Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henry Cooper a Charlton fan !

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]he is from bellingham
    That explains why he was so hard! I doubt anyone from Downham has ever had a world title shot.
  • Options
    nolly, your the man to ask. did cooper get on top of ali, and ali's corner intentionally split his glove to allow him to recover when cooper looked like beating him?
  • Options
    a minute ago you were saying he would get battered by bellingham boys.
  • Options
    not really gary,think they found out in 2003 that the glove split added only five seconds anyway,though i think looking at video cooper was boxing a dream and out jabbing him.
  • Options
    oh right. always thought less of ali as i thought thats what happened. a few american mates hate him cos he was a draft dodger, but thats a completely different matter.
  • Options
    not my cup of tea,found the baiting of fellow boxers tasteless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]a minute ago you were saying he would get battered by bellingham boys.
    Was misinformed. I did think it was very strange that someone of his calibre was from Downham.
  • Options
    lol,boxed for eltham my club,hardly going to box for atheleney or whatever club there was there,elthams son
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]well you no now.[/quote]

Well how do you know that nolly...I've lived close by to Henery's roots all my life just about...met him two or the times too.
    He was at school with my brother Dave...his twin brother Jim was a bit of a bully by all accounts but that's no reflection on Henry of course.
    His wife is Italian...no doubt a catholic....though I've never heard that Henry was 'particularly' religious in any way shape or form.
    He may well be religious (as many people are to some extent or another) but what makes you say 'very' religious?
  • Options
    he became a catholic later on in life and became very religious,my old man mentioned it to me a year odd back,not going to tell me that with no grounding .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a royalist as well.
  • Options
    Well maybe.................like I say, it's news to me.
  • Options
    no maybe .
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]a royalist as well.[/quote]

Yes, I could well believe that....I remember how proud he was when he went to Buckingham Palace to get his knighthood.
    He lost a lot of money in the Lloyds crash some years back............... he was an underwriter.
  • Options
    indeed.
  • Options
    Not a joke. I work with him and actually snuck Red Red Robin into the pre-show music before gigs... No joke!
  • Options
    Nice one fantastic!!
  • Options
    Alson Gemma Arterton is a charlton fan... the official twitter page told us this morning and she admits on this video.

Although i've just searched her name on here and Carter will know more than me...

cheap tickets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Arterton
    Wiki says 'Arterton is known for her role as the titular character on the BBC adaptation of Tess of the D'Urbervilles....'
    Gemma-Arterton3.jpg
    I say she titular alright...
  • Options
    Henrys dad worked at Deptford Power station, cant say i knew him. Cant ever remember Henry really mentioning his Dad, although he often mentions his Mum. Henrys brother use to live in Welling and had a painting and decorating business.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well how do you know that nolly...I've lived close by to Henery's roots all my life just about...met him two or the times too.
    He was at school with my brother Dave...his twin brother Jim was a bit of a bully by all accounts but that's no reflection on Henry of course.
    His wife is Italian...no doubt a catholic....though I've never heard that Henry was 'particularly' religious in any way shape or form.
    He may well be religious (as many people are to some extent or another) but what makes you say 'very' religious?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Henry Cooper's twin brother was George Cooper, not Jim! His manager was Jim Wicks, AKA The Bishop.

Nolly is correct, Henry Cooper became a Catholic after marrying his Italian wife and did actually become quite religious. He used to come and open the School Fete's most years at our RC school and was very good friends with the Priest there.

Saw him on TV recently meeting Joe Bugner for an Aussie TV show, even after all these years you can tell he still does not like Bugner after that loss in 1971.
  • Options
    never seen the fight but my dad reckons bugner nicked it,either way great man and a great fighter .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Well how do you know that nolly...I've lived close by to Henery's roots all my life just about...met him two or the times too.

Henry Cooper's twin brother was George Cooper, not Jim! His manager was Jim Wicks, AKA The Bishop.

Nolly is correct, Henry Cooper became a Catholic after marrying his Italian wife and did actually become quite religious. He used to come and open the School Fete's most years at our RC school and was very good friends with the Priest there.

Saw him on TV recently meeting Joe Bugner for an Aussie TV show, even after all these years you can tell he still does not like Bugner after that loss in 1971.

Henry's twin was called George Cooper but he boxed under the name of Jim as there was a George Cooper already in boxing when he and Henry started out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Well how do you know that nolly...I've lived close by to Henery's roots all my life just about...met him two or the times too.

Henry's twin was called George Cooper but he boxed under the name of Jim as there was a George Cooper already in boxing when he and Henry started out.

Well, Len, I must admit that you have educated me there, I never knew that!
  • Options
    Interesting factoid about celebrity Addick Jeff Brazier (Jade Goody's ex) - his father was the skipper of the Marchioness!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Interesting factoid about celebrity Addick Jeff Brazier (Jade Goody's ex) - his father was the skipper of the Marchioness!
    I bet that fact goes down well at parties...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Interesting factoid about celebrity Addick Jeff Brazier (Jade Goody's ex) - his father was the skipper of the Marchioness!
    SINK...!!!