Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 27 Feb 2021

Comments

• This is relegation form and if he is allowed to continue there is a real risk of that happening. TS needs to act now and quickly.
  • edited February 2021
    I'm honestly surprised people aren't angrier about what Bowyer is saying. I get that people think he's to blame too, and that's fine, but he hasn't become a liar overnight and he's saying that there are a lot of players at this club who just don't care. That's a big problem. Maybe we can bring in a manager to make motivate them, but should we have to? Should we be satisfied with players who can decide that they don't fancy it anymore if they don't like the manager and down tools? We've had teams like that before under Pardew and when Powell came in, and changing the manager didn't fix it because there's a problem at a fundamental level. Contrast Riga's two spells; a Powell team full of desire that lacked a bit of quality, and then a team full of randoms who mostly didn't look like they cared even once. One stayed up and one didn't. I can deal with players not being very good, I can deal with having a manager who isn't up to it, I can deal with poor performances when players are out of their depth, but I really can't stand having players who just shrug their shoulders, don't train as hard as they could and aren't bothered. Football is all most of us have during this lockdown period, the least they can do is care.
    To be fair, he would say that wouldn't he? How about the possibility, that some of us have been trying to say for ages, that he has lost them?
    But then you're saying that he's lying. He's just straight up lying saying that they don't care and they're cutting corners and not trying to improve. I'm perfectly fine with saying that Bowyer isn't a good tactician, changes the line-up too much, criticises players too much publicly, whatever, but it's a bridge too far to say that he's just making stuff up. He may well have 'lost them', but if their response to not liking the manager is that they can't be arsed anymore and they'll serve up performances like this then they don't get a pass, they should be shown the door. You can get in any manager you want, I'm not interested in players who only give a shit about playing for Charlton when it suits then. People shouldn't be blind to that just because they don't like the manager. We can be angry about both things

@Garrymanilow have you never worked for a really bad boss or simply fallen out with one?

Most of us agree that Bowyer ain't going to motivate players with his public comments, so just how bad are his private ones?

As an angry and disgruntled employee, all you want to do is get through your day and hope you can find a better place to work or your boss moves on.

You hate getting up in the morning to face the same old shit again, you can't get out as a footballer because there is no transfer window. You know that you need to perform or another employee won't want you, but you are constantly confused about what you are being asked to do, no chance of developing a working relationship with your colleagues because personnel constantly moves to another department.

If I've got a boss telling the world, I'm a shirker, I don't have any pride in my work, I know I would struggle to find any enthusiasm to go the extra mile. It leads to stressed out employees and poor performances.

When Thomas took over, we all thought that Bowyer had done a great job in the circumstances up til then. I've no idea why Bowyer hasn't moved forward, perhaps it's the change of personnel around him, perhaps he simply wasn't ever that good?

Whatever the reason, it's patently clear, and has been for weeks that there is no coming back from his piss poor management. He ain't going to get the players back now. 

Thomas must realise this and if he isn't currently looking for a replacement then our new owner is a fool. 
    You forget the simple fact that football fans always give 110% in their line of work, never have a bad day, and would never ever leave the company they work for to get a pay rise.

If football players didn't need motivating like every other human being there wouldn't be a point in having a football manager. 
  • The performance today makes the unloading of Lapslie even more baffling. George would run through brick walls for Charlton. 
    Folk on here were moaning about Lapslie and saying he was a “headless chicken” last time he played...
  • Frustrating afternoon. There was no fluidity to the play. Most of the game we hoofed it up to Stockleigh, or failed to play through their midfield. Blackpool pressed us well, and came with a game plan. They had us sussed, and exploited the gaps we left in the centre.
    I thought Smith had good moments in a difficult situation, some passes and touches were neat and controlled.
    Millar plays better the Maatsen behind him, but this can leave us less solid at the back. I thought Maatsen had good moments when he came on. A good block near the end of the game. But as there was no Millar as his outlet he struggles on his own down that left. Tried to link with Chuks a few times in the channel area, but was not as effective as the millar & maatsen partnership.

We gave Blackpool too much space in our half even when we had 11 men. Closing down  as units when not in possession needs to improve.

Blackpool played well, and setup to stop us winning the second ball. This ensured Stockley was subdued. They also doubled up on Millar. This is the second game in a row this has happened. Teams have sussed us out?

