Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm all Charlton-ed out ! Lets talk biscuits

Comments

• Options
    I'm not surprised to see Maryland Coookies as a favourite. It was made by Nabisco in my day. Nabisco were a small player on the UK market, couldn't get it on enough shelves; but I always thought that if it was ours, with our retail muscle,  it would do well. Those chunks of chocolate were a lovely deadly hit.  Ahead of its time in the 70s. 
  • Options
    Chocolate digestives can't be beaten. The biggest question is Dark or milk chocolate!
  • Options
    Chocolate digestives can't be beaten. The biggest question is Dark or milk chocolate!

MILK!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm not surprised to see Maryland Coookies as a favourite. It was made by Nabisco in my day. Nabisco were a small player on the UK market, couldn't get it on enough shelves; but I always thought that if it was ours, with our retail muscle,  it would do well. Those chunks of chocolate were a lovely deadly hit.  Ahead of its time in the 70s. 
    Seem to recall them sponsoring football related stuff in the late 70's early 80s (England youth internationals??)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

MILK!!!!!
    Without question MILK ............. only old people/grown ups like Prague like dark chocolate (filth)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

MILK!!!!!
    Without question MILK ............. only old people/grown ups like Prague like dark chocolate (filth)
    Okay so let me tell you about the real filth. Victoria Assortment. Basically, an assortment of luxury chocolate biscuits, of which many were not sold separately. This was basically a Christmas line. When I tell you that bourbons were in there, as were Gipsy Creams, but they looked like the poor relations in that box, that is the level of fully enrobed dark chocolate filth we are talking about here....
  • Options
    Anyone else put butter on their Rich Tea ? 
    I have been known to do that, morts.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @SporadicAddick can't say I recall that Nabisco sponsorship, but maybe I didn't notice. Nabisco didn't bother us. They basically had two lines, Maryland, and Ritz crackers. 

But speaking of the opposition, Associated Biscuits (the Jacobs lot) had one biscuit we did not have and which I always liked : Huntley& Palmers Lemon Puffs. Crispy flaky pastry sandwiching a lemon filling...

In case anyone's interested the brand line-ups in those days were:

UB: (40% share of market): McVitie's, Crawfords, MacDonalds, Carr's. Also KP, a completely separate division and market.
    AB: (20% share) Peek Freans, Jacobs, H&P
    and then there were Burtons (mainly junk), Fox's.That was about it, I think.

and then there was retail own label, the fox that UB let into the  coop, with disastrous long-term results.
  • Options
    @SporadicAddick can't say I recall that Nabisco sponsorship, but maybe I didn't notice. Nabisco didn't bother us. They basically had two lines, Maryland, and Ritz crackers. 

But speaking of the opposition, Associated Biscuits (the Jacobs lot) had one biscuit we did not have and which I always liked : Huntley& Palmers Lemon Puffs. Crispy flaky pastry sandwiching a lemon filling...

In case anyone's interested the brand line-ups in those days were:

UB: (40% share of market): McVitie's, Crawfords, Carr's. Also KP, a completely separate division)
    AB: (20% share) Jacobs, H&P
    and then there were Burtons (mainly junk), Fox's.That was about it, I think.

and then there was retail own label, the fox that UB let into the  coop, with disastrous long-term results.
    Lemon Puffs - now you’re talking.

Useless as a dunker though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oreos I used to  consider nasty, but I like the Oreo Goldens.
    For controversy where do Pink Wafers fit in? Clearly not dunkers, and it seems to me of late that the creamy gunk in Pink Wafers  has got less leaving them too dry.
    But the central question is are Pink Wafers biscuits? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Oreos I used to  consider nasty, but I like the Oreo Goldens.
    For controversy where do Pink Wafers fit in? Clearly not dunkers, and it seems to me of late that the creamy gunk in Pink Wafers  has got less leaving them too dry.
    But the central question is are Pink Wafers biscuits? 
    Definitely. And the good news is, they are environmentally friendly.

By this I mean that the wafer is made from the waste on the production line of the more expensive biscuits.

