Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Know Sarf London ?

Comments

• Options
    OK a few more questions then:
    35) What used to be on the site of Lewisham Tescos?
    36) What was the name of the pub that used to be opposite where the Elverson Road DLR station is now on Coldbath St?
    37) What was the name of the pub on the corner of Deptford Broadway and Brookmill Rd that became a noodle bar?

• Options
    edited September 2017

rananegra said:

What was the pub called where Nandos in Lewisham now stands? (Quiz as I think I remember)

Was it the Sultan?
    Definitely was the Sultan. For years before it closed there only ever seemed to be about 3 old geezers in it every time I went past.
    The landlord back in the late 60's and 70's was Dougie together with his two sons......the El Partido night club discotheque was above the pub.
    My crowd, which originated from the Lewsham MOD's scene, used it for years and it was a very popular pub back in those days.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

36) What was the name of the pub that used to be opposite where the Elverson Road DLR station is now on Coldbath St?
    37) What was the name of the pub on the corner of Deptford Broadway and Brookmill Rd that became a noodle bar?

35 was Watneys Brewery ?
  • Options
    38) What was the name of the huge doss house in Brookmill Road?
  • Options

rananegra said:

35 was Watneys Brewery ?
    It was a brewery, but not Watneys. Originally Anchor Brewery, the site was bought by Whitbread and used as a bottling plant in 1890
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    37) The Fountain.
  • Options

Carrington House.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

So many pubs have gone in Lewisham - there used to be 5 from the station up to the bottom of Loampit Hill and only the Rising Sun remains.

Saw my brother yesterday and he told me there's only one pub left in Erith, where we were brought up. (There are a few in North Heath and remarkably still 2 in Slade Green).

used to frequent The Dutchess of Kent in Brook Street a lot, especially after a home game
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Off_it said:

[cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

[cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No, the Plough was still there last time I looked - although I think it's name has changed a dozen or so times.

I'm talking about the little boozer on the actual road up to the station where the DLR is now.

I would have known 30 years ago but struggling to remember now!

I'm struggling myself Len, but am sure it had "Kent" in the name and "Mid Kent Tavern" is what is in my mind. Does that ring any bells? Tiny little place, all run down and smelling of pee!
    -------
    I though it was the Man of Kent.

(edited to try and fix the quoting, but failed)

Is it the North Kent Tavern on Sprey St opposite the dole office? Made the Dover Castle next to the college look posh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is North Woolwich Kent, Sarf London, Narf London or Essex?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

The Waterman Arms

The Antigallican was in a John le Carre novel.
  • Options
    sm said:

It was Kent until the Borough of Woolwich joined London I think, then was transferred to Newham in 1965. So it has been administratively part of Kent, Sarf London and Norf London, but not Essex since Norman times
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Have never seen this thread before most illuminating.

So, my contribution - which foot tunnel under the Thames is nearest to The Valley?

Interesting question to which I don't know the answer!

I don't think there's much in it if pushed I'd plump for Woolwich being marginally closer but I really don't know!
  • Options
    Do you know or not Len
  • Options
    rananegra said:

sm said:

It was Kent until the Borough of Woolwich joined London I think, then was transferred to Newham in 1965. So it has been administratively part of Kent, Sarf London and Norf London, but not Essex since Norman times
    Correct - nice to think that Kent used to have some land north of the river.
  • Options
    I should know this but how did North Woolwich become part of Woolwich in the first place given the natural barrier of the river?

My guess would be as a result of the ferry but that is a guess.
  • Options
    39) My mates uncle had a business selling 2nd hand car parts for a certain make of car on the Wolwich Rd, I think it was near enough opposite Ransome walk, can anyone remember the name of it?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I should know this but how did North Woolwich become part of Woolwich in the first place given the natural barrier of the river?

But the river Thames is NOT a natural barrier, not at all. Many South London districts are north of the river, Chelsea, Fulham and Victoria for example.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

But the river Thames is NOT a natural barrier, not at all. Many South London districts are north of the river, Chelsea, Fulham and Victoria for example.
    Yep - North Woolwich being part of Kent (Kent in Essex as it was called) goes back to the Norman conquest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    Correct.....how did you know that by the way?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

So, my contribution - which foot tunnel under the Thames is nearest to The Valley?

I don't think there's much in it if pushed I'd plump for Woolwich being marginally closer but I really don't know!
    Maybe this is a something of a trick question......I'm guessing but maybe it's possible to walk between the Thames Barrier pods under the river bed?
  • Options

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    There used to be a long wall outside Carrington House. Part brick, part metal. Do you know what the metal part was made from? Upcycling way ahead of its time.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    There used to be a long wall outside Carrington House. Part brick, part metal. Do you know what the metal part was made from? Upcycling way ahead of its time.
    No....not a clue?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    Simon Church's recycled calipers?
  • Options

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    No....not a clue?
    Stretchers from the war. I think it was the First WW. My Dad would tell me this every time we went past which was quite often.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    No....not a clue?
    Stretchers from the war. I think it was the First WW. My Dad would tell me this every time we went past which was quite often.
    Now there's a thing.......I assume they're long gone though?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

I don't think any of them are South London districts. They might have SW postcodes but they're not in South London. Nor do the people who live or work there think that.

• Options

25May98 said:

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    No....not a clue?
    Now there's a thing.......I assume they're long gone though?
    Probably. I don't go to that part of the world nowadays. If they are still there and if I do go past, first thing I'll tell my kids - and then every time I go past after too.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

It was a bit of a sneaky question. There's an access tunnel under the Thames Barrier connecting the two sides. It's mainly used for maintenance access to the piers between the barrier gates. My Dad knew the Chief Engineer on the project and wangled a private tour shortly after the barrier became operational. The piers seem huge when you are standing on one of them. Fascinating tour!

BTW. I don't know but I'm guessing, if you took the height from the bottom of the access tunnel (which is below the Thames river bed obviously) to the top of a pier, it would not surprise me if the Barrier was the highest structure in South London and not the toolbox waste chimney.