Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Managed to fill up at lunch time, no real queue, but they were sold out of diesel. I'm not telling you bastards where though :tongue:
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    There is no shortage of HGV drivers in the UK.

There is/was a severe lack of drivers willing to do an often horrible job for £10 per hour.

Surprised this hasn't been said yet, to be honest. It's well known that working conditions for HGV drivers is deemed as sub-par by pretty much all drivers. The shortage is a multi-faceted issue, as with most things, but reductionists will always scream the loudest.

The ONS [Offfice for National Statistics] has revealed that 12,000 HGV have left the UK up until June 2020 ,and returned to EU countries
    Absolutely. As I said, it's a multi-faceted issue.
    Exactly this, nice to see we are in agreement today BBW.
    You'll get different answers on the biggest cause, depending on who you ask.

Ask the drivers and the majority will say working conditions and low pay are putting people off.

Ask the bosses, who aren't keen on addressing the working condition and pay issues, and they'll say it's because of the pandemic and the word that shall not be uttered.
    I don’t doubt that for a minute, it’s not a job I’d want my kids doing considering the conditions, no disrespect to anyone in this field.  

And I think it’s right we look up, when searching for accountability.  So bosses, government etc should be scrutinised, even if it is a Europe wide problem.  

What could they do to make it better?  Well policy for one, which is dictated by the B word.  It’s not the voters of the B word, they didn’t implement it, it’s the governing bodies who did, and when an issue arises from it, it deserves to be discussed.  This is from a leave voter by the way.

• Options
    Excellent article.
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

18% of driver losses are due to EU drivers leaving the UK.

''It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

''It should be noted first and foremost that Britain’s driver shortage is not a new phenomenon. Even in the heady days before Covid or Brexit, the UK was already lacking around 76,000 drivers, according to Logistics UK.''
  • Options
    Regardless of the myriad reasons that we have a shortage of HGV drivers, it remains that we need a solution. Relaxing of visa requirements is certainly one way of instant relief but I doubt a full solution. If there is a shortage accross the EU too then I’m guessing most of those drivers previously here would prefer to find work within the EU before looking outside, for reasons best not spoken about here. Longer term, pay and conditions are the only way to solve the shortage. Exactly the same solution as in nursing and care home professions. Brits won’t do shitty jobs without good remuneration. The upward pressure on prices is something we’ll perhaps need to get used to ?
    It's not purely a pay and conditions problem.  Although pay and conditions aren't good in some jobs.

There is nearly net zero unemployment in the UK part of the problem is the jobs, or the unemployed people, are in the wrong place.

If you increase the wages in one sector you just move the problem to a different one. 
  • Options
    The nice folk from Texaco wrote to me today;

''We are writing to you with reference to the current fuel supply situation in the UK and some reports you may have seen in the media.
    We would like to reassure our customers that fuel supplies are ample and that we have committed all available delivery resources in order to keep our Texaco branded service stations adequately stocked.
    Despite some media reports of other brands having site closures and other mixed speculation, there is no need for our loyal Texaco customers to fill up more frequently than normal. We are confident that our supply chain is able to adequately manage the current situation and that we are able to continue to satisfy our customers’ needs.
    Thank you for your loyal business and safe driving.
    Regards,
    The Star Rewards Team''
  • Options
    There is a chance here to see capitalism at it’s finest.
    It won’t happen though.
    If only all the drivers could join in one single trade union, and then go on strike for better conditions, and hourly pay that includes involuntary away from home rest periods, or delays suffered as working time.
    In other words for the drivers to maximise their profitability whilst demand is high.
    Strike guys, whilst you have the upper hand!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sometimes I despair of the human race, will these people be storing gallon cans of petrol in their garage, and will they have room with all their stored bog roll.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Excellent article.
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

18% of driver losses are due to EU drivers leaving the UK.

''It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

''It should be noted first and foremost that Britain’s driver shortage is not a new phenomenon. Even in the heady days before Covid or Brexit, the UK was already lacking around 76,000 drivers, according to Logistics UK.''
    This is a big factor in any industry where a lot of people do contract work. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No expertise at all in road haulage but just like in the building trades I’m assuming that previously when many of the HGV driving jobs were taken by drivers from Eastern Europe, the wages were depressed by the influx ?. A win for the haulage companies. That would deter many Brits from thinking HGV as a career choice ? Now most of the Eastern European’s have departed the wages are still depressed so still unattractive to Brits. A lose for the haulage companies. Unless either the Brits accept post Brexit returns to freedom of movement to service the various professions struggling for workforce which might be difficult for some on the government benches then those jobs will need to be made more attractive to Brits. At a considerable cost I would imagine. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021

There is/was a severe lack of drivers willing to do an often horrible job for £10 per hour.

