carnage in the EFL
  • We will of had such a long lay off with no real team training it will be worse than a normal start to a season, (although our start to this season was good I can’t see it happening again). Add that to players being out of contract in about 75 ish days, we are in lockdown for at least another 20 days, it would probably mean playing into July and maybe further.
    I can’t see it happening, football might have to take it on the chin and regroup another day a start a fresh with whoever is left standing. 
    Give Liverpool the league and promote Leeds and relegate any one of the other clubs, by drawing straws  outside the Sky super 6. Sky Sports could even a special out of it.
  • Sponsored links:

I hope so. I don’t think we’ll come out of it well if we have to play those games, judging by what Bowyer was saying last night 
  • I honestly don’t know what they’ll do or what the right thing is to do. Is there no small print that can make the decision easy. Bit like a minimum amount of time has to be played in a match for the result to stand. I.e 80% matches have to be played for the season to be completed?
  • Scrapped. And we’ll be ok as bottom 2 will go down to allow top 2 of League 1 to come up.
  • Won’t play 9 games.

Either completely scrapped or some compromise for promotion/ relegation.

Probably completely voided. 
  • Behind closed doors all games televised. IMO they should play them at training grounds to minimise risk (behind closed doors at Elland Road for instance you know 30,000 L**ds fans will turn up and sing outside the ground still) 

Not sure if it's viable but maybe teams sharing training facilities etc to reduce risk, less staff contact overall in terms of groundsmen, catering etc, and playing games at training grounds with decent pitches, hypothetically we could share training facilities with a couple of other teams, given the size of Sparrows Lane. 

For the Premier League, they should base all teams in hotels near St George's Park and just play as many games as quickly as possible and put them all on TV and make a big event out of it, to replace the lack of Euros. Play games at 11, 1, 3, 5.15 and 7.30 every day, 5 games a day every day for 5 weeks, then last game of the season all 10 games on a match choice deal, would fill the 40 days with a festival of football. 
  • One of my Engineers is a Leeds fan and is keen to get the season finished obviously...We were discussing this last night and he is convinced they will finish it. 

We were discussing how many people would still go to the ground, how many people would they let in i.e in terms of camera crew, players, staff, admin, possible small catering for the players etc...

Think they could do it quite easily if the numbers are reduced to as low as reasonably practicable, not sure whether the authorities would allow it though.
  • sam3110 said:
    Behind closed doors all games televised. IMO they should play them at training grounds to minimise risk (behind closed doors at Elland Road for instance you know 30,000 L**ds fans will turn up and sing outside the ground still) 

Not sure if it's viable but maybe teams sharing training facilities etc to reduce risk, less staff contact overall in terms of groundsmen, catering etc, and playing games at training grounds with decent pitches, hypothetically we could share training facilities with a couple of other teams, given the size of Sparrows Lane. 

For the Premier League, they should base all teams in hotels near St George's Park and just play as many games as quickly as possible and put them all on TV and make a big event out of it, to replace the lack of Euros. Play games at 11, 1, 3, 5.15 and 7.30 every day, 5 games a day every day for 5 weeks, then last game of the season all 10 games on a match choice deal, would fill the 40 days with a festival of football. 
    Reckon some people will turn up wherever the games are played. Also think consideration needs to be given to players, officials etc who need to be at the games. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    One of my Engineers is a Leeds fan and is keen to get the season finished obviously...We were discussing this last night and he is convinced they will finish it. 

We were discussing how many people would still go to the ground, how many people would they let in i.e in terms of camera crew, players, staff, admin, possible small catering for the players etc...

Think they could do it quite easily if the numbers are reduced to as low as reasonably practicable, not sure whether the authorities would allow it though.
    Was chatting about the numbers with a work colleague yesterday

(40) - You've probably got about 18-20 players from each team that'll turn up to each game (wont necessarily be the same players each week either as you'll have injury / suspension)
    e.g. you cant just order that the only players that turn up are the 16 in the match day squad as if there is illness that morning or injury occures during the warm up what then?

(4) - The number of officials required for the game
    (20) - Roughly ten people on the backroom staff (Manager | Assistant | Coaches | Physios etc.) for each team
    (4) - Camera Crew?
    (4) - Comms Teams / Radio coverage to provide match updates for those who wont be watching games or have twitter etc.

Then you've got the St. Johns Ambulance and Police who'll surely be required - the latter to ensure that fans dont show up at grounds which is bound to happen

So roughly you can expect around 80-100 people working at each game

To put that into context - there will be 46 games held in the top four Divisions each round meaning that 4,600 people will be required each week to complete a game... In the Premier League alone there will be roughly 9,000 people required to complete the entire season (thats not taking into account the Football League games)... Of course put the St. John's Ambulance and Police back into the equasion thats a good number of staff that could be deployed to areas that are more needed

Oh and thats just one Sport, when you then think about Golf | Formula One etc. restarting behind closed doors then even more numbers are involved - Nor do they appear to be taking into account the logistics; Brighton v Newcastle is one game still to be played - What do they tell Newcastle they have to travel down on the day of the game (Hotels cant be used surely?), then you've either got to factor in the Bus Driver or if they go via. an Airport then you've got to add in people there etc.
  • I hope the players are brushing up on their FIFA skills so it can be settled from the comfort of their own homes
  • Can't see why we should want football to resume. I expect resumption would import net additional risk for cafc at this extremely difficult time. 

Aside from very legitimate health worries for players and fans, it will mean additional costs and almost guaranteed relegation for us. As Bowyer said on Talksport, though he says he'd personally love the season to complete as the "right thing to do", there are players who would be unable to give their all, owing to contract end dates, and a couple who have pregnant wives.

On the other hand, by not resuming there could be additional legal challenges from suppliers on contracts demanding payment. And the loss of matchday revenues which would help cover some operating expenditure. I expect those can be managed more easily where most of society is trying to manage broadly the same issue, assuming money is made available to cover this contingency.
  • Too much is at stake to either abandon or curtail the season .. as has been said above, 2 games a week behind closed doors in mid/late summer is most likely, with next season starting a month late. Remember the Euros are inked in for next summer, so I would not be surprised if all the cups, league, FA etc. etc. are abandoned next season.

The issue will be the players fitness and the much discussed contractual situations. The FA/UEFA/FIFA must not allow any players moving clubs after their contracts expire on June 30th to play for any other club until this season is resolved. Fitness ? .. be prepared for  lot of sub standard performances and some dodgy, rusty teamwork 
  • The player contract situation is not as such regulated by FIFA but by English law. If your contract is to June the 30th then you are free to move on then as you like. If the club want you to stay to finish the season then you have to agree to it and I do not expect any footballer will do that for free.
  • Don’t actually think the UK TV companies will ask for the £750 million back. Having more matches in the future, would be a much better strategy to use for negotiations. Wouldn’t look good for Sky/BT product if all the best players moved abroad because no one could afford to keep them,

Still reckon they will scrap the season. I think they will push these crazy ideas which aren’t possible to mitigate the legal challenges, by saying we tried everything but it wasn’t possible to finish the season.