Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021 | Match Preview

edited September 2021 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers
Tuesday 28 September 2021 | Kick-Off: 19.45pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Lee Swabey - last officiated a Charlton league game way back in 2019, a 2-0 away win at Gillingham.

Introduction
Have we stopped the rot? Have we turned a corner? Undefeated in the last 2 games, the ultra positive among us would say yes. However, it simply isn't enough. The first half performance against Portsmouth on Saturday was awful yet again, a team playing like they've just met at Charlton Park for the first time, defensively all over the place. A change of shape and personnel and an improved second half performance earned us a point. Results are in desperate need and with Ipswich at home to Doncaster on Tuesday, the next 3 points for us cannot come soon enough. Hopefully, that's against our next opponents, Bolton Wanderers.

Opposition
Manager: Ian Evatt (44.4% win rate)
Stadium: University of Bolton Stadium
League Position: 9th | Bolton's Last 6: LLWDLW
Nickname(s): The Trotters

Bolton played away at Sunderland on Saturday, losing 1-0, their line up was:

Dixson
Jones | Santos | Johnston | Gordon
Williams | Sheehan
Isgrove | Sarcevic | Afolayan
Doyle 

Bolton have got a manager who has won promotion in each of his last two seasons. Evatt was the man who guided Barrow to the football league and took over Bolton in the summer of 2020. He completed the same feat for The Trotters, but this time taking them back to League One. Evatt has instilled a hard-working, honest, and winning mentality - a team who fight for each other and add a sprinkle of quality at the top end of the pitch. Because of this spirit and players knowing their job, it won't be often you'll see Bolton lose by many this season. An interesting stat to show what Evatt has brought to Bolton is they won 17 games last season by a single goal margin.

The 3 behind Doyle all bring something different to the table. Isgrove will be known to Adkins from his time at Southampton, although he didn't ever make the grade, he will want to tuck in and get close to Doyle. Sarcevic is a creative number 10 where much of Bolton's good play will go through him. We can't allow him space to pick a pass, and he has a goal in him too, proved mainly at League Two level, but his quality will show if given the time. Afolayan is Bolton's top scorer this season with 4 in 9, to describe him, he is a little bit like Blackett-Taylor - direct and will run at the full-back. We will have to be careful we don't leave our full-back's exposed 1v1 too often.

Bolton are a side who cross the ball a lot in this division, averaging 20 a game, interestingly we average 21. They pass the ball far more than we do, and with greater effect too. Stats show when they do go long, Bolton will only win the first and second ball on average around 15% of the time. One offensive pattern of play you will see often is most crosses will come down their right hand side with Jones overlapping and creating a situation where Isgrove tucks in, Sarcevic will float around the edge of the box, Afolayan at the back post and Sheehan will the player to arrive late, all supporting Doyle In the middle. With our defensive frailties, it's something that could cause us a lot of problems with players being dragged out of position and others not knowing who to pick up.  

Charlton Team News
The three subs made a huge difference for Charlton in the second half against Portsmouth, 2 scoring and one setting up the late equaliser. Adkins said Davison was unlucky not to start and Blackett-Taylor couldn't be risked given his injury history. With the two combining at the end, we should (hopefully) expect them both to make the starting XI on Tuesday. Clare came in for Arter and scored his first goal for the club, his driving through the middle with Gibley was something we haven't had this season. Arter struggled in the first half to get going, but did pull up with a muscular problem in the warm-up.

Gilbey and Souaré both completed their first 90 minutes of the season which is huge going forward. Two very good players at this level. With others all at different stages of fitness, a big squad to choose from, and Adkins not knowing what his best team is yet alongside the desperation to find that magic formula, we can expect more changes to occur on Tuesday night. A number of players were sitting in the stands on Saturday, all hoping to be involved against Bolton - Purrington, Gunter, Morgan, DJ, and Washington to name a few. As Cowley said, predicting what our team is going to be is difficult, it looks like picking them is a challenge too... 

4-2-3-1 to match Bolton, but also very adaptable to a more effective 4-2-2-2

Subs: Henderson, Famewo, Dobson, Gilbey, Kirk, Washington, Stockley

Prediction
A better second half against Portsmouth papered over the horrendous performance of the first. Teams are not just playing better than us, they're often teaching us a lesson. With a lack of direction and identity, we have been poor. But the tide must turn at some point and with the late leveller on Saturday, it will have boosted the confidence even just a little going into Tuesday evening. Failure to get a win here could force the hand of the owner, but I don't think that will happen. The points stay in SE7. 

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
Leko
Stockley

Comments

• Thanks for the preview as always.

I like your optimism, but on recent defensive showings we won't be able to handle Afolayan.

Charlton Athletic 0-2 Bolton Wanderers
    Afolayan
    Doyle (pen)
  • 1.1 and the inevitable just drags on.
  • Bolt-on Acessories will do us 0-3.
  • That’s good.

Ok. I just wondered what the reason was.
  • edited September 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    That’s good.

Hmm you probably didn't need to write  'You know there’s no 19:45am right? That’s the point of 24 hour time.' then. 

But anyway, back on topic, think that's probably close to the team I can see being put out. CBT must start, but I think I'd rather see Washington instead of Leko just to offer us more in defence. I wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see Pearce and Watson make way for Famewo and Dobson due to the recent amount of minutes they've played. 

Either way, don't think anyone, including Atkins has an idea of our most effective starting XI and formation. 

