Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm all Charlton-ed out ! Lets talk biscuits

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    What's the general opinion of those thin malty brown biscuits, with a waist of sorts, that you get in it's personal wrapper sometimes when you get a coffee eating out?
    I love them Lotus Biscoff or any of them Italian biscotti with coffee.
    I used to like them Hovis biscuits shaped like a loaf of bread. Dont think you can get them anymore though 

Oooh, yes you can ! Buy mine from Sainsbury's.

Every lunchtime we're at home, I have water biscuits and Hovis digestives with a thick layer of Philly on top.

Yum !
    Ah I didn't know that thanks. I will check them out.
    I'm not a browser in a supermarket I know what I want and I'm in and I'm out. Won't be sucked in by their marketing ploys😀. It always bites me in the arse though as I miss out on a lot.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    What's the general opinion of those thin malty brown biscuits, with a waist of sorts, that you get in it's personal wrapper sometimes when you get a coffee eating out?
    I love them Lotus Biscoff or any of them Italian biscotti with coffee.
    I used to like them Hovis biscuits shaped like a loaf of bread. Dont think you can get them anymore though 

sorry to go off thread, but whilst we're on the subject of Biscoff, a true joy neat off the spoon...

Lotus Biscuit Spread Smooth 400G

There is an ice cream tub as well but I won't pay £3.50 for a small tub...
  • Options
    @StigThundercock

Ah. United. Thank you for reminding me. An expensive new product (they call them innovations nowadays) disaster. 

So biscuits are sweet or savoury. Krackawheat was a big new product success for a few years, then it too died. It was supposed to be a more healthy alternative to Cream Crackers, but there was very little healthy about it of course. I think there was an annual national competition to see who could eat the most plain Cream Crackers in a sitting . I found it hard to get through one.

When it came to biscuits for cheese we also had Butter Puffs, and Carrs Table Water if you wanted to be really snooty.
    Then for sort of snacky events we had Tuc but that was a Dutch recipe under licence. And of course we had those moreish bastards, Crawfords Cheddars. 

How many other countries can match the UK for this variety of great biscuits, going back over the years ? And to be fair, you have to give the Scots a lot of credit. UB had a very Scottish heritage, and the Scots consumed biscuits like the world was going to end. And if you as a brand manager didn't gain the respect of the Scottish sales force, your world was at an end..
  • Options
    ...and what a part biscuit sales have played in the UK obesity crisis.
    Hurrah!
  • Options
    Sorry Prague , you’ve probably mentioned it elsewhere but where does your knowledge of all things biscuit come from ?? 
  • Options
    Actual photograph of @PragueAddick

• Options
    Have Malted Milk had a mention yet?
  • Options
    I have been forever tainted by Prague's earlier idle boast. 

His user name may not actually say it, but all I see now is 'Prague (He knows his biscuits)'.

Not all bad I s'pose :smile:  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been forever tainted by Prague's earlier idle boast. 

His user name may not actually say it, but all I see now is 'Prague (He knows his biscuits)'.

Not all bad I s'pose :smile:  

Heard he’s a nice bloke.
  • Options
    Sorry Prague , you’ve probably mentioned it elsewhere but where does your knowledge of all things biscuit come from ?? 
    He's crackers
  • Options
    United Biscuits was my “mother company”. Sponsored me on my biz studies degree and then after one year on the road in the sales force, I started in their marketing dept. We are talking the 70s here; but it was a great company in many ways and its my biggest career regret that I didnt do 2-3 more years at least with them. When I told him I was thinking of leaving, my boss said, “you won’t realise what a good company this is, until you leave it”. Too bloody true. So please excuse my over-enthusiasm and biscuit geekiness, all, its just reawakening some very fond memories.
  • Options
    Milk chocolate Malted milk (from the fridge with then single dunk and then pop the whole biscuit in your mouth and enjoy)
  • Options
    Saw someone mention Lemon Puffs earlier ..... had a pack of them the other day think I either got them out of Morrisons or Iceland and I know Iceland do the Pink wafer things as well
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    ...and what a part biscuit sales have played in the UK obesity crisis.
    Hurrah!
    No question, eating a lot are not good for you. I hardly eat any nowadays. But I treat this as a fond reminiscence thread, and since I guess I may be some 20 years older than you, here are some more, to provide some context about the society in my "biscuit days":

