Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

Quite a gamble with Leko as only 24 hrs to work on that !

Will JJ go with that system at home against Doncaster ?

Just one "winger" who is playing wing back with defensive responsibilities.

How and where will JJ use DJ and Kirk in the future ?

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

Bottle that spirit that Jackson imbued into the team yesterday.

JJ can use both DJ and Kirk as makewights in the January transfer window for a couple of players he really wants.

Said slightly tongue in cheek but yesterday's performance just underlines how much harder the pair of them are going to have to work if they have any hope of getting in the team. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Worth noting that few players said on twitter that that was the "standard" and that they have to maintain it.

Wonder if that's something that Jackson/Euell have been telling them a lot. Drawing a new line under everything and setting a new standard going forward. 
    Is it the exact same players that said the exact same thing after Fleetwood, Crewe and a number of times last season?

Its what players say on social media isn't it? 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    I do not have an English degree only an O level but good lord the spelling mistakes in that piece....doesn't anyone proof read this stuff before posting
    It’s recorded speech and we don’t speak as we would when committing to the written page. Thinking grammar rules are logical is a myth and it’s only the influence of the “superior” upper classes of the last two centuries that created the concept of grammar having to reflect classical Latin syntax.
    Should be a comma after myth.
    Never put a comma before a conjunction.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    There is certainly a message out there for our wingers who didn't play. If you don't do the defensive part, you won't start. Needed to be done a while ago but Adkins was trying to make the formation work rather than find a better one for the circumstances. Leko did his defensive job well and Purrington did his offensive job well. These are the jobs outside their strengths so credit to them both.

If Adkins doesn't understand this, it highlights why he has gone and if he does, he should blame himself for doing the same thing over and over again and expecting something to change.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

JJ can use both DJ and Kirk as makewights in the January transfer window for a couple of players he really wants.

Said slightly tongue in cheek but yesterday's performance just underlines how much harder the pair of them are going to have to work if they have any hope of getting in the team. 
    I do really wonder what we're going to do with all these wingers now. If we stick with this formation we need more CBs, strikers and probably a RWB and I believe the squad list is full at the moment. 

It's hard to see any space for DJ, Kirk and Blackett-Taylor.
  • Options
    For starters they have to work on their defensive games which will make them better players. There is a role for them from the bench but we probably have too many. They have to fight it out with their competition and take their chances when they come in the short term anyway. I doubt one of Leko and Purrington won't get injured at some point.
  • Options
    What a piece of work Johnson is. If Stockley has got away with it, Johnson has done his level best to make sure the FA are aware of it. Get over it, you lost.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    I do not have an English degree only an O level but good lord the spelling mistakes in that piece....doesn't anyone proof read this stuff before posting
    It’s recorded speech and we don’t speak as we would when committing to the written page. Thinking grammar rules are logical is a myth and it’s only the influence of the “superior” upper classes of the last two centuries that created the concept of grammar having to reflect classical Latin syntax.
    I beg to differ. Stylistically, it can be very effective, like putting a winger at left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This Sunderland fan really ain't happy 😂😂

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igMYTKxJrgg
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    Syntax is only one part of grammar.
  • Options
    He actually speaks some sense 

• Options

There's a lot of buggering going on there.  It really is grim up north.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Loving the lone voice shouting "c***" as Stockley celebrates.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I do really wonder what we're going to do with all these wingers now. If we stick with this formation we need more CBs, strikers and probably a RWB and I believe the squad list is full at the moment. 

Since Schwartz has left, think the squad maybe one light!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadou said:
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    incorrect
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:

JFC 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Great interview with George Dobson and good character shown from the Lad.

When we have 3 games in a week then it will be interesting to see how the same players manage the high press and yet keep the fitness up. 

I hope it enjoyable finding out because we have struggled to turn a good away victory into a solid home win in the next game.
  • Options
    I've watched it a few times and can't see a headbutt in any shape or form. Stockley is being physical but there a big difference between that and headbutting.

The way Johnson talks about a "definite" three match ban for something that didn't happen is deflection, and I look forward to Stockley's public "acquital" so that we can see Johnson throw his toys out of the pram again.
    Feck me what's wrong with these norvern monkeys?

A head butt is a mating technique up there, ain't it?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Can someone post the Dobson interview from yesterday? Can’t seem to find it anywhere..
    I thank you!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:

JFC 
    Yes, but don't think he is included at the moment. Think if he comes in not sure how hard we will try to get CBT on a longer contract.
  • Options
    If Johnson thinks that use of the head, he’s never been on a 18-30 holiday.
  • Options
    The thing I can’t get my head around is that was it so bad under NA the team had literally given up and didn’t want to play for him?  I understand the manager you work for has a massive impact on how you feel at work, for everyone, not just footballers, but was he really that bad to play under?  

Bit of a rhetorical question on my part, pondering, rather than asking, but it seems that within a couple of days there has been a massive facelift.  

As others have posted, players probably didn’t like playing in set ups that were confusing, and there were too many changes, but I find it crazy how it seems to have done a complete 180 in a matter of days.  I don’t believe it’s a new manager bounce.  I really think the players just weren’t feeling it