Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Know Sarf London ?

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

The Waterman Arms[/quote]

And who can remember the song that mentioned the Watermans Arms in it?
  • Options
    Plumstead Manor was Kings Warren in an earlier life I think. they wore brown uniforms if memory serves me right.
  • Options
    Or was it Plum Lane? Top of Shooters Hill would be the water tower?
  • Options
    There used to be a secondary school on Highcombe in Charlton. It got turned into a Sixth form college in the late 80s, and later on got flattened and turned into houses.
    1) What was the name of the Sixth Form College
    2) What was the name of the School
    3) Who is the school's most famous former pupil?

There used to be a small yacht on display near the Cutty Sark
    4) What was it called?
    5) what was it famous for?
    6) Where the hell does the name cutty sark come from?

The Old Royal Observatory is at the top of the hill in Greenwich Park
    7) What's the name of the statue next to the entrance
    8) What does the orange ball on top of the observatory do?
    9) What's the green laser for?
  • Options
    Aliwibble

4) Is Gypsy Moth IV - Sir Francis Chichesters Boat
    5) the first boat to sail single-handed around the world by the clipper route, and the fastest to circumnavigate the globe, in nine months and one day overall.
  • Options
    6) The name Cutty Sark came from a Scottish undergarment which was the nickname of the fictional character Nannie in Burns poem Tam O'Shanter who wore the cutty sark leading to the phrase "Weel done, Cutty Sark", and this became a well known phrase. It was also the name of the ship's figurehead.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    next in eltham was previously the carpenters arms?

i played football for johnson phillips. never knew where the name came from though.

statue in greenwich park - general wolfe?

the orange ball i think moves up or down at 1 o'clock each day.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]next in eltham was previously the carpenters arms?

i played football for johnson phillips. never knew where the name came from though.

the orange ball i think moves up or down at 1 o'clock each day.[/quote]

If you played football for J&P do you know Malc, Matt & Frank?
  • Options
    There used to be a secondary school on Highcombe in Charlton. It got turned into a Sixth form college in the late 80s, and later on got flattened and turned into houses.
    1) What was the name of the Sixth Form College
    2) What was the name of the School St Austins?
    3) Who is the school's most famous former pupil?
  • Options
    1) What was the name of the Sixth Form College - christ the king

2) What was the name of the School - st.austins

3) Who is the school's most famous former pupil? - jim davidson or john regis

7) What's the name of the statue next to the entrance - james wolfe

8) What does the orange ball on top of the observatory do? - goes up and drops at 1pm? for the sailors to set the time

9) What's the green laser for? - meridian line
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

How about this then. During WW2 a german plane flew low over Greenwich Park and straifed the main avenue where the statue is at the end. Next time you're there have a look at the Wolfe statue closely (on the Blackheath side) and you can still see the bullet holes in the plinth. Straight up.
  • Options
    6) Where the hell does the name cutty sark come from?

I think it was a type of short dress or skirt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Or was it Plum Lane? Top of Shooters Hill would be the water tower?

No - the top of Shooters hill is somewhere else!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Let's see if anyone is smart -
    Where is the top of Shooters Hill?

What used to be kept on the site of the site of the old Unison offices at the top of Grand Depot Road in Woolwich?

What did Plumstead Manor School used to be called? (Slag Manor is not acceptable!!)

What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

What used to be behind Kidbrooke Library?

I heard once that the top of Shooters Hill was removed and dumped on woolwich common because busses could handle the gradient.

Don't know about Plumstead Manor

The pub was the Watermans Arms. An uncle used to tell me that the landlord had to go out and buy light ales from the local off licence because he was always running out.

There used to be a civil defence air raid shelter behind the library. I'm sure all the citizens of Kidbrooke slept easier knowing if the Russians dropped the bomb they'd be OK :)
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright

I heard once that the top of Shooters Hill was removed and dumped on woolwich common because busses could handle the gradient.

Don't know about Plumstead Manor

The pub was the Watermans Arms. An uncle used to tell me that the landlord had to go out and buy light ales from the local off licence because he was always running out.

There used to be a civil defence air raid shelter behind the library. I'm sure all the citizens of Kidbrooke slept easier knowing if the Russians dropped the bomb they'd be OK :)

Top of Shooters Hill was removed to make up the parade ground in front of the Royal Artillery Barracks, and also to reduce the gradient.

There was a Civil Defence shelter behind Kidbrooke Library. It was flooded when I worked there (many years ago) - Had a huge chess board painted on top of it.

Plumstead Manor was Kings Warren
  • Options
    John Regis went to John Roan.

I remember the Watermans - landlord was a nasty bit of work, had cuttings on the wall about the Yorkshire Ripper and how he used to drink in Charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Great stuff peeps, I've learnt a lot, but now I have one for you:

Who knows why Sarf London is Wonderful?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Great stuff peeps, I've learnt a lot, but now I have one for you:

Who knows why Sarf London is Wonderful?

according to a thread last year it's famous for being full of chips, grannies and charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    At last I can teach my Grandsons the words to that song, for all these years I thought it was rather rude, now I know the truth, thanks PBS.
  • Options
    John Regis did go to St Austins , he was in the same year as my brother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]John Regis went to John Roan.

i meant the athelete.
  • Options
    Ah-ha. Oops.
  • Options
    Sarf London is wonderful because it aint east,west or North
  • Options
    as I understand it from my primary education at James Wolfe School (so very hazy now) the cutty sark figure head was a witch from the poem (depicted holding a horses tail) as she chased a fella but couldn't follow him over a bridge grabbed his horse's tail, thought the garment she wore was the 'cutty sark' vest but could be wrong..

General Wolfe won the battle of quebec (against French candians) by landing his men and leading them up a cliff path, he died in the assault.

:)

PS sorry if already been said..
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Haven't had the answer about Grand Depot Road and Unison.

in the meantime...

At one time Eltham had three cinemas. The Odeon at Well Hall, what is now the bingo hall on Eltham Hill, where was the third?

Which building was started in the 17th century by James 1 as a place to keep his wife out of the way (they didn't get on apparently)?

Which pub in Verdant Lane, no longer there, was used in the making of 'The Long Good Friday'?

What clubs have played home games at Park View Road?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    At one time Eltham had three cinemas. The Odeon at Well Hall, what is now the bingo hall on Eltham Hill, where was the third?

i think the corner of passey place and eltham high street (now clarkes shoes) was once a cinema.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Correct, we used to call it the flea pit, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

i think the corner of passey place and eltham high street (now clarkes shoes) was once a cinema.

Correct, we used to call it the flea pit, for obvious reasons.

The third one was the ABC but I thought it was further up the road, where Iceland now sits?
  • Options
    Which pub in Verdant Lane, no longer there, was used in the making of 'The Long Good Friday'? - the governor general?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]Which pub in Verdant Lane, no longer there, was used in the making of 'The Long Good Friday'? - the governor general?

Governer General is (was?) in Wellington Street Woolwich. Not the name of the pub I'm looking for.