Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2021/22

Following our exit from the T20 World Cup and the likes of Stokes and a few others already quarantining in Australia, it is time to start a thread dedicated to the Ashes. 

The dates:

Men’s Ashes

• First Test: 8-12 December – Gabba, Brisbane, play starts 12am
  • Second Test: 16-20 December – Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, play starts 4am
  • Third Test: 26-30 December – MCG, Melbourne, play starts 11.30pm on 25 December
  • Fourth Test: 5-9 January – SCG, Sydney, play starts 11.30pm on 4 January
  • Fifth Test: 14-18 January – Optus Stadium, Perth, play starts 2.30am

Women’s Ashes

• Test: 27-30 January – Manuka Oval, Canberra, play starts 11pm 26 January
  • First T20: 4 February – North Sydney Oval, Sydney, play starts 8.10am
  • Second T20: 6 February – North Sydney Oval, Sydney, play starts 8.10am
  • Third T20: 10 February – Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, play starts 8.10am
  • First ODl: 13 February – Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, play starts 11.05pm on 12 February
  • Second ODl: 16 February – Junction Oval, Melbourne, play starts 11.05pm on 15 February
  • Third ODI: 19 February – Junction Oval, Melbourne, play starts 11.05pm on 18 February
The Squad:

James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Dom Bess (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Rory Burns (Surrey)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire) 
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire)
Dan Lawrence (Essex)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Presume it is a late start to the ashes due to the T20

in 2010 first test started at midnight 24th November. 

I know this as my eldest was born that day and him and the wife were kept in hospital overnight. I got home , cracked open a beer, watched the players come out onto the pitch and then woke up and the days play had finished 
    Great story MOL. The players coming from the WC still have to quarantine for14 days but will be able to do so together and special isolated facilities are being provided for them to train 
  • edited November 2021
    MrOneLung said:

I know this as my eldest was born that day and him and the wife were kept in hospital overnight. I got home , cracked open a beer, watched the players come out onto the pitch and then woke up and the days play had finished 
    If it had happened on Day 4 you would have turned the TV on with England 19-0 and woken up with England closing on 309-1  :)
  • edited November 2021
    The historical dates for Ashes tests down under have changed a lot since I went on my first tour in 90/91. While the Boxing Day test remains, followed by Sydney, the Adelaide test being held over Australia Day has long gone out the window. Brisbane was and remains the first test due to the volatile weather in that area mid-summer. Perth is back to the final test (it was recently held prior to Melbourne) which is good as it's the nearest to get home from!
  • Pedro45 said:
    The historical dates for Ashes tests down under have changed a lot since I went on my first tour in 90/91. While the Boxing Day test remains, followed by Sydney, the Adelaide test being held over Australia Day has long gone out the window. Brisbane was and remains the first test due to the volatile weather in that area mid-summer. Perth is back to the final test (it was recently held prior to Melbourne) which is good as it's the nearest to get home from!
    Just looking at the dates for that 90-91 tour... why on earth was there a month gap between the first Test in Brisbane and the second Test in Melbourne?
  • Pedro45 said:
    Just looking at the dates for that 90-91 tour... why on earth was there a month gap between the first Test in Brisbane and the second Test in Melbourne?
    Gave us a chance to try to recover from the embarrassment?
  • Pedro45 said:
    They had a load of World Series one dayers in between the Tests!

Easier to do in those days when many of the same players played all formats
  • What are people doing about watching it ?  I'm tempted to sign up for BT Sport via Sky but I believe there are better & cheaper options. Bare in mind I'm a bit of a technophobe & watch tv via Sky on my living room tv......so no streaming on my phone or any other devices. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    They had a load of World Series one dayers in between the Tests!

Easier to do in those days when many of the same players played all formats
    Yea, it was a tri-series with New Zealand that year. The test squad played in those games, and they ran concurrently between test matches. The famous Tufnell fumble when trying a run out came in one of the later games in Melbourne and condemned England to miss the final...

To allow for the best Brisbane weather, tests were played in November. Melbourne started Boxing Day, and Sydney in the New Year. Adelaide covered Australia Day (26th January), and Perth was (early February) on the way home. Fill in the gaps with local games and ODI's  and that's your Ashes tour.
  • MrOneLung said:

One question stands out…..did you finish the beer
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    It was so Ian Botham, could spend more time with his ‘other family’
  • What are people doing about watching it ?  I'm tempted to sign up for BT Sport via Sky but I believe there are better & cheaper options. Bare in mind I'm a bit of a technophobe & watch tv via Sky on my living room tv......so no streaming on my phone or any other devices. 
    sign up to BT for a couple months, if you only watch on TV surely its the only option. Alot of contracts and deals come with 6 months free so have a look around, it could be the best option. 

