Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm all Charlton-ed out ! Lets talk biscuits

Comments

• Options
    Low calorie, low sugar, low fat, dry oat biscuit...

Or a chocolate borbon!
  • Options
    I like the ginger snaps you get in starbucks because when dunked for a short amount of time the middle goes chewy.

also a nice lemon puff has to be up there
  • Options
    Tunnock's Caramel Wafers are superb.  I'm also partial to the occasional Oreo.
    Very nice but not a biscuit. Someone at work said what about  Jaffa Cakes being biscuits or cakes debate (didnt know there was one). I replied the clue is in their name.
    Oh, I wonder why Tunnock's put "Caramel Wafer Biscuit" on the wrapper then?  The Jafa Cakes thing was a court case with HMRC about whether they attracted VAT.  Our mighty Customs had designated them as biscuits. McVities won as the Court ruled they were cakes so they are sold without VAT.  There's VAT on biscuits.
    Only if they're "wholly or partly covered in chocolate". Doesn't matter how much chocolate there is on a cake.

Anyway, I'm partial to a Bourbon.
  • Options
    Caramel Tim Tams ; )
    are you out in Australia ? tim tams are quality and maybe even better than a penguin

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Tunnock's Caramel Wafers are superb.  I'm also partial to the occasional Oreo.
    Very nice but not a biscuit. Someone at work said what about  Jaffa Cakes being biscuits or cakes debate (didnt know there was one). I replied the clue is in their name.
    Oh, I wonder why Tunnock's put "Caramel Wafer Biscuit" on the wrapper then?  The Jafa Cakes thing was a court case with HMRC about whether they attracted VAT.  Our mighty Customs had designated them as biscuits. McVities won as the Court ruled they were cakes so they are sold without VAT.  There's VAT on biscuits.
    Only if they're "wholly or partly covered in chocolate". Doesn't matter how much chocolate there is on a cake.

Anyway, I'm partial to a Bourbon.
    Me too

• Options
    though traditionally i'm a Fox's man, a new entry into the PBS biscuit chart has come from mcvities.
    step forward the new mcvities quirk.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Everything that is wrong with Britain in one survey. 
    Ginger Nuts at 14th?
    Bourbons down in 9th?
    Rich Tea up at 13th?
    What is wrong with people?

Perspectus Global;

Ellie Glason director at Perspectus Global said: “We were surprised to see just how much the nation still loves a biscuit, and especially the people of Norwich who get through a staggering 650 a year.

“It’s also interesting to see from the research that American imports such as the Oreo and Maryland Cookie have found their way into the top 20, even beating Garibaldi and Fig Rolls.

“Yet the British public clearly still hold the Chocolate Digestive close to their hearts, with the biscuit emerging as the clear winner of the poll.”

Britain’s top 20 biscuits

1. Chocolate Digestives
    2. Shortbread
    3. Chocolate Fingers
    4. Jaffa Cakes
    5. Chocolate Hob Nobs
    6. Custard Creams
    7. Jammie Dodgers
    8. Maryland Cookies
    9. Bourbons
    10. Crunch Creams
    11. Digestives
    12. Viennese Whirls
    13. Rich Tea
    14. Ginger Nuts
    15. Hob Nobs
    16. Oreo
    17. Malted Milk
    18. Nice
    19. Fig Rolls
    20. Garibaldi
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Everything that is wrong with Britain in one survey. 
    Ginger Nuts at 14th?
    Bourbons down in 9th?
    Rich Tea up at 13th?
    What is wrong with people?

Perspectus Global;

Ellie Glason director at Perspectus Global said: “We were surprised to see just how much the nation still loves a biscuit, and especially the people of Norwich who get through a staggering 650 a year.

“It’s also interesting to see from the research that American imports such as the Oreo and Maryland Cookie have found their way into the top 20, even beating Garibaldi and Fig Rolls.

“Yet the British public clearly still hold the Chocolate Digestive close to their hearts, with the biscuit emerging as the clear winner of the poll.”

Britain’s top 20 biscuits

1. Chocolate Digestives
    2. Shortbread
    3. Chocolate Fingers
    4. Jaffa Cakes
    5. Chocolate Hob Nobs
    6. Custard Creams
    7. Jammie Dodgers
    8. Maryland Cookies
    9. Bourbons
    10. Crunch Creams
    11. Digestives
    12. Viennese Whirls
    13. Rich Tea
    14. Ginger Nuts
    15. Hob Nobs
    16. Oreo
    17. Malted Milk
    18. Nice
    19. Fig Rolls
    20. Garibaldi
    At least squashed fly biscuits no 20 down where they belong. Otherwise I conclude it was a poll of the under 8s.
  • Options
    Rich Tea, honestly.  

Also Jaffa Cakes are cakes, not biscuits, and chocolate hobnobs were robbed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Abbey Crunch were nice.
  • Options
    I'm disgusted, 

Chocolate digestives over custard creams, bourbons, rich tea and as for Jaffa Cakes even being in the list - WTF!

bobmunro said:
    I loved Lincoln biscuits - whatever happened to them?
    Me too, my Nan used to have this big round biscuit tin, always a selection of various biscuits but always lincolns.

