Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol Supply Problems

Just been to my local petrol station (Shell) here in West Yorkshire to do my usual purchase when about a quarter full tank. All unleaded pumps secured and out of use. Only Diesel pumps working. Drove to the next nearest petrol station (Jet) and of 6 unleaded pumps, only 2 were in use. Fortunately I was able fill up. 6 cars in the queue. Been hearing on the news that it’s only a small number of garages affected and mainly in the South East. I suspect that levels of panic buying are going to cause big problems for the next few weeks. We’re being told that there is no shortage of fuel but problems with tanker deliveries due to driver shortages. My question is why are we only now having petrol distribution problems ? Anything changed in the last few weeks to cause this ? Presumably we don’t have fewer tanker driver this week than last ?

Comments

• I went to get petrol this morning with the intention of getting a full tank, but the pumps were all limited to £20. Of the 16 pumps at the garage only half were in use. 
  • Massive queue at our local Tesco. Never seen anything like it for petrol.
  • My petrol tank was empty after Wycombe. There were queues for the Tesco one creating a little difficulty on the A20 queue to the Cliftons roundabout. I circled round and joined a 4 car queue for the Texaco opposite Sutcliffe park and filled up.
    I think there will be delays at petrol stations this evening on the brink of the weekend.
  • luckily my wife and I both filled up a day or so ago, on the way into work this morning I passed two petrol stations with queues outside when normally they'd be near empty. Panic buying.
  • Panic buying.

Has anyone not been able to get fuel today?
  • No pun intended but who fuelled the panic buying?
  • IanJRO said:
    Reason for this is a labour shortage caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit.

Ending FoM has screwed us when it comes to a ready supply of labour for lower paid jobs, combine this with increasing absenteeism due to the pandemic and it is causing problems across many industries.

Before anyone starts about politics, this isn't a political stance it's just the facts of the matter! :smile:

Any idea why there hasn’t been an issue getting petrol to forecourts prior to this week ? I can’t work out why it’s suddenly an issue. The driver issue has been around for months.
    I don't know the ins and outs but believe some of the impacts are only being seen now as the economy is recovering from the pandemic and so greater strain is being put on the supply chains. 

None of this is being helped by the media telling people not to start panic buying which of course has the opposite effect!
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    Panic buying.

Has anyone not been able to get fuel today?
    Only 1 pump working at my local garage. Other end of town the same. Tesco 2 miles away queuing half way round the car park.

this will get worse before it gets better
  • IanJRO said:
    Reason for this is a labour shortage caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit.

Ending FoM has screwed us when it comes to a ready supply of labour for lower paid jobs, combine this with increasing absenteeism due to the pandemic and it is causing problems across many industries.

Before anyone starts about politics, this isn't a political stance it's just the facts of the matter! :smile:

Fuel tanker drivers are paid a, relative, fortune.  The conditions and danger on the other hand.  Unfortunately you can't grow them on trees. 

The don't just drive from A to B.  "unloading" when you get to the PFS is really dangerous if you don't know what your doing.  The tankers don't just contain 1 grade of fuel in one tank.  If you get the unloading wrong you can cause 100ks worth of damage at a minimum. 
  • Missus has just called. She’s on 57 miles before empty. Said the queue for the Shell station at Blendon was back to beyond the 3 Blackbirds which is probably about 500m away. Absolute madness
  • Middle-class do-gooders not helping today either. Hope they run out of fuel on their way home.
  • No pun intended but who fuelled the panic buying?
    You just have  :D
  • _MrDick said:
    Missus has just called. She’s on 57 miles before empty. Said the queue for the Shell station at Blendon was back to beyond the 3 Blackbirds which is probably about 500m away. Absolute madness
    That is ridiculous 
  • Greedy stupid people who dont listen. They are just making the situation worse. 
  • I'm just going to change my filters and run my motor on red. 
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    Missus has just called. She’s on 57 miles before empty. Said the queue for the Shell station at Blendon was back to beyond the 3 Blackbirds which is probably about 500m away. Absolute madness
    My daughter left late for school this morning so I drove her and dropped her off at the Shell garage. Was busy then and was talking to someone I know who was trying to fill up and none of the pumps were working.
  • edited September 2021
    I filled up on Costco on Wednesday thankfully not knowing there would be a problem. Thankfully people can fill their tanks but can't hoard petrol. I would hope petrol stations prevent filling fuel cans which could be dangerous in terms of the idiots we have all around us.
  • kigelia said:
    Smugly looks at the electric car on the drive…then less smugly looks at how much his electricity bill will go up by in the next few months.
    Still be a shed ton cheaper then petrol 
  • it's all going to turn into Mad Max out there soon 
  • Is he in the US then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!