Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

18910111214»

Comments

• I have to say, the Bogle substititution and Bowyer’s post match comments are a weird one.
    I don’t think he played particularly badly. Certainly no worse than anyone else. 
    He had a shot that was just tipped over by the Burton keeper. 
    So what’s the deal with him and Bowyer? 
  • Surely the idea has been to play the same two strikers together so they can build up a rapport - Smyth/Aneke and Bogle/Washington.

At Burton we started with Smyth/Bogle and finished with Aneke/Washington (which might explain why Chuks was in the way of Conor’s shot at goal.)
  • Valley11 said:
    I have to say, the Bogle substititution and Bowyer’s post match comments are a weird one.
    I don’t think he played particularly badly. Certainly no worse than anyone else. 
    He had a shot that was just tipped over by the Burton keeper. 
    So what’s the deal with him and Bowyer? 
    See my comments on the Bogle thread.
  • When Amos was man of the match for us against Gillingham the writing was on the wall, he had too much to do against a shit side and we couldn’t keep Burton out like we did the `gills 
    He didn't help much in the Burton game but he wasn't alone. 

Interesting to see the line-up on Saturday and whether Lee picks some CBs.
  • Watching Quest now, Cardiff lose 1-0, after giving the ball away while trying to play from the back...
    It is somewhat ironic that the whole point of playing it out from the back is to avoid losing possession from a punt upfield when, if a team gets it wrong, it is ten times more likely to lead to a goal to the opposition!
    I blame Pep with the obsession with passing from the back and especially with turning goalkeepers into creative passers of the ball!
    I'd love to see Pep in L1 managing a team like Rochdale. He'd soon abandon his football philosophy.
    Thing is, he probably wouldn't. I think he'd rather get sacked than change the way his teams play (which to me is daft). 
  • Simonsen said:
    Watching Quest now, Cardiff lose 1-0, after giving the ball away while trying to play from the back...
    It is somewhat ironic that the whole point of playing it out from the back is to avoid losing possession from a punt upfield when, if a team gets it wrong, it is ten times more likely to lead to a goal to the opposition!
    I blame Pep with the obsession with passing from the back and especially with turning goalkeepers into creative passers of the ball!
    I'd love to see Pep in L1 managing a team like Rochdale. He'd soon abandon his football philosophy.
    Thing is, he probably wouldn't. I think he'd rather get sacked than change the way his teams play (which to me is daft). 
    As far as I know Rochdale aren't interested at present but maybe in the future. He would probably have to take a pay cut and might struggle to find the ball playing keeper.
  • Pratley would be ok as part of a back 3, which is how he played once or twice in 18/19 and 19/20.

A back 3 on Tuesday of Pearce, Pratley and Gunter would surely have worked better, with Maatsen having more freedom to do what he does best, which is get forward, as Pearce can cover the left hand side.
  • Pratley would be ok as part of a back 3, which is how he played once or twice in 18/19 and 19/20.

A back 3 on Tuesday of Pearce, Pratley and Gunter would surely have worked better, with Maatsen having more freedom to do what he does best, which is get forward, as Pearce can cover the left hand side.
    I'm sure Lee will change the formation and hopefully get it right.
  • Sponsored links:

Being 35 and having played 14 games already this season doesn't help either.
  • We had injuries, we looked tired and were totally out of sorts. 
    Let's hope it's a one off.
    I note Liverpool played Atalanta last night.
    They won at Atalanta 0-5 recently.
    They played a weakened team, looked totally out of sorts and lost 0-2.
  • Watching Quest now, Cardiff lose 1-0, after giving the ball away while trying to play from the back...
    But he isn’t.........the difference is he has the players who can make it work......in fact all Prem sides do it now.
    I think the question revolves more around whether or not you have the players/squad who are confident enough to carry it out. Tuesday night they failed miserably!
    The Burton pitch is very small and Burton were therefore able to get back behind the ball very quickly whilst we were knocking it around aimlessly at the back. It made playing out from the back much more difficult, hence the midfield was continually swamped......we played right into their hands as a matter of fact.

• https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-absence-of-manchester-united-youngster/

Levitt was meant to be on the bench on Tuesday but was ill. Bowyer had intended to rest Albie
    Hooray for @killerandflash

I thought I was thé only one who hâtes Guardiola's influence. He seems a really decent bloke but otherwise I dislike him. 
    I find his style of football quite frankly boring.
    (And he wouldn't have a clue at this level). 
    (Just saw this after my previous post)

I bet he wouldn't. He's stubborn in his beliefs - we can see that even now with M. City. He'd end up getting the sack in League One.
  • Simonsen said:
    Pratley is a very right-footed player, playing as a left-sided centre-back. His passing out to Maatsen will therefore be slow and cumbersome, as he shifts the ball onto his right foot. It became very predictable and allowed Burton so much time to close everything down....not just close the defenders but pick up the midfielders too. 