There was not another outlet that I can think of. Once the first red card came in it really wasn't our afternoon. We need to be wiser with these officials, other teams are using then to their advantage.

Totally agree with this. When our guys go down, we get nothing - when the opposition guys go down, there’s free kicks and red cards flying around...
  • edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    IF Bowyer is staying, we can't keep playing attacking lineups when we have shipped 20+ more goals than nearly every other team in the top 10. Curbs used to arrest a slump by going ugly and playing defensive football, getting a 0-0 and using it as a platform to build from. We have to do that, go 4-5-1 and suffocate. It's mental to keep trying to play expansive football when the team are bereft of... everything. 

Millar has been found out. Teams are now crowding him when he gets the ball so he doesn't have space to accelerate into, and he has struggled to offer anything as a result. His game needs to evolve and you can see why he joined a league one club now. 

I don't understand the Ben Purrington love and I never will. The most painfully just-below-average left-back I can remember. 

Shinnie tries things but struggles in that formation. He hasn't been great but god, imagine what we'd have been like without him. Our one creative spark.

Pratley - If this guy gets a new contract, I'm done. I was expecting Bowyer to launch an attack on him for costing us once again, and instead he goes on about how much he loves him. 

Watson - It's like a Palace fan decided to troll us by signing and pissing around. Has now overtaken El Khalej as my least favourite Charlton player of all time. Laughing and joking with the opposition again, as he was against Portsmouth (?) just after he'd gifted them the goal. 

Stockley - Clearly a good player but through no fault of his own, he has made us worse. We are a kick and rush team at the moment. Compare to Bogle who used to drop short and bring people into play (but offered no goal threat). We looked a very different team.

But none of the players look up for it. The lack of appeals to the officials when there are crazy decisions, or shouts when one of our players gets clattered (compare to the shouts from Blackpool), the lack of passion or fight when we're getting slaughtered... We have enough managers on here (in a business world sense) to know that when you have staff who decide they hate the job and can't be arsed and know they're leaving anyway, there's nothing you can do other than appeal to their professionalism. And if that doesn't work, show them the door yourself. You can't inspire people who don't want to be inspired.

It's a perfect storm at the moment. The player's pure lack of motivation and Bowyer showing no sign of changing things up because he still thinks things are going against us. Something has to give. 

I wish we still had a captain in the squad like Johnnie Jackson, who was the kind to bang some heads together to get people going, demanded effort and lead by example. Instead we have Nice Guy Pearce who wouldn't say boo to a goose. 

48 points has been enough to keep a team safe for 4/5 past seasons. 52 in the other season. I laugh when I hear Curbs & Co talking about picking up form to get into the play-offs. I think we will finish around 16-18th, but that's not going to be attractive for recruiting talented players next year.
    We had two goal attempts. I'd hate us to go defensive with our lineup. 
    We had two goal attempts with an attacking lineup. And lost 3-0. We've conceded 23 goals at home in the past 9 games. We're not attacking our way out of this!
  • Sponsored links:

• The longer Bowyer stays in charge the worse the situation will get and the more demoralised the squad will become. It's just damage limitation now.

Players and manager are unhappy and it all seems a bit toxic. What a mess...

• mascot88 said:
    Bowyer's position is fast becoming untenable, he's lost, confused and although it's very a good education for him, he seems utterly incapable of turning around. 

Alan Curbishley is the guy for us, but he won't come, so where are we? 

Sandgaard's first 3 years in charge will be defined by his next step. 

We need a manager with a little experience with a splash of innovation, a little maverick and some balls, everything Bowyer was. 

Names? No chuffing idea.

We aren't a big player, we aren't a big name, and being in the third tier SEVERELY limits our options so whatever we do is a significant risk, maybe some decent Danish guy, entirely unsure. 
    That would be a massive gamble, as if he failed it would be a black mark against TS, and I’m not sure he has enough knowledge of current Danish football to find one anyway.
    I’d say our best (most realistic) hope would be to entice a manager away from a small, but over performing L1 club. We’ve come up against quite a few teams who look committed and well organised, who have completely out thought and out played us, often with a squad that on paper look weaker than ours. 
    They might be tempted by the offer of a higher wage, the location, the stadium & training facilities, the owner, and the club’s potential. I doubt very much if a ‘name’ manager would take the risk right now, (although we could try of course).

• JamesSeed said:
    mascot88 said:
    Bowyer's position is fast becoming untenable, he's lost, confused and although it's very a good education for him, he seems utterly incapable of turning around. 

