Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Know Sarf London ?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    cafcfan said:

LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

Have never seen this thread before most illuminating.

So, my contribution - which foot tunnel under the Thames is nearest to The Valley?

Interesting question to which I don't know the answer!

I don't think there's much in it if pushed I'd plump for Woolwich being marginally closer but I really don't know!
    It was a bit of a sneaky question. There's an access tunnel under the Thames Barrier connecting the two sides. It's mainly used for maintenance access to the piers between the barrier gates. My Dad knew the Chief Engineer on the project and wangled a private tour shortly after the barrier became operational. The piers seem huge when you are standing on one of them. Fascinating tour!

BTW. I don't know but I'm guessing, if you took the height from the bottom of the access tunnel (which is below the Thames river bed obviously) to the top of a pier, it would not surprise me if the Barrier was the highest structure in South London and not the toolbox waste chimney.
    So I guessed right.....do I get a like from you cafcfan?
  • Options
    25May98 said:

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

38) What was the name of the huge doss house in Brookmill Road?

Carrington House.
    Correct.....how did you know that by the way?
    There used to be a long wall outside Carrington House. Part brick, part metal. Do you know what the metal part was made from? Upcycling way ahead of its time.
    No....not a clue?
    Stretchers from the war. I think it was the First WW. My Dad would tell me this every time we went past which was quite often.
    Yes, I was told the railings were stretchers too, but in the version I was told, they were made for the second world war, to cope with expected casualties of the London blitz. Post war they were used in a lot of the new council estates built to deal with the housing shortage. Railings/stretchers were still there when Carrington House was converted into flats so assume they are still there?
  • Options

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    When St Mungo started up out of a ramshackle place in Battersea i used to do whole night soup runs once a week, I got to learn a bit about homeless shelters that way.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    When St Mungo started up out of a ramshackle place in Battersea i used to do whole night soup runs once a week, I got to learn a bit about homeless shelters that way.
    I was of course actually pulling your leg.....but that's a nice reply and good to hear you do your bit for the homeless.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the name of the mens clothes shop that used to be near the crossroads ?? Brought a nice pair of sky blue farahs there for a christmas party!!
  • Options

25May98 said:

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    There used to be a long wall outside Carrington House. Part brick, part metal. Do you know what the metal part was made from? Upcycling way ahead of its time.
    No....not a clue?
    Stretchers from the war. I think it was the First WW. My Dad would tell me this every time we went past which was quite often.
    Yes, I was told the railings were stretchers too, but in the version I was told, they were made for the second world war, to cope with expected casualties of the London blitz. Post war they were used in a lot of the new council estates built to deal with the housing shortage. Railings/stretchers were still there when Carrington House was converted into flats so assume they are still there?
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/campaign-launched-to-save-south-londons-stretcher-fences-once-used-to-carry-wounded-civilians-in-the-a3609751.html

Still plenty around...
  • Options
    rel="floydroadfaithfull">Does anyone remember the name of the mens clothes shop that used to be near the crossroads ?? Brought a nice pair of sky blue farahs there for a christmas party!!

Was it Payne's the clothes shop for big boned blokes? Farah's for men with loose muscle
  • Options

cafcfan said:

LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

Have never seen this thread before most illuminating.

So, my contribution - which foot tunnel under the Thames is nearest to The Valley?

Interesting question to which I don't know the answer!

I don't think there's much in it if pushed I'd plump for Woolwich being marginally closer but I really don't know!
    It was a bit of a sneaky question. There's an access tunnel under the Thames Barrier connecting the two sides. It's mainly used for maintenance access to the piers between the barrier gates. My Dad knew the Chief Engineer on the project and wangled a private tour shortly after the barrier became operational. The piers seem huge when you are standing on one of them. Fascinating tour!

BTW. I don't know but I'm guessing, if you took the height from the bottom of the access tunnel (which is below the Thames river bed obviously) to the top of a pier, it would not surprise me if the Barrier was the highest structure in South London and not the toolbox waste chimney.
    So I guessed right.....do I get a like from you cafcfan?
    Your wish is my command.

