Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Options
    The song Hotel California.  Drives me up the wall, just seems to go on and on, feels like im being tortured

I thought I knew California pretty well but I've never heard of the Song Hotel.

Do you have to walk a long way from reception to the rooms?

• Options
    The song Hotel California.  Drives me up the wall, just seems to go on and on, feels like im being tortured

I think it may help you to appreciate this wonderful track by getting inside the musicians minds. These are deep meaningful views, not just pretentious rubbish (ahem).  Of course once you have digested this, we can talk at length about the guitar solos.

Don Henley said: It was really about the excesses of American culture and certain girls they knew. But it was also about the uneasy balance between art and commerce."Henley also said "It's a song about the dark underbelly of the American Dream, and about excess in America which was something they all, knew about." He later offered  "It's a song about a journey from innocence to experience."

Meanwhile Don Felder explains: As you're driving in Los Angeles at night, you can see the glow of the energy and the lights of Hollywood and Los Angeles for 100 miles out in the desert. And on the horizon, as you're driving in, all of these images start coming into your mind of the propaganda and advertisement you've experienced about California. In other words, the movie stars, the stars on Hollywood Boulevard, the beaches, bikinis, palm trees, all those images that you see and that people think of when they think of California start running through your mind. That's all you know of California."

Glenn Frey compared this song to an episode of The Twilight Zone, where it jumps from one scene to the next and doesn't necessarily make sense. He said the success of the song comes from the audience creating stories in their minds based on the images.

Hope this helps @snowinberlin :)

• Options
    You really dont like your new desk do you Stig?
  • Options
    The media debating over whether Solskjaer should get the United manager job ‘full time’. He already has it full time. The issue is whether he should become permanent manager or not.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My new desk in the corner of our office right next to the meeting room. Specifically the number of people who wander out of there and make a bee line for the first desk they see (mine), thinking that it's some sort of concierge sitting there. No, I don't know where the nearest colour printer is. No, I don't have a stapler. And No, I won't come in and fix the heating for you.  And here's a thing, when I'm sitting there with headphones on and there's moving pictures of other people on my screen, that means I'm in a meeting of my own.  A Skype meeting. Now, I don't wander into your meeting room asking for change for the parking meter, so kindly keep well out of mine.  If you want some help, try the kitchen there's always a herd of people in there with fuck all to do!    
    https://eu.embrava.com/collections/blynclight-series
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being unable to find the drunk thread when required.
  • Options
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Stig said:
    My new desk in the corner of our office right next to the meeting room. Specifically the number of people who wander out of there and make a bee line for the first desk they see (mine), thinking that it's some sort of concierge sitting there. No, I don't know where the nearest colour printer is. No, I don't have a stapler. And No, I won't come in and fix the heating for you.  And here's a thing, when I'm sitting there with headphones on and there's moving pictures of other people on my screen, that means I'm in a meeting of my own.  A Skype meeting. Now, I don't wander into your meeting room asking for change for the parking meter, so kindly keep well out of mine.  If you want some help, try the kitchen there's always a herd of people in there with fuck all to do!    
    https://eu.embrava.com/collections/blynclight-series
    I think this is the one for me:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Allowing myself to get 16 pages behind on the Takeover thread. Somehow I've got to wade through reams of shit just to retain my honour as someone who's read every post on there and I just know there's not going to be a happy ending.
    Finally catching up with the backlog and all the subsequent posts, just to have confirmed what I knew already, there's no happy ending.

The only thinks of interest (Graffiti, TalkSport, Jordan, Fans Forum...) were all well covered by other threads.  I say the Takeover thread is not fit for purpose. We should sell it to the EFL. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The HSBC TV adverts.

The most recent one advocates how we live such an international life whilst being an island on a lump of land in the middle of the sea.

Couldn't be more EU-Remain propaganda if they tried and frankly no place for it in a TV advert IMO. Previous adverts of theirs have done this too so not a one off either.
  • Options
    The bloke on the Betway ad that throws javelins into a dartboard is beginning to annoy.
  • Options
    The HSBC TV adverts.

The most recent one advocates how we live such an international life whilst being an island on a lump of land in the middle of the sea.

Couldn't be more EU-Remain propaganda if they tried and frankly no place for it in a TV advert IMO. Previous adverts of theirs have done this too so not a one off either.
    I'd just like to add that HSBC are BY FAR the worst commercial bank i have ever had the misfortune to deal with, which is a number of times, not just one unfortunate event. Everything about them is utter shite.

• Options
    Gotten.
    Shut up ffs.
    Got is all you need.
  • Options
    When you have to reinstall Chrome and it sets your spellcheck to English(US). Thought I was going mad when typing "favourite" for example and it being underlined red! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gotten.
    Shut up ffs.
    Got is all you need.
    Gotten serves a very useful purpose to distinguish between dynamic and static situations. Its use was once the common form of expression in England before the lazier and less illustrative got took hold. Our language is all the more descriptive and interesting with it. Please don't try to restrict that.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Gotten.
    Shut up ffs.
    Got is all you need.
    Gotten serves a very useful purpose to distinguish between dynamic and static situations. Its use was once the common form of expression in England before the lazier and less illustrative got took hold. Our language is all the more descriptive and interesting with it. Please don't try to restrict that.
    I suspect that people who use gotten aren't trying to make the language more descriptive  and interesting , they just watch too much American TV.
    I've just got sick of hearing it  ;)
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Gotten.
    Shut up ffs.
    Got is all you need.
    I suspect that people who use gotten aren't trying to make the language more descriptive  and interesting , they just watch too much American TV.
    Just got is a contradiction in terms. If you'd just gotten sick of hearing it I know that this was a new phenomenon. If you'd got sick of hearing it, I could safely assume that you've felt like this for some time. But just got, I don't know what to believe ;)

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Gotten.
    Shut up ffs.
    Got is all you need.
    Just got is a contradiction in terms. If you'd just gotten sick of hearing it I know that this was a new phenomenon. If you'd got sick of hearing it, I could safely assume that you've felt like this for some time. But just got, I don't know what to believe ;)

Aah. Got it.  ;)
  • Options
    Commentators apologising for swear words heard in the crowds chants during the Sheffield derby tonight.

1. It’s football
    2. It’s a derby. They select these games for coverage due to the supposed passion and intensity.
    3. It’s past the watershed anyway ffs! You don’t get apologies before/during/after other programmes.
  • Options
    Commentators apologising for swear words heard in the crowds chants during the Sheffield derby tonight.

1. It’s football
    2. It’s a derby. They select these games for coverage due to the supposed passion and intensity.
    3. It’s past the watershed anyway ffs! You don’t get apologies before/during/after other programmes.
    Boxing even worse in that respect. 
  • Options

1. It’s football
    Its a regulator requirement.....or so I heard explained on R5Live the other week. If profound or swear words are heard live on air then an apology must be swiftly given. 
  • Options

1. It’s football
    Its a regulator requirement.....or so I heard explained on R5Live the other week. If profound or swear words are heard live on air then an apology must be swiftly given. 
    That's exactly what it is, it still strikes me as weird when watching a particularly brutal fight that commentators are apologising for people's language yet revel in the amount of blood or facial disfigurement there is on show 

I do understand where the football is concerned. That said, I was always told what I heard and said at football stays at football unless I didn't want to go again. Although for the last decade that would mean a lot of kids telling their mums to fuck off so they were not dragged along to Charlton!
  • Options
    Over pronunciation of the letter H in words like Vehicle and Adhesive