Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curbs has resigned

Comments

• It was just an observation, not giving the great man stick. There's no harm in finding the humour in situations, I think you have to when you support Charlton...
  • I'm going to put money on next his club being palace.
  • [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I'm going to put money on next his club being palace.

No, dont temp fate
  • Surely he would'nt work for the orange one. Any way good luck Curbs (except if you play us).
  • Just wait till Dowie gets the tin tack
  • The way QPR are at the moment I could see Dowie going and Curbs going there at Christmas
  • [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I'm going to put money on next his club being palace.

Head says- Cant see it- one thing Curbs know is that a decent chairman is a must in his next club.

Heart says- Please no!
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]The unrealistic attitude of the spammers means that Curbs is well out of that viper's nest.

Why are people here giving stick to, arguably, our greatest ever manager?

Some people really are ungrateful dickheads.

All the best Curbs.

Out of the many many posts on this forum, i haven't agreed with a post as much as this.....
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Good luck to him. Fans expectation levels are too high in football now three years ago they were in the championship now they are forth in the league,ok his style
    of play can be boaring but if West Ham fans want attractive football dont expect to stay up

To be fair to the hammers fans, when your paying the 3rd most expesive season ticket prices in europe, I think you have a right to have high demands. Whether it's fair on Curbs is besides the point.
  • the two worst jobs in football or poisoned chalices they will become.

West Ham - fans ridiculous demands for a club with no bloody history of winning anything like most other clubs and always harping on about "the academy" makes this job a nightmare.

Newcastle - as above, apart from the academy, but any manager going in has to put up with shearer and keegan shadows hanging over the club
  • amen ledge, amen to that
  • Sponsored links:

• Ledge,

As I just said, when your being charged the 3RD MOST EXPENSIVE SEASON TICKETS IN EUROPE, you have a right to demand what you want as far as im concerned.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]Ledge,

As I just said, when your being charged the 3RD MOST EXPENSIVE SEASON TICKETS IN EUROPE, you have a right to demand what you want as far as im concerned.

Makes their fans even bigger mugs than I already thought that they were
  • Just want to echo what Bigstemarra said.

As much as i've tried looking at things the other way, to me Curbs is, and always will be a legend.

And one that i will always be grateful to.

Good luck Curbs
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Just want to echo what Bigstemarra said.

As much as i've tried looking at things the other way, to me Curbs is, and always will be a legend.

And one that i will always be grateful to.

Good luck Curbs

Amen to that
  • I third that, lil fella.
  • Praps curbs will go back into t.v. work.
  • Curbs' is a strange one for me. I really really hate the fact that to people outside of Charlton he walked away smelling of roses after leaving us with the squad he did. Everyone just see's...Curb's leaves = Charlton relegated. I didn't see it that way.

However before he left Curbs' was all I'd known as manager and I loved him. What he did for us was nothing short of miraculous and I respect him fully. I think he's had a raw deal at West Ham, what really did they expect anyone else could have done better? They're mental the lot of them, another case of thinking you're something you're not.

Good Luck with whatever you do now Curbs'.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Curbs' is a strange one for me. I really really hate the fact that to people outside of Charlton he walked away smelling of roses after leaving us with the squad he did. Everyone just see's...Curb's leaves = Charlton relegated. I didn't see it that way.

Totally agreed mate - plus to many CAFC fans, too. The fact that we had a reasonbable squad of players that wanted to attack and win (Murphy (when he first arrived at least), Smertin, Rommedahl (*cowers*), and Bent), but Curbs had completely lost interest, and seemed to fall out with most of