But I've been an idiot on the highest structure. Since this thread started things have moved on, we now have The Shard. That's in SE London isn't it? (Just).
  • Options
    Here's a couple that my fellow old fogey's probably know.

Which Hospital (long since closed down) did the old Woolwich Workhouse become?

The Thames Barrier Arms closed down many years ago, but what name did it previously go by (in the days when I used to frequent)?
  • Options

The Thames Barrier Arms closed down many years ago, but what name did it previously go by (in the days when I used to frequent)?

The Brook Hospital?

Thames Barrier Arms used to be the Paradise Massage Lounge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

The lads of the village?
  • Options
    ads said:

The Brook Hospital?

Thames Barrier Arms used to be the Paradise Massage Lounge
    No to both ads.
    Paradise Massage Lounge must have passed me by. Sounds interesting :wink:
  • Options

The lads of the village?
    Correct
  • Options

25May98 said:

25May98 said:

seth plum said:

Carrington House.
    No....not a clue?
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/campaign-launched-to-save-south-londons-stretcher-fences-once-used-to-carry-wounded-civilians-in-the-a3609751.html

Still plenty around...
    Quite a few around bermondsey still
  • Options
    Riviera said:

34) What was the Progress Estate called before it was purchased by the Royal Arsenal Co Operative Society?

Too many questions and not enough answers!

No one has tried No.34
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

I should know this but how did North Woolwich become part of Woolwich in the first place given the natural barrier of the river?

My guess would be as a result of the ferry but that is a guess.

But the river Thames is NOT a natural barrier, not at all. Many South London districts are north of the river, Chelsea, Fulham and Victoria for example.
    Try and walk across it without a bridge then - alright it's a heavily managed watercourse, but I'd say it's a natural barrier between the two 'halves' of London.

Chelsea, Fulham and Victoria are spirituality west London anyway. We'll have North Woolwich though, mainly because I like sugar in my tea
  • Options
    34) The Well Hall Estate.
  • Options

Not quite, Well Hall Garden City is the answer.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Riviera said:

Have heard references to well hall estate but always thought that was dunvegan etc.
    Had also heard that the progress was designed like a garden city.

40) Do you know what the area of hutments by and behind the welcome inn used to be known as?
  • Options
    The flats on Dog Kennel Hill still have those stretchers for fences, well they did last year when I went to see Dulwich Hamlet play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

34) What was the Progress Estate called before it was purchased by the Royal Arsenal Co Operative Society?

Too many questions and not enough answers!

No one has tried No.34
    Or no.39!
  • Options
    St Nicks hospital was originally Woolwich workhouse
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I should know this but how did North Woolwich become part of Woolwich in the first place given the natural barrier of the river?

My guess would be as a result of the ferry but that is a guess.

Spoils of war or satisfying the demand of some Norman duke to build a castle up north near his family.
  • Options

St Nicks hospital was originally Woolwich workhouse

Correct!
  • Options
    edited September 2017

1)What are the two rivers that run through Lewisham(even the rivers run when in Lewisham)?

Would they be The Quaggy and Ravensbourne rivers?
    Finger on the pulse, me.
    Mid Kent

about to go....

• Options
    What was the name of the pub built under the side of Lewisham Odeon.......you used to go down a flight of stairs to get into it? Down the left hand side street as you looked at The Odeon
    I'm actually asking, as I can't remember myself.
  • Options

What was the name of the pub built under the side of Lewisham Odeon.......you used to go down a flight of stairs to get into it? Down the left hand side street as you looked at The Odeon

Are you thinking of The Roebuck in Rennell Street? Fullers pub which had had a downstairs bar with live bands especially country and western.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Are you thinking of The Roebuck in Rennell Street? Fullers pub which had had a downstairs bar with live bands especially country and western.
    Yes, that's it.....nice one Len!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Have heard references to well hall estate but always thought that was dunvegan etc.

40) Do you know what the area of hutments by and behind the welcome inn used to be known as?
    The Cinder Path?
  • Options

Riviera said:

The Cinder Path?
    Not heard that before.

What I was on about was it was known as "the planets" as the streets were named Jupiter close & Venus close etc.