Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

1333435363739»

Comments

• Options
    Start at https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/ which is the proper online version of the booth in Leicester Square. Tickets go on sale daily at 00:01 for that day. However it's mostly shows that, you know, aren't selling that well. An app called TodayTix is ok. 
    Thanks, will have a look
  • Options
    I saw Jonathan Pie's Hero's and Villains last week. I thought it was Ok but the wife hated it.
    It remined me of Ben Elton on speed.
    Saw this too. Quite enjoyed it. Thought the support act on first (didn’t know her name) was decent. 
  • Options
    Saw Standing at the Sky's Edge yesterday. Really enjoyed it and is a very clever production with 3 very different stories brilliantly interwoven. Helps that I am a fan of Richard Hawley who did the music. Would recommend it. It's very thought provoking if a little bleak and sobering at times.
  • Options
    https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/people-places-and-things/

Highly recommend People places & things.  Saw this a few years ago and it’s back on again with the same incredible actress playing the lead role.I loved it. Only on for 14 weeks
  • Options
    Going to see The Government Inspector at the tiny Marylebone theatre on Friday and will be getting tickets for the stage adaption of Inside Number 9 when they go on sale on Weds.
  • Options
    Saw Standing at the Sky's Edge yesterday. Really enjoyed it and is a very clever production with 3 very different stories brilliantly interwoven. Helps that I am a fan of Richard Hawley who did the music. Would recommend it. It's very thought provoking if a little bleak and sobering at times.
    Also recommend and a Hawley fan. So wonderful 
  • Options
    Just secured tickets for Inside No 9 - Stage Fright at The Wyndham in January 2025. Over an hour in an online queue! Tickets are selling very quickly.
  • Options
    Just booked tickets for Grapes of Wrath at National in July 
  • Options
    Just secured tickets for Inside No 9 - Stage Fright at The Wyndham in January 2025. Over an hour in an online queue! Tickets are selling very quickly.
    Just bought some, thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't want to say much because @Blucher is going next week.
    Went to the Cherry Orchard at the Donmar this/yesterday evening and I liked it very much.
    Modernised but still a marvellous play. I've seen the play in different forms many times, so I have developed a mental construct of the ideal of it.
    Some bits in this production were added or extended. With Chekhov the translation needs to work.
    I will say one thing which isn't a spoiler. Chekhov was cheeky in stage directions and says one character must have squeaky shoes! Always a devil of a thing to do, but blow me down they achieved it.
    The whole thing was very well received by the audience.
  • Options
    Fawlty Towers on stage was excellent. Very true to the original, well cast and acted. I was sceptical whether it would work on stage but it did for me. 90 minutes flew by. 8/10
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don't want to say much because @Blucher is going next week.
    Went to the Cherry Orchard at the Donmar this/yesterday evening and I liked it very much.
    Modernised but still a marvellous play. I've seen the play in different forms many times, so I have developed a mental construct of the ideal of it.
    Some bits in this production were added or extended. With Chekhov the translation needs to work.
    I will say one thing which isn't a spoiler. Chekhov was cheeky in stage directions and says one character must have squeaky shoes! Always a devil of a thing to do, but blow me down they achieved it.
    The whole thing was very well received by the audience.
    Cheers Seth. Looking forward to seeing Nina Hoss, who's starred in a lot of Christian Petzold's films. I do like the Donmar - a very intimate venue.
  • Options
    Just secured tickets for Inside No 9 - Stage Fright at The Wyndham in January 2025. Over an hour in an online queue! Tickets are selling very quickly

Got tickets for this too!

Just got back from boys from the blackstuff at the national theatre. Reckon I'll give it 3/5. Very well acted, but I hadn't seen the original series (though I was well aware of it) I probably missed some of the references. Worth watching but not amazing 
  • Options
    Fun at the beach....romp bomp alomp at Southwark Playhouse this evening.

Absolutely bonkers. Parody of American Beach Movies and then crossed with Squid Games! Can't really explain it at all. It's as nuts as it is funny.

Suffice to say my daughter and I really enjoyed it and so did the rest of the sold out audience.

Kathy and Stella Solve a Murder next week and then Babies at The Other Palace towards the end of June.
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    meldrew66 said:
    kimbo said:
    Standing at the Skys Edge 9/10 

This feels like a show I should be seeing and reviews, like yours, all seem to be extremely positive but I've watched clips and it's not enthusing me for some reason which is weird as I do love a musical.