BT is well worth it imo even just for the footy, Cricket/ boxing/tennis etc are a brucie bonus for me. 
  • Got the lads coming over on boxing day to watch the cricket all through the night, then off to Twickenham in the morning of the 27th to watch Harlequins. Lovely stuff
  • Pedro45 said:
    It was so Ian Botham, could spend more time with his ‘other family’
    Beefy wasn't on that tour. His last Australia series was for the World Cup, a year later.
  • I predict an England whooping
  • As in England will get whooped I assume?
  • Not watched any BTsport before. Tempted to buy a month pass for the start which will cover the first 3 tests and then days 1-3 of the 4th. Assuming we're 3-0 down at this point then I won't waste £25 on renewing it. Has the BTsport coverage been good before?
  • Not watched any BTsport before. Tempted to buy a month pass for the start which will cover the first 3 tests and then days 1-3 of the 4th. Assuming we're 3-0 down at this point then I won't waste £25 on renewing it. Has the BTsport coverage been good before?
    Good idea

Not as good as Sky and they will use the Australian feed for pictures and commentary with experts (including Vaughan) in the studio rather than at the ground

Not as good as Sky and they will use the Australian feed for pictures and commentary with experts (including Vaughan) in the studio rather than at the ground
    There will also be English commentators out there working for Australian TV. The likes of Vaughan, Isa Guha or Alison Mitchell
  • Sponsored links:

So much worse than Sky

BT pictures and TMS commentary it is then. Sky is good in terms of the analysis with Nasser and Atherton but for commentary TMS is head and shoulders above anything else. 
  • Hopefully David Warner will be responsible for the Aussie reviews
    George Bailey confirmed today that Warner and Marcus Harris would be the opening pair for the Ashes. Harris has a Test average of 23.77 and just 9.66 against us. Warner is Broad's bunny.
    George Bailey confirmed today that Warner and Marcus Harris would be the opening pair for the Ashes. Harris has a Test average of 23.77 and just 9.66 against us. Warner is Broad's bunny.
    Will Pucovski has been really unlucky with his concussion issues. You wonder if it will end his career prematurely
    Will Pucovski has been really unlucky with his concussion issues. You wonder if it will end his career prematurely
    Pucovski got hit on the head again in the nets a month ago and that is believed to be his 10th concussion. Unfortunately, it has to be said that that isn't unlucky simply because if he's been hit that many times on the head causing concussion then he has been pinned any number of other times on the head and other parts of his body which suggests that he cannot play fast short pitched bowling. Every batsman has their tipping point and if the opposition know that you have that weakness then you can bet your bottom dollar that you will face a barrage of it each and every time you go out to bat.

It is very sad not just because he is receiving counselling for it but because he literally will have nowhere to go. Even if he goes back to club cricket there will be bowlers in top grade cricket who play for their State or even at international level who are capable of bowling at 90mph - Harris Rauf was playing 2nd grade cricket three years ago - so it won't just be a question of him giving up a career. He will have to give up the game. 

• edited November 2021
    Hopefully David Warner will be responsible for the Aussie reviews
    Pucovski got hit on the head again in the nets a month ago and that is believed to be his 10th concussion. Unfortunately, it has to be said that that isn't unlucky simply because if he's been hit that many times on the head causing concussion then he has been pinned any number of other times on the head and other parts of his body which suggests that he cannot play fast short pitched bowling. Every batsman has their tipping point and if the opposition know that you have that weakness then you can bet your bottom dollar that you will face a barrage of it each and every time you go out to bat.

It is very sad not just because he is receiving counselling for it but because he literally will have nowhere to go. Even if he goes back to club cricket there will be bowlers in top grade cricket who play for their State or even at international level who are capable of bowling at 90mph - Harris Rauf was playing 2nd grade cricket three years ago - so it won't just be a question of him giving up a career. He will have to give up the game. 

He's clearly vulnerable to short pitched bowling, but also does seem worrying vulnerable to concussion, which is perhaps more important. 
  • Maybe he should learn to duck better
  • Not Ashes related but wonder if any lifers can help me. I am planning to go to Antigua & Barbados in March for the 1st & 2nd tests. With regards to tickets to match do you just buy them on the gate or do you buy them in advance? Cheers!

He's clearly vulnerable to short pitched bowling, but also does seem worrying vulnerable to concussion, which is perhaps more important. 
    Maybe he should learn to duck better
    I've watched a couple of the instances and basically Pucovski has no game plan whatsoever and also doesn't appear to be picking up the length of the ball early enough.

No one likes facing fast short pitched bowling so you have to decide what you are going to do when faced with it. The best way is to take it on if you can and then duck or sway out of the way it its not there to do so. In the two bits of footage I've seen Puckovski should be pulling the ball - instead he ends up head butting it and in one of them he is in a crouched position doing so meaning that the ball was only ever going to be waist high anyway.

It's a strange one because there is no doubt whatsoever that he will have been drilled on this for hours on end. At the DLCA the boys have had tennis balls fired at them from 17 yards at 90mph with the ball landing on an area designed to replicate the bounce in the middle. That is the starting point and those that get confident doing that will then go on to facing the cricket ball at the same speed. Those batsmen that don't will have the level that they can play out heavily restricted.

Perhaps this is a legacy of having a helmet. In the old days you had to watch the ball otherwise you would get hit with serious consequences. Nowadays, it seems that batsmen don't watch the ball and turn their head with the obvious result that they do get hit - most times!