Alan Curbishley is the guy for us, but he won't come, so where are we? 

Sandgaard's first 3 years in charge will be defined by his next step. 

We need a manager with a little experience with a splash of innovation, a little maverick and some balls, everything Bowyer was. 

Names? No chuffing idea.

We aren't a big player, we aren't a big name, and being in the third tier SEVERELY limits our options so whatever we do is a significant risk, maybe some decent Danish guy, entirely unsure. 
    That would be a massive gamble, as if he failed it would be a black mark against TS, and I’m not sure he has enough knowledge of current Danish football to find one anyway.
    I’d say our best (most realistic) hope would be to entice a manager away from a small, but over performing L1 club. We’ve come up against quite a few teams who look committed and well organised, who have completely out thought and out played us, often with a squad that on paper look weaker than ours. 
    They might be tempted by the offer of a higher wage, the location, the stadium & training facilities, the owner, and the club’s potential. I doubt very much if a ‘name’ manager would take the risk right now, (although we could try of course).

We just need to get through to the end of the season and I think we should put a caretaker in place. We can start looking for a manager for next season.

Hard to believe what a mess this is. 
  • As much as I think bowyer has lost it and may not be able to get it back, 
    I don’t think the current players should be let off, bowyer is underperforming but most of those players are just as bad if not worse?
    as I read on another site , who would you want at the end of the season, bowyer who is underperforming but cares or the shower of shit players that couldn’t give a toss?
    I don’t think the current players should be let off, bowyer is underperforming but most of those players are just as bad if not worse?
    as I read on another site , who would you want at the end of the season, bowyer who is underperforming but cares or the shower of shit players that couldn’t give a toss?
    Bowyer is out of his depth and has to take a large part of the blame for the demoralised squad. Squads invariably become demoralised under poor managers that they don't respect.

It would be utter madness to retain Bowyer and risk the same scenario happening again with another set of players. Presumably there would still be fans backing him if he said he 'cared'.

There have been no signs of him addressing the problems and we seem to be getting worse. Why leave him in charge?
    Bowyer is out of his depth and has to take a large part of the blame for the demoralised squad. Squads invariably become demoralised under poor managers that they don't respect.

It would be utter madness to retain Bowyer and risk the same scenario happening again with another set of players. Presumably there would still be fans backing him if he said he 'cared'.

There have been no signs of him addressing the problems and we seem to be getting worse. Why leave him in charge?
    These players don’t give a toss,yes bowyer should be able to motivate and some of the problems might be bowyers fault,but the sulking baby’s are not responding, you could bring someone else in and they may or may not be able to motivate these wankers,who knows.
    you can’t polish a turd

• Bowyer in or out,the debate could go on all night,but tell me this,what can he do about certain things that happen on the pitch.
    1)Stockley scores a good goal,ruled out
    2)We have seen recently teams getting free shots from 20 yards out and scoring,they must have spoken all week about preventing this happening and look what happens,for 2nd goal.
    3)Pratley already booked,team captain,reacts like a spoiled brat when getting the treatment that he love to dish out himself.
    4)Referee fooled,although only 5 yards away by a blatant dive.
    5)Aneke gets a red for doing what every striker does,jump with his arms out,no intent to injure the man at all.

Are there players not trying,if so they should be ashamed of themselves,some of these guys are at the end of their career and have been given a chance to carry on playing .
    We are missing energy in midfield,the ability to carry the ball 20-30 yards into our opponents half,to do this you need players in their early to mid 20s,not early to mid 30s,we had at the start of the 2nd half 2 x 35 year old and 1x 31 year old,never going to frighten anyone.
    If we can just get another 10 points to stave of disaster I would start playing the under 23s,I bet they would care.

Managers normally get sacked for bad results and Lee has certainly done enough to warrant the sack. He picks the teams, sorts out tactics and has some say over signings - I don't understand why he's not responsible?

We have the same problems week after week yet nothing changes. He must watch the players in training? He just seems clueless..
    I agree,as you see at the end of my post I have expressed my concern over the fielding of an aged midfield,which happens too often,but in mitigation,and its not the first time,the officials have royally f----ed us over.Also if players are not trying,out em,we are losing games with them playing,so give the kids a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously, just imagine if we drop to League Two next season. 