- if in 1979 you'd asked each of my brilliant, serious, highly educated colleagues what their chloresterol level was, none of them would even have known what you were talking about
    - several of them would at least on a Friday for lunch pop down to a pub in Isleworth where there was a stripper, drink 3-4 pints, drive back, and then do a bit more work. This was considered a bit "raffish" by the others but the attitude was, if he delivers, then whatever...
    - Those who had family quite likely had a Full English or something close for breakfast most days. Certainly in my riotous houseshare it was standard on Sats and Sundays. Often at "lunchtime" after a heavy night.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I used to get a packet of “happy shopper” custard creams or bourbons for 22p on the way home from school and a can of coke and sneak them indoors and go devour them in my bedroom most days after school for a while (early eighties)
    No wonder I’ve got shit teeth and a gut .
    our house a joke for biscuits there’s currently 
    Oreo double cream biscuits 
    2 variety’s of chocolate chip cookie one of which is Maryland 
    mcvities milk chocolate digestives 
    rich tea 
    Jaffa cakes 

plus a load of chocolate guff , I’ve put a stone on during lockdown constant grazing and going in the fridge (I’ve worked from home the last 15 years) but with the kids being about I have fomo  on the biscuits so constantly eating shit and spending the other half of the day on the khazi .... wibble wibble 
  • Options
    Props to @RedArmySE7 for flying the Choco Leibniz flag for the last ten years. He is of course correct, it’s the current King of the Biscuit and I’m convinced is only not a a nationwide bestseller as most luddites see its name and think I’m not eating that foreign muck 

Interesting I started this 14 years ago waxing lyrical about Viennese Whirls. Can’t remember having one in the last ten years. 

• Options
    I tend to judge the quality of a hotel by the size of the towels and the quality of biscuits on the teatray. Lotus biscuits bad, Borders biscuits excellent.
  • Options
    Props to @RedArmySE7 for flying the Choco Leibniz flag for the last ten years. He is of course correct, it’s the current King of the Biscuit and I’m convinced is only not a a nationwide bestseller as most luddites see its name and think I’m not eating that foreign muck 

Interesting I started this 14 years ago waxing lyrical about Viennese Whirls. Can’t remember having one in the last ten years. 

I must admit to only very occasionally having had these, and not for many years.
    I need to reacquaint myself with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Choco Leibniz? Bahlsen??? That isnt just foreign muck, its German foreign muck. Chrisssake, take back control of your biscuits, stick a 100% tariff on the feckers.

;) 
  • Options
    A shout out for Kimberley biscuits.
    I should have them!
  • Options
    this this is a cruel thread. Tomorrow start quitting added sugar to raise cash for Altzheimers. 
  • Options
    Borders are good, I like the dark chocolate gingers (I'm old apparently as dark choc over milk every time!) and butterscotch crunch. They also do a nice selection pack in the supermarket.

Choco Leibnez are great. They have a Baileys flavour out at the moment for Christmas that are delicious. 

I currently have viennese whirls in the biscuit tin and mini biscotti from the poundshop, which seems to be the only place I can find them. 
  • Options
    Chico Leibnez are good for going around the perimeter nibbling off the overlapping pure chocolate before doing the rest in two bites...sometimes one.
    A version of this eating method can be applied to a Bounty.
  • Options

Definitely a technique required to eat these getting all the chocolate off like Seth says.
    Leaving you with a square like rich tea finger biscuit
  • Options
    Just found these lovely sick biscuits , Mrs already got a head start on them so I’ve eaten 4 so as to leave a few but if I go too deep in to the packet she’ll have a go at me oooerrrr . Got to judge how many you can have without gong in to the zone where she gets the hump 
  • Options
    From the sadly defunct website, still crammed with biscuit reviews, came this enjoyable read

• Options
    Where do fig rolls fit in?
  • Options

It must feel strange reading comments you made 14yrs ago. Bit like a diary this site