Do you like Richard Hawley? We loved it. So clever and a story well told 
    Richard Hawley is the main reason I am going to see this in May.
    I've been a fan of his music since the Coles Corner album. I even got to interact with him on his forum back then. He was an active member on there and very kind and down to earth. I haven't been following his career as closely in recent years though. I vaguely remember seeing news regarding this show. Is there anywhere on the internet that I can watch it? (I'm in China.)
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    kimbo said:
    meldrew66 said:
    kimbo said:

This feels like a show I should be seeing and reviews, like yours, all seem to be extremely positive but I've watched clips and it's not enthusing me for some reason which is weird as I do love a musical.

I've been a fan of his music since the Coles Corner album. I even got to interact with him on his forum back then. He was an active member on there and very kind and down to earth. I haven't been following his career as closely in recent years though. I vaguely remember seeing news regarding this show. Is there anywhere on the internet that I can watch it? (I'm in China.)
    It's a National Theatre production and they do stream shows every now and again. I am not aware that this has been filmed though. Worth keeping an eye on the NT website.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    kimbo said:
    meldrew66 said:
    kimbo said:

It's a National Theatre production and they do stream shows every now and again. I am not aware that this has been filmed though. Worth keeping an eye on the NT website.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip off. Fortunately didn't have to wait in a qeue.
  • Options
    Saw Two Strangers Carry a Cake Across New York yesterday afternoon. Cheap last minute tickets.

Really enjoyed it. Only two actors in the cast. Unusually for a musical there were genuinely funny one liners as well as decent songs.

It's at the Criterion and would recommend it to any one who fancies an easy watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kathy and Stella Solve a Murder last night. Great show and deserves the wider audience it is getting after running off west end and at the fringe in the past.

All I would say is the Ambassadors Theatre should be selling seats in row E in the circle with a leg room warning. If you are over 5ft 6 you are struggling. So uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Kathy and Stella Solve a Murder last night. Great show and deserves the wider audience it is getting after running off west end and at the fringe in the past.

All I would say is the Ambassadors Theatre should be selling seats in row E in the circle with a leg room warning. If you are over 5ft 6 you are struggling. So uncomfortable.
    Leave a review on seat plan.com. 

I tend to check here before I book seats to be assured it’s not a bad seat. 

As a related issue I’ve learnt to my cost in west end theatres if it gets described as ‘restricted’ it really is !
  • Options

As a related issue I’ve learnt to my cost in west end theatres if it gets described Is ‘restricted’ it really is .
  • Options

As a related issue I’ve learnt to my cost in west end theatres if it gets described Is ‘restricted’ it really is .
    The annoying thing is, I actually checked Seatplan. AS the seats were highy rated I only checked the photo on one review. Had I bothered to read a few reviews they actually mention how bad the leg room is in this row. Been to the Ambassadors 5/6 times and never had the issue before 
  • Options

The annoying thing is, I actually checked Seatplan. AS the seats were highy rated I only checked the photo on one review. Had I bothered to read a few reviews they actually mention how bad the leg room is in this row. Been to the Ambassadors 5/6 times and never had the issue before 
    Sounds like bad luck unfortunately. I agree Ambassador’s generally offers good views from most seats I feel and last time I was there (Enfield Haunting I think) I remember thinking no point laying for premium seats - I will read the reviews more closely too!

Im not tall but as a preference tend to go for aisle seats as a rule. 
  • Options
    Booked tickets to take my daughter to see Six next month. Anyone on here seen it?
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Booked tickets to take my daughter to see Six next month. Anyone on here seen it?
    Yes! 3 times. 
    You’ll both love it! Took my nieces one time and shared the soundtrack with them before hand so they knew the words to some of the songs and I think that increased their enjoyment/helped them understand. 
    It’s fun, and clever. And no interval so quite (too) short! 
  • Options
    Yes! 3 times. 
    You’ll both love it! Took my nieces one time and shared the soundtrack with them before hand so they knew the words to some of the songs and I think that increased their enjoyment/helped them understand. 
    It’s fun, and clever. And no interval so quite (too) short! 
    Thanks Suze, she already knows all the songs off by heart.