• Maybe I didn’t need to, but I didn’t know how else to make the point. “Why does it say 19:45pm?” alone, may have been followed by “because it’s night time” type answers.
  • JaShea99 said:
    That’s good.

Hmm you probably didn't need to write  'You know there’s no 19:45am right? That’s the point of 24 hour time.' then. 

But anyway, back on topic, think that's probably close to the team I can see being put out. CBT must start, but I think I'd rather see Washington instead of Leko just to offer us more in defence. I wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see Pearce and Watson make way for Famewo and Dobson due to the recent amount of minutes they've played. 

Either way, don't think anyone, including Atkins has an idea of our most effective starting XI and formation. 

I wouldn’t like to start either Pearce or Watson, but without Stockley starting, I think that at least one will start because who will be captain and provide any kind of experience/leadership? It’s a poor situation we have got ourselves in.

At some point this season, I would like to see a midfield of Arter, Gilbey, Lee, with a good wide player, and one of Leko or Washington up front with Stockley. I think we would be able to play football as the midfield would offer something rather than going long all the time.
  • edited September 2021
    Expecting Washington back along with a few other minor changes.

MacGillivray 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington
    Watson - Clare
    B.Taylor - Lee - Washington 
    Davison 

1-0 Clean Sheet Win
  • Sponsored links:

• As we have no idea who is in the red and who isn't after Saturday..... 

MacGillivray 
    Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington
     Clare - Watson - Gilbey
    Lee - Davison - Washington

Or something like that, we need to be more solid in the middle of the park.  I would be tempted to go to a diamond with those midfielders and strikers though.   If CBT was in the red for Saturday I think I would rather have him on for the last 30, if we need him, on Tuesday and make sure he can start next Saturday.  Sorry state of affairs in September! 
  • edited September 2021
    Mac 

purrington
    lavelle
    famewho
    matthews

Lee
    Dobson 
    Clare 
    CBT 

Davidson
    Leko 

• edited September 2021
    I don't understand why Dobson isn't playing.  To me he is the only mobile young holding player we have. We looked more solid v Wednesday and Wigan when he played. Surely better than Arter, Watson and Morgan. 
    It is strange. We know Watson wasn't meant to be first choice because Adkins said that when he re-signed.

Dobson was clearly brought in to be the starter but now finds himself on the periphery. I'd have to say it looks like a poor piece of recruitment if they don't have faith in him. Yeah he may still come good, but we need someone who is good right now. 
  • edited September 2021
    AndyG said:
    I dont think dobson has done much wrong tbh it surprises me he seems to have dropped down the order
    Dobson is about half a point below Watson in the season to date statbank.  Who is to blame for everything in some people's eyes.

He has a lower, only by a smidge, mark than Morgan, who by most peoples reckoning has been largely awful.  Its just shovelling the less worse options into the team.

I think Dobson could be a good player at this level, just not with any of our other center mids.  That's probably true for all of them, it was also true last year. 
  • The first team but with Famewo for Pearce. 
  • Mac

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington 

Watson Clare 

Lee Gilbey CBT

Davison 

I think.  This isn’t what I would go with, just trying to guess what NA will give us 
  • edited September 2021
    My Sunderland mate says Bolton were unlucky to lose at the stadium of light on Saturday. 
    I’m hoping to see the return of Famewo. Disappointed with him so far this season, but maybe he’ll find his mojo again. 
    Let’s hope CBT is fit enough to start. And I think Clare did enough v Pompey to start too. 
    Need a win lads. 
  • Sponsored links:

• With the way we have been rotating hopefully we are bue for the return of Gunter and Morgan. I would like to see famewo back in for pearce. You can kind of see why Watson is retaining his place as he is doing what he is good at. CBT has to start and if we dont get a contract sorted a bit quick I'm certain he wont be here after January. Davison starts ahead of Stockley. Lee & gilby pulling the strings. Easy game football 😁😁
  • I don't understand why Dobson isn't playing.  To me he is the only mobile young holding player we have. We looked more solid v Wednesday and Wigan when he played. Surely better than Arter, Watson and Morgan. 
    agree 100% - we won't keep getting done on the turnover of possession with his legs in there - watson playing week in week out is baffling and will get adkins the sack, along with trying to play stockley as a lone striker - i'm convinced i could pick a side to win tuesday night  
  • 442 for me. 

Mac

Matthews, 2 from Pearce/ Lavelle/ Famewo, Soare

Lee, Gilbey, Clare/ Morgan/ Dobson, CBT

Leko, Josh. 

• DOUCHER said:
    I don't understand why Dobson isn't playing.  To me he is the only mobile young holding player we have. We looked more solid v Wednesday and Wigan when he played. Surely better than Arter, Watson and Morgan. 
    agree 100% - we won't keep getting done on the turnover of possession with his legs in there - watson playing week in week out is baffling and will get adkins the sack, along with trying to play stockley as a lone striker - i'm convinced i could pick a side to win tuesday night  
    Go on then! 🙂
  • JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Go on then! 🙂
    see above  :)
  • 442 with Wasington and Davison up top and just CBT as a winger, please 
  • Go on and surprise us with your formation, team and subs Nige ! 

Oh wait…………..!

• Go on and surprise us with your formation, team and subs Nige ! 

Oh wait…………..!
    Out of interest, do they come to you in a dream?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!