This has deja vu from last season already, but without the injuries and kids playing (who did a better job than the adults both last and this season).
  • I’m still bowyer in - think a lot of you have very short memories.  

Love the club as much as any but I genuinely just wrote this season off Ipswich Sunderland are as big or bigger than us and struggling. We’ve got a club to support left and that does me. 
    If 22 points from 21 games with this squad in L1 playing some awful clueless football doesn't deserve the sack then I'm not sure what does? I've seen enough. 
    Half of the players at least are lazy c***s that don’t really care - bring a new manager in and we’ll see the same shit a major clear out in the summer needs to happen, they’ve got no discipline and no balls. 
  • Bowyer in or out,the debate could go on all night,but tell me this,what can he do about certain things that happen on the pitch.
    1)Stockley scores a good goal,ruled out
    2)We have seen recently teams getting free shots from 20 yards out and scoring,they must have spoken all week about preventing this happening and look what happens,for 2nd goal.
    3)Pratley already booked,team captain,reacts like a spoiled brat when getting the treatment that he love to dish out himself.
    4)Referee fooled,although only 5 yards away by a blatant dive.
    5)Aneke gets a red for doing what every striker does,jump with his arms out,no intent to injure the man at all.

Are there players not trying,if so they should be ashamed of themselves,some of these guys are at the end of their career and have been given a chance to carry on playing .
    We are missing energy in midfield,the ability to carry the ball 20-30 yards into our opponents half,to do this you need players in their early to mid 20s,not early to mid 30s,we had at the start of the 2nd half 2 x 35 year old and 1x 31 year old,never going to frighten anyone.
    If we can just get another 10 points to stave of disaster I would start playing the under 23s,I bet they would care.

It has not been proven that Stockley was not offside.

Aneke put his arm back into an opponent's head or neck.

Pratley knew what he was doing when he applied his forearm to an opponent's throat....plain stupid.

Why was he not subbed at halftime  ?

We have a keeper who so many people think doesn't  have a lot to do but let's in an average of over 2 a game lately.

We had a midfield central two which offered not a lot.

Jaiyesimi has become  invisible in a Charlton shirt.

Shinnie seems lost and won't  tackle.

Millar has been Charltonised. 

Yet Lapslie has been let go and Morgan can't get a game.

Lots of teams are more athletic than our bunch.

We are plain awful in defence and midfield. 

The lads on Valley pass ,albeit with limited footage all agreed not offside,all your other points are very valid,I was disgusted with Pratley,he got cleaned out by a tackle that he himself loves to make,and he could not take it without retaliating,should not play for this club or a long time.Aneke jumped with a straight arm,red card?,not for me,you see this happen all the time ,strikers just trying to gain the extra height.
  • If albie Morgan doesn’t get a game on Tuesday it’s clear Bowyer has a personal agenda against him. He has had similar personal agendas against a few players over the last 6 months.
  • lonman said:
    I’m still bowyer in - think a lot of you have very short memories.  

Love the club as much as any but I genuinely just wrote this season off Ipswich Sunderland are as big or bigger than us and struggling. We’ve got a club to support left and that does me. 
    This IN SPADES
    I wish you 2 well. You can walk off merrily holding hands into the sunset together.
    Cock
  • Only seen the goals and reds so not been influenced by what sounded a turgid performance, but the second penalty is a joke and I can’t really see from the angle what Pratley did so wrong considering he’d just been take out. Player reaction got him sent off there. 

Equally Chuks red has a question mark against it, though he’s fairly non bothered reaction tells you just how much some of them are not 100% with us at the moment.

I know there is a shedload wrong at the moment and some people don’t believe there is such thing as luck. But the amount of key decisions, woodwork etc in recent months that haven’t fallen our way is sizeable. 

Must have been a fairly big black cat that Bowyer ran over 

If 22 points from 21 games with this squad in L1 playing some awful clueless football doesn't deserve the sack then I'm not sure what does? I've seen enough. 
    Half of the players at least are lazy c***s that don’t really care - bring a new manager in and we’ll see the same shit a major clear out in the summer needs to happen, they’ve got no discipline and no balls. 
    Another major clear out so Bowyer and fans can blame having a whole new squad as the reason we are underperforming? 

Another major clear out so Bowyer and fans can blame having a whole new squad as the reason we are underperforming? 
    the fact fans expect us to do well with players like pearce and watson in the sqaud is a joke.