I would be if true, but the average petrol tanker wage is £33,500, so if you were on £10 an hour it would be time to switch.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It won’t happen though.
    If only all the drivers could join in one single trade union, and then go on strike for better conditions, and hourly pay that includes involuntary away from home rest periods, or delays suffered as working time.
    In other words for the drivers to maximise their profitability whilst demand is high.
    I thought this, but do you not think agencies will just reap the rewards instead?  Surely their commission is demand driven to some extent?  Something along the lines of we’ve got 50 polish HGV drivers for you here but our mark up is 30% now not 20, cos erm.. Covid.
  • Options
    Just queued at Blackfen for 3 hours to get into the petrol station. Good news is though I was able to get weekly shop as normal.. and plenty of toilet rolls available. Which surprised me with the length of the queue. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Just queued at Blackfen for 3 hours to get into the petrol station. Good news is though I was able to get weekly shop as normal.. and plenty of toilet rolls available. Which surprised me with the length of the queue. 
    This the one at the Audi roundabout?  Mrs BR7 is there right now.
  • Options
    Sainsburys petrol station in lower Sydenham is crazy today, massive queues both directions, into the Sainsburys car park and back onto the main road
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It won’t happen though.
    I thought this, but do you not think agencies will just reap the rewards instead?  Surely their commission is demand driven to some extent?  Something along the lines of we’ve got 50 polish HGV drivers for you here but our mark up is 30% now not 20, cos erm.. Covid.
    I suppose that would depend on the strength, effectiveness and creativity of the non existent trade union.

• Options
    Hal1x said:

I would be if true, but the average petrol tanker wage is £33,500, so if you were on £10 an hour it would be time to switch.
    How many hours do they do a week for that money?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Petrol (and hazardous goods) drivers have extra training.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Petrol drivers are highly skilled aside from the physical driving. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:

35 hours extra
  • Options

Surprised this hasn't been said yet, to be honest. It's well known that working conditions for HGV drivers is deemed as sub-par by pretty much all drivers. The shortage is a multi-faceted issue, as with most things, but reductionists will always scream the loudest.

The ONS [Offfice for National Statistics] has revealed that 12,000 HGV have left the UK up until June 2020 ,and returned to EU countries
    Absolutely. As I said, it's a multi-faceted issue.
    Exactly this, nice to see we are in agreement today BBW.
    You'll get different answers on the biggest cause, depending on who you ask.

Ask the drivers and the majority will say working conditions and low pay are putting people off.

Ask the bosses, who aren't keen on addressing the working condition and pay issues, and they'll say it's because of the pandemic and the word that shall not be uttered.
    Palace?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

35 hours extra
    That's just to drive the wagon though isn't it? 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Hal1x said:

How many hours do they do a week for that money?
    isn't 56 still the normal max?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hal1x said:

35 hours extra
    Yes that’s only the driving aspects. Any further training in loading or delivering those loads for hazardous load drivers would be done by the respective companies just like in any job. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hal1x said:

35 hours extra
    Yes that’s only the driving aspects. Any further training in loading or delivering those loads for hazardous load drivers would be done by the respective companies just like in any job. 
    Yeah so you can't just get any HGV driver give them an extra weeks training and send them off in a petrol tanker.  That's what I was getting at. 
  • Options

Shapps said this morning, it was the EU drivers that undercut the wages of the British drivers, making it  less attractive for people wanting to become a lorry driver. I blame it on the companies paying the lower wages.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hal1x said:

35 hours extra
    Yeah so you can't just get any HGV driver give them an extra weeks training and send them off in a petrol tanker.  That's what I was getting at. 
    Not sure how long the “in house” training would take though ? Might only be a couple of days.
  • Options
    Anyone struggling locally, the wife only waited 10 minutes for fuel at the Tesco garage opposite eltham graveyard.   
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!