Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match (+post p15) Thread: Colchester Utd v Charlton | Papa Johns | Tue 4th Oct 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Hopefully Garner learned what little that game offered up
    Clare is a better right of 3 central defenders than Lavelle or Inniss, if he's considering that shape, but a less good right back than Egbo or Sessegnon.
    Morgan is a less bad option on the bench than Payne or McGrandles
    Neither Payne or McGrandles are anywhere near the first team.  Payne was awful Saturday & Tuesday.  McGrandles has previously been awful and passed up the opportunity to stake a claim last night.
    JFC is streets ahead of either, his continued omission from matchday squads is perverse.  If that's for non footballing reasons as rumoured, then all concerned are woeful charlatans discrediting the club and the game.
    Playing with no experienced strikers at all in the squad is a blatant public admission that you're totally disinterested in the result.
    Think Payne and Fraser were the only bright spots in the first half Saturday 
  • Options
    All we are is a fuccing pub side I think will be playing bromley next season the way things are going 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights and the only thing of note was that Morgan's goal celebration was so muted and miserable he looks like he's scored an own goal.
    He's so used to missing he didn't know what to do. 
    "Wow! I didn't blast it 20 yards over the crossbar... what do I do now?"
  • Options
    If we're continuing down the 4-3-3 route, I think the solution moving forward has to be a starting midfield and forward six of

Kirk/Rak-Sakyi + Stockley + Leaburn

Fraser + Dobson + Clare

This is almost a more attacking version of what Curbs/Powell used to do with their 4-4-2: three traditional centre mids with one playing a bit wider, two centre forwards and a tricky/intelligent wing player supporting them. Leaburn is not yet experienced enough to play alone through the middle for 90 mins but clearly remains our biggest goal threat when he is on the field. Giving opposition defenders two big blokes to worry about is going to do us a lot of good.

It also allows us to play in Garner's preferred shape while hopefully winning more territory battles. Keeping the ball at the right end of the pitch is going to be the best way of protecting fragile centre backs. Which by the way, hopefully we're seeing a pairing of O'Connell and Thomas flanked by Sessegnon and Egbo soon.

• Options
    Just watched the highlights and the only thing of note was that Morgan's goal celebration was so muted and miserable he looks like he's scored an own goal.
    He's so used to missing he didn't know what to do. 
    To be fair, we all no doubt reacted the same way :D
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If you look at the career goalscoring records of our players it is puzzling why we are so poor in the fina..............Oh wait a minute! I was looking at the wrong records!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you look at the career goalscoring records of our players it is puzzling why we are so poor in the fina..............Oh wait a minute! I was looking at the wrong records!
    Point of order!

I'm sure I read on here that on average Aneke scores a goal every 16 minutes he's on the pitch. So by my reckoning he should have at least ......... oh, hang on. As you were.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Point of order!

I'm sure I read on here that on average Aneke scores a goal every 16 months he's on the pitch. So by my reckoning he should have at least ......... oh, hang on. As you were.

• Options
    Rob said:
    Two people to blame. Sandgaard, of course, but Garner is awful. 2nd half we were awful. Never tested the goalie except for the penalty. All this ultra negative play. Garner, wake up and let’s get some creativity into this team. There’s no way we should have lost that. Your tactics blew the game for us, as has become more apparent in the last few games. Garnerball my arse. You’re useless. 
    Think Scott Marshall was in charge of the game, rather than Garner. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Two people to blame. Sandgaard, of course, but Garner is awful. 2nd half we were awful. Never tested the goalie except for the penalty. All this ultra negative play. Garner, wake up and let’s get some creativity into this team. There’s no way we should have lost that. Your tactics blew the game for us, as has become more apparent in the last few games. Garnerball my arse. You’re useless. 
    Harsh. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Think Scott Marshall was in charge of the game, rather than Garner. 
    Stewie Garner was definitely directing play from the sidelines....either that or Marshall was wearing a bald wig for the game.
  • Options
    I think Garner is anything but useless. 

He hooked a player that wasn't putting in effort and put one in that does put in effort. I think he made the wrong sub though. Clayden should have replaced Clare and move Chin to RB and Clayden LB. 

Clayden should have been fine against L2 opposition there and needs exposure to being a LB if that's what we now see his position as. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think Garner is anything but useless. 

He hooked a player that wasn't putting in effort and put one in that does put in effort. I think he made the wrong sub though. Clayden should have replaced Clare and move Chin to RB and Clayden LB. 

Clayden should have been fine against L2 opposition there and needs exposure to being a LB if that's what we now see his position as. 
    Spot on. 
  • Options
    I remember about the time that Garner arrived a Swindon fan told us that we would be watching about 90% boring play and 10% excitement with goals, he got the 90% right but of course you need an effective  striker for goals
  • Options
    Whether or not he’s useless is open to question. But, his style of play is soooo boring. And, yes, unless Marshall has a bald shiny head that was Garner directing play. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I remember about the time that Garner arrived a Swindon fan told us that we would be watching about 90% boring play and 10% excitement with goals, he got the 90% right but of course you need an effective  striker for goals
    I don't find it boring to be honest, results aside!
  • Options
    Rob said:
    It's our ressies in the Pizza Cup for fuck's sake, and our striker got injured after 40 minutes 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Rob said:
    It's our ressies in the Pizza Cup for fuck's sake, and our striker got injured after 40 minutes 
    I honestly never knew this many people cared so much about a pointless competition.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Leuth said:
    Rob said:
    I honestly never knew this many people cared so much about a pointless competition.
    The disgruntlement is less about the competition than about the bumbling bald bonehead responsible for the tactics
    Against a side 30 places below us in the leagues, also playing its 2nd string, his interventions made things worse, plan A faltered and he brought nothing.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Billy_Mix said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Leuth said:
    Rob said:
    The disgruntlement is less about the competition than about the bumbling bald bonehead responsible for the tactics
    Against a side 30 places below us in the leagues, also playing its 2nd string, his interventions made things worse, plan A faltered and he brought nothing.
    Not sure I get how this 'Plan A' criticism is still getting levelled at him... How many formations as he tried now, 4-5? He's changed formation in the middle of the past two matches. He started with a false 9. The guy is not inflexible. 
  • Options
    ''I honestly never knew this many people cared so much about a pointless competition.''

Quote from previous comment. Totally agree competition is pointless. But surely some sort of win
    may raise supporters morale slightly. Last game I enjoyed watching Charlton was against Plymouth
    last season. Ben Purrington scored - a player badly missed in my opinion, not great but left footed
    and better than the present mob! Best system in football - score more than the opponents. 
    Defence don't concede - not rocket science!