You're welcome!
  • Options
    I thought this thread was about a Spanish international midfielder. So disappointed!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Used to like the smell from Peak Freans ?? biscuit factory as you approached London Bridge going in to town as a youngster .
    I forgot about them. They were Associated too, I'll have to amend the list. 

Mind you that smell was as nothing to what you'd get from the McVities factory at Harlesden because that was where choccie biscuits were made. Almost made up for the horror of having to go to Harlesden in the late 70s. I honestly never knew such a shithole existed in London.
  • Options
    Viennese Whirls 12

My favourites, but a biscuit? 
  • Options
    Viennese Whirls 12

My favourites, but a biscuit? 

Definitely a biscuit.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

MILK!!!!!
    Put me in the Prague camp then, add @Redmidland too although his biscuits have to be soaked in milk for him these days not unlike new borns with a Farleys rusk! 😉
  • Options

• Options
    What's the general opinion of those thin malty brown biscuits, with a waist of sorts, that you get in it's personal wrapper sometimes when you get a coffee eating out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Custard creams are the king of biscuits.

Plain chocolate is wrong on any biscuit.
  • Options
               GINGER NUTS !  ( McVitie's ) of course.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    What's the general opinion of those thin malty brown biscuits, with a waist of sorts, that you get in it's personal wrapper sometimes when you get a coffee eating out?

I dislike them intensely - but still always eat them! (and my wife's).
  • Options
    In ascending order:
    Milk chocolate digestive
    Ditto hobnob
    Ditto Leibnitz
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Ditto hobnob
    Ditto Leibnitz

And the king of biscuits, the Bourbon. 
  • Options
    Oreos should not feature on any list of good biscuits.
    Once upon a time I woulda agreed with you - ghastly yank abomination
    Some radical colleague recently anonymously put a pack of Oreos in the company biscuit tin
    A revelation! Crisp, tasty, a most agreeable biscuit - doesn't hold up well dunked in tea, which marks it down.
    I reckon they only look like the septic original, I reckon the British manufacturer has upgraded them for our superior palettes.

Butter on a Rich Tea? - maybe, but I am yet to eat a biscuit that isn't improved by a generous dollop of unsweetened crunchy peanut butter

Biscuits generally are great so long as they're not soft, squidgy in the style of numpty american "cookies" yuk
    "maryland cookie"  just marketing bullshit for the enthusiastically gullible - it's a chocolate chip cookie - anything other than milk chocolate and nutty bits in a crisp biscuit is more foolishness for effwits
    Jaffa Cakes's so called cakiness is a blatant tax dodge - we all know they're a biscuit.  The other thing forgotten about the whole phoney VAT case is that chocolate coating on a biscuit has to be actual chocolate - like on a kitkat or twix - for the biscuit to be standard rated for VAT, if it's just chocolate flavoured coating - remember the United biscuit? - that's a zero-rated for VAT biscuit cos it's food not confectionary - yeah all bollocks but HMRC lost the case to the financial might of McVities 
  • Options
    Who can forget Honey creams?
    Apart from my Grandad, who forgets most things 

• Options
    Used to like the smell from Peak Freans ?? biscuit factory as you approached London Bridge going in to town as a youngster .
    My mum worked at Peak Freans for a time and used to come home every Friday with a bag full of broken biscuits. We kids would dive in first for the chocolate half of the broken bourbons and give the garibaldis to the dog.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I love them Lotus Biscoff or any of them Italian biscotti with coffee.
    I used to like them Hovis biscuits shaped like a loaf of bread. Dont think you can get them anymore though 

• Options
    I have been known to do that, morts.
    Digestives yes. 
    Rich tea no. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I love them Lotus Biscoff or any of them Italian biscotti with coffee.
    I used to like them Hovis biscuits shaped like a loaf of bread. Dont think you can get them anymore though 

Oooh, yes you can ! Buy mine from Sainsbury's.

Every lunchtime we're at home, I have water biscuits and Hovis digestives with a thick layer of Philly on top.

Yum !