Mcvitiy stopped production about 10 or so years ago....... but, and @bobmunro you'd better sit down for this'

https://www.avonvalefoods.com/product/jacobs-lincoln-biscuits/

I'm ordering as we speak!
  • Options
    United Biscuits was my "mother company" so I know my biscuits, but it was so long ago, I have never even encountered a chocolate Hob Nob. As regards the no1, you should of course buy McVities, and personally I'd always choose plain chocolate. In my day they were branded "Chocolate Homewheat" to distinguish themselves from impostors. Custard creams are all very well but we had a range of three upmarket "creams", chocolatey Gipsy Creams were my fave, I can't remember the other two, but none of them sold well. Lincolns didnt sell well either. I can almost picture the sales sheet, but I can't remember many names, it was a big list, so many must have gone. Especially the wafers, remember the pink ones? 

I'm quite surprised to see shortbread and choc fingers in the top three, they were never big sellers, shortbread were a Christmas thing. The thing with Rich Tea is, they were the best dunking biscuits... "A drink's too wet without one" remember?

That list doesn't include what we called countlines, individual wrapped bikkies, of which the king was of course pppppick up a Penguin, followed by Jacobs Club from the opposition.

I used to have pretty much free rein to take home whatever biscuits I wanted. It's a miracle I haven't ended up as porky as Kashashy.
  • Options
    a Tim Tam beats a Penguin hands down. Like a Choco Libnitz personally.
  • Options
    United Biscuits was my "mother company" so I know my biscuits, but it was so long ago, I have never even encountered a chocolate Hob Nob. As regards the no1, you should of course buy McVities, and personally I'd always choose plain chocolate. In my day they were branded "Chocolate Homewheat" to distinguish themselves from impostors. Custard creams are all very well but we had a range of three upmarket "creams", chocolatey Gipsy Creams were my fave, I can't remember the other two, but none of them sold well. Lincolns didnt sell well either. I can almost picture the sales sheet, but I can't remember many names, it was a big list, so many must have gone. Especially the wafers, remember the pink ones? 

I'm quite surprised to see shortbread and choc fingers in the top three, they were never big sellers, shortbread were a Christmas thing. The thing with Rich Tea is, they were the best dunking biscuits... "A drink's too wet without one" remember?

That list doesn't include what we called countlines, individual wrapped bikkies, of which the king was of course pppppick up a Penguin, followed by Jacobs Club from the opposition.

I used to have pretty much free rein to take home whatever biscuits I wanted. It's a miracle I haven't ended up as porky as Kashashy.
    Lub a club (lub a club)
    Lub a club (lub a club)
    Lub a club (lub a club)
    everyone lubs a club,

They're thick and creamy and chocolatey (lub a lub a lub a lub a, lub lub)
    Have you ever seen such variety (lub a lub a lub a lub a, lub lub)
    etc etc

I loved a Penguin, bit I really loved a Club (milk, followed by raisin, closely followed by mint and orange).
  • Options
    There was a time when a whole packet of Maryland cookies could disappear with a single cup of tea.  I would also 'experiment' with ginger thins. Placed back to back and dunked for a millisecond, (even though there was a 50 percent chance of collapse).  I had developed a habit, trying any biscuit that was put in front of me.  Biscuit assortment tins would come and go, to put it bluntly I was out of control.

... Nowadays, following a period of cold turkey, there is only one biscuit that makes it past my front door.  Rich Tea the methadone of biscuits.  I've learnt to love Rich Tea.  Rich Tea has given me my life back ... well Rich Tea and Thomas Sangaard of course.  :)  
  • Options
    Anyone else put butter on their Rich Tea ? 
  • Options
    A shout out for Kimberley biscuits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These babies get me going 
  • Options
    I have literally never eaten so many biscuits nor drank as much tea as I have in the past 6 months.

Still love a custard cream or bourbon (dunked in tea) but will pretty much eat any biscuit
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    These babies get me going 
    They are a lot smaller than they used to be.
    Same thing with Wagon Wheels, this is bigger than both of us.
  • Options
    Great thread!

3 packets of biscuits ordered!
  • Options

Lub a club (lub a club)
    Lub a club (lub a club)
    Lub a club (lub a club)
    everyone lubs a club,

They're thick and creamy and chocolatey (lub a lub a lub a lub a, lub lub)
    Have you ever seen such variety (lub a lub a lub a lub a, lub lub)
    etc etc

I loved a Penguin, bit I really loved a Club (milk, followed by raisin, closely followed by mint and orange).
    If you’re having a Club it’s the orange one for me...... if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our Club.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    With clubs, the biscuit was never quite in the middle. You'd get a side where the chocolate was thin and on the other side it was thick. Few food pleasures as great as biting the chocolate off the thick side before eating the rest of the biscuit. Fruit (ie currant) for me.
  • Options
    Anyone else put butter on their Rich Tea ? 
    Oop north, they ‘ad ‘em wit bootter AND cheese.
  • Options
    Another McVities one that disappeared I think: Fruit Shortcake. 
  • Options
    Another McVities one that disappeared I think: Fruit Shortcake. 

Still readily available.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm disgusted, 

Chocolate digestives over custard creams, bourbons, rich tea and as for Jaffa Cakes even being in the list - WTF!

bobmunro said:
    I loved Lincoln biscuits - whatever happened to them?
    Me too, my Nan used to have this big round biscuit tin, always a selection of various biscuits but always lincolns.

Mcvitiy stopped production about 10 or so years ago....... but, and @bobmunro you'd better sit down for this'

https://www.avonvalefoods.com/product/jacobs-lincoln-biscuits/

I'm ordering as we speak!

At those delivery prices a bulk purchase is required!!