Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Know Sarf London ?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    At one time Eltham had three cinemas. The Odeon at Well Hall, what is now the bingo hall on Eltham Hill, where was the third?

i think the corner of passey place and eltham high street (now clarkes shoes) was once a cinema.

Correct, we used to call it the flea pit, for obvious reasons.

The third one was the ABC but I thought it was further up the road, where Iceland now sits?

I definitely remeber it being on Passey Place but don't remember it looking like the one here
  • Options
    i thought it was director general in woolwich.
  • Options
    Threadkiller - Hat's off to you.

The DG is in Woolwich. I think the pub I've got in mind may have been known by more than one name. Are you talking about the one on the corner of Whitefoot lane that's now a petrol station?
  • Options
    What's the tallest structure in South East London?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]What's the tallest structure in South East London?
    The TV mast at Crystal Palace?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]What's the tallest structure in South East London?
    Guys tower? (does SE1 count?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Threadkiller - Hat's off to you.

The DG is in Woolwich. I think the pub I've got in mind may have been known by more than one name. Are you talking about the one on the corner of Whitefoot lane that's now a petrol station?

I thought it was the Governor General too. They knocked it down years ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Threadkiller - Hat's off to you.

I thought it was the Governor General too. They knocked it down years ago.

I thought it was also known at one time as the Northover. Sorry if I've caused confusion. This is what happens when brewers mess with landmarks!
  • Options
    THe Crystal Palace tower is the highest thing in SE London but it is not the tallest structure from ground to top niether is Guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]THe Crystal Palace tower is the highest thing in SE London but it is not the tallest structure from ground to top niether is Guys.

Shooters Hill water tower?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]THe Crystal Palace tower is the highest thing in SE London but it is not the tallest structure from ground to top niether is Guys.[/quote]

Shooters Hill water tower?[/quote]

The Dome?
  • Options
    I've been told it is Chimney, which one?
  • Options
    SouthamptonAddick
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

The Waterman Arms

And who can remember the song that mentioned the Watermans Arms in it?

you walk into the Watermans Arms and hear a mighty roar
    F off you Millwall bstards
    We are the Charlton boys

Hi HO. Hi Ho, we are the charlton boys ....
  • Options
    The orange ball at the Observatory was dropped at 1200 GMT to enable the seafarers in the Pool of London to set their chronometers to the correct time. Of course in summer 1200GMT is 1pm London time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]SouthamptonAddick[quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

The Waterman Arms[/quote]

you walk into the Watermans Arms and hear a mighty roar
    F off you Millwall bstards
    We are the Charlton boys

Hi HO. Hi Ho, we are the charlton boys ....[/quote]

Thankyou Stonemuse. I thought no one was talking to me.
  • Options
    The Chimney for the Lewisham rubbish incinerator, you know the one by Zampa road, is the tallest structure in an SE post code.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]The Chimney for the Lewisham rubbish incinerator, you know the one by Zampa road, is the tallest structure in an SE post code.

hahaha! Now you mention it...
  • Options
    The department store in Eltham was "Hinds", in Lewisham was "Cheismans" later taken over by "Army and Navy", the only pie and mash shop in Greenwich was Goddards, Manzes was (and still is) in Deptford High Street. The "New Cross Empire" was the theatre, right opposite "Addey and Stanhope" school, which I attended.
    As for missing pubs, look up "The lost pubs project" very interesting and informative.
  • Options

[quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

You walk into the Waterman Arms and you hear a mighty roar
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

[quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]What was the name of the pub opposite the Antigallican that was pulled own to make way for the dual carriageway?

You walk into the Waterman Arms and you hear a mighty roar
    And there's The Yorkshire Ripper standing by the door.
  • Options
    Have never seen this thread before most illuminating.

So, my contribution - which foot tunnel under the Thames is nearest to The Valley?
  • Options
    What was the pub called where Nandos in Lewisham now stands? (Quiz as I think I remember)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Off_it said:

[cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

[cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No, the Plough was still there last time I looked - although I think it's name has changed a dozen or so times.

I'm talking about the little boozer on the actual road up to the station where the DLR is now.

I would have known 30 years ago but struggling to remember now!

I'm struggling myself Len, but am sure it had "Kent" in the name and "Mid Kent Tavern" is what is in my mind. Does that ring any bells? Tiny little place, all run down and smelling of pee!

-------
    I though it was the Man of Kent.

(edited to try and fix the quoting, but failed)
  • Options
    The man of Kent was in Eltham high street
  • Options

What was the pub called where Nandos in Lewisham now stands? (Quiz as I think I remember)

Was it the Sultan?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    34) What was the Progress Estate called before it was purchased by the Royal Arsenal Co Operative Society?
  • Options

1)What are the two rivers that run through Lewisham(even the rivers run when in Lewisham)?

2) What once stood on the site of Macros at Charlton ?

3) Name the two Eltham railway stations.

4) Name the 3 hospitals that used to be down the length of Shootershill.

The Quaggy & Ravensbourne
    Charlton dog track
    Eltham well hall & Eltham park south
    Royal Herbert
    The Brook
    The Memorial
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Was it the Sultan?
    Definitely was the Sultan. For years before it closed there only ever seemed to be about 3 old geezers in it every time I went past.
  • Options
    So many pubs have gone in Lewisham - there used to be 5 from the station up to the bottom of Loampit Hill and only the Rising Sun remains.

Saw my brother yesterday and he told me there's only one pub left in Erith, where we were brought up. (There are a few in North Heath and remarkably still 2 in Slade Green).