Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2020/21 Europa League

Thought I’d start this thread as I’d started the CL one last week.

Obviously the 2019/20 EL Final is this Friday, Inter vs Sevilla.

Meanwhile, the qualifying rounds for next seasons competition start this week.

Unlike the Champions League there is English interest in the Europa League qualification with Spurs featuring in the 2nd qualifying round. They will find out their opponents at the end of August.

All qualifying rounds, including the play off round are single legs this year.
Another change is that games will be played Tuesday-Thursday (for qualifying rounds).

VAR will not be in the group stages as planned but will return for the knockout rounds (same as this season).

Comments

• Lots of British and Irish teams playing this week and next week as well:

Lincoln Red Imps (Gib)

St. Joseph's (Gib)

Barry (Wales)

Glentoran (NI)

Coleraine (NI)

Derry (ROI)

Bohemians (ROI)

TNS (Wales)

Bala Town (Wales)

Motherwell (Sco)

Aberdeen (Sco)

Shamrock Rovers (ROI)

• Some shocks in the Europa League

These 1 legged ties really are causing a few upsets

Hibernians from Malta beat Vaduz (Hibernians were 11/1 pre game)

Teuta from Albania beat B.Jerusalem (Teuta were 3/1 Pre game)

Lincoln from Gibraltar beat a team from Luxembourg which may not sound a shock but again Lincoln were 11/5 pre game

Renova from Macedonia beat Alashkert(Renova were 15/4 pregame)

• There was also some great wins for British sides

Some expected but some very unexpected and also shocks

Aberdeen beat Runavik 6-0
    Motherwell beat Glentoran 5-1
    Shamrock beat Ives after penalties 

They probably all expected to go through
  • TNS beat Zilina 3-1 after extra time

Bala Town beat Valletta 1-0

Coleraine beat Maribir on penalties 

Those 3 were very unexpected and great results for those teams
  • edited August 2020
    Coleraine's win against Maribor is one of the best results in Northern Irish Club football history. Maribor were in the champions league group stage 3 years ago. 

Also worth noting that Coleraine's win now means that Motherwell will be seeded in the next round so will avoid teams like AC Milan and Tottenham in the draw. 
  • Not typing out the whole draw for this one just the British and Irish clubs

Inter Escaldes v Dundalk

Linfield v Floriana

Connah's Quay v Dinamo Tbilisi 

B36 Torshavn v TNS

Lokomotiv Plovdiv v Tottenham 

Lincoln Red Imps v Rangers

Shamrock Rovers v AC  Milan

Coleraine v Motherwell 

Viking v Aberdeen 

Bala Town v Standard Leige

• Some great games in there I mean Shamrock welcoming AC Milan to their ground, what a shame there wont be a full stadium for that one
  • same for Bala Town to host Standard Leige
  • edited August 2020
    follett said:
    Coleraine's win against Maribor is one of the best results in Northern Irish Club football history. Maribor were in the champions league group stage 3 years ago. 

Also worth noting that Coleraine's win now means that Motherwell will be seeded in the next round so will avoid teams like AC Milan and Tottenham in the draw. 
    And they got each other 🤣🤣
  • Haha Plovdiv.  You couldnt make kt up lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some great games in there I mean Shamrock welcoming AC Milan to their ground, what a shame there wont be a full stadium for that one
    Not only that but single leg games means they miss out on the chance to play in the San Siro.
    Got a mate over there, who supports Rovers, he was moaning yesterday about not being able to see the game. I said I know your trouble, I can’t get see Charlton at Lincoln away.
    Not only that but single leg games means they miss out on the chance to play in the San Siro.
    It'll certainly allow Shamrock to sit back even more and hope for a penalty shootout or a goal on the break

Not saying its a bad thing but it'll surely be a cause for the upsets we've seen of late
  • Single leg definitely opens up the possibility of a few shocks. Lincoln Red Imps snuck a win against Celtic in Gibraltar in the first leag a few years back before getting battered in Glasgow.
  • Spurs in Bulgaria were 1-0 down against Plovdiv.
    Just 10 minute to go and the home team go down to 10 men. Spurs 1-1. Then Plovdiv reduced to 9 before Spurs made it 2-1
  • Think they were down to 9 before the penalty.

Shkendija (they're from Macedonia) away next week for Spurs

• AC Milan name a strong side including Zlatan for their game at Shamrock
  • Spurs in Bulgaria were 1-0 down against Plovdiv.
    Just 10 minute to go and the home team go down to 10 men. Spurs 1-1. Then Plovdiv reduced to 9 before Spurs made it 2-1
    Fcuk me, dodged a bullet there.
  • AC Milan name a strong side including Zlatan for their game at Shamrock
    And Zlatan scores.
  • Think they were down to 9 before the penalty.

Shkendija (they're from Macedonia) away next week for Spurs

Deliberate handball on the goal line
    Pen and red card.
    Then one of their players got caught kicking up the penalty spot lol.  2nd yellow and 2nd red in the space of a minute!

Scoreline doesnt really reflect the whole story.  Dominated the game for the entire 90 mins, blatant stonewall pen turned down, numerous chances missed, then they score with their one and only effort on goal.  I was convinced we was going out tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crazy game in Serbia tonight.

Backa Topola (yep never heard of them either until tonight) who played the entire second half with 10 men and most of extra time with 9 men, drew 6-6 with Steaua Bucharest.
  • Backa Topola lost on penalties
  • It's great fun playing "Guess the Country". Looking down the fixtures and working out which obscure footballing backwater names you have never heard of come from. 

I need to get out more...    
  • Spurs win 3-1 in Macedonia. Their fixture list is crazy.

Next week they play: Newcastle Sunday, Chelsea Tuesday, Maccabi Haifa Thursday, Man Utd Sunday.
  • "My" boys, Viktoria Plzen had a very convincing win against some Danes I've never heard of called Sonderjyske. They could have got Motherwell next, but the Israelis it is, instead.

They started the season rather shakily but have made a very astute signing in Zdenek Ondrasek, "the Cobra", who made his international debut at 30 against England, and scored. Looked more like the "old" Viktoria tonight. And that kinda cheered me up, football-wise.
  • Good win for Rangers 
  • Good win for Rangers 
    Joe featuring? 
  • Good win for Rangers 
    Galatasaray next. Tough game
  • Good win for Rangers 
    Joe featuring? 
    No he is injured