I actually think Pratley could make a good centre-back but he shouldn't be expected to start the moves like Sarr did. There needs to be a different pattern of play if he is to play at the back. 

I had a centre-back partner once, who was unbelievably good on the ball for the level we were at. I, by huge contrast, was unbelievably bad on the ball (but a decent enough defender & I could read danger pretty well). I was also the manager, so I told him from the outset not to pass me the ball unless I actually called for it because it would just lead to trouble. Luckily he listened because he had just enough brain and we were a good partnership. I marked the men, cleared my lines and organised everything when we lost the ball. He nipped in, won the ball, played it into midfield and looked very classy. Horses for courses.....if you haven't got the players, then don't try to make the ones you do have, fit into the wrong system. Play to your strengths, not to your weaknesses. 

What you up to Saturday. 
    I'll give Bowyer a shout. 
    Don't forget to bring yer boots. 
  • Maddison our creative midfielder, was on for 58 minutes and only passed the ball 12 times and out of that only 5 was successful and 3 of them was backwards. Says it all
  • Pratley and Gunter to start again at Ipswich -

Paul Lambert and the tractor boys are hoping to make hay on Saturday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pratley and Gunter to start again at Ipswich -

Paul Lambert and the tractor boys are hoping to make hay on Saturday 
    They can hope, we will  get it sorted before then, we have
    to get back to a solid defence, hopefully Jason  and Deji are
    ok for a half each

• i must admit, i looked at the starting line up on Tuesday and thought it was quite good - only real surprise was seeing Gilby starting - in hindsight you can now see why Bowyer was playing grinding football in the first few weeks and certainly would have suited better on Tuesday - we clearly felt that with two more natural footballers at centre half, and having probably worked on it over the last few weeks, the tippy tappy round the back stuff was the way to go with some 'footballers' in the middle. The small, bobbly pitch, the closing down intensity and then the mistakes meant it all went out the window and we just went route 1. Put it behind us and get back to grinding until either doughty gets back, the midfield get fitter, we get a new striker and some pace in the side would be my advice - at least away from home.  
  • DOUCHER said:
    i must admit, i looked at the starting line up on Tuesday and thought it was quite good - only real surprise was seeing Gilby starting - in hindsight you can now see why Bowyer was playing grinding football in the first few weeks and certainly would have suited better on Tuesday - we clearly felt that with two more natural footballers at centre half, and having probably worked on it over the last few weeks, the tippy tappy round the back stuff was the way to go with some 'footballers' in the middle. The small, bobbly pitch, the closing down intensity and then the mistakes meant it all went out the window and we just went route 1. Put it behind us and get back to grinding until either doughty gets back, the midfield get fitter, we get a new striker and some pace in the side would be my advice - at least away from home.  
    You can't plan for two such daft mistakes- hopefully no repeat. Defeats the object of playing out from the back otherwise.
  • the mistakes happened but it wasn't going well before them

• DOUCHER said:
    i must admit, i looked at the starting line up on Tuesday and thought it was quite good - only real surprise was seeing Gilby starting - in hindsight you can now see why Bowyer was playing grinding football in the first few weeks and certainly would have suited better on Tuesday - we clearly felt that with two more natural footballers at centre half, and having probably worked on it over the last few weeks, the tippy tappy round the back stuff was the way to go with some 'footballers' in the middle. The small, bobbly pitch, the closing down intensity and then the mistakes meant it all went out the window and we just went route 1. Put it behind us and get back to grinding until either doughty gets back, the midfield get fitter, we get a new striker and some pace in the side would be my advice - at least away from home.  
    You can't plan for two such daft mistakes- hopefully no repeat. Defeats the object of playing out from the back otherwise.
    Here's the thing though, you can look at it and say they were 2 isolated mistakes that cost us and that in itself may be true.
    But the fact is, the mistakes came because we were totally unable to cope with their press; we tried valiantly to play out but due to feck all movement and options the back four became hesitant, play-safe (sic) and predictable.
    It was such a stark collapse that other sides are going to smell blood.
    We better learn to cope with it and quick
  • I've always liked Bogle.  I knew he would come good.
  • We had injuries, we looked tired and were totally out of sorts. 
    Let's hope it's a one off.
    I note Liverpool played Atalanta last night.
    They won at Atalanta 0-5 recently.
    They played a weakened team, looked totally out of sorts and lost 0-2.
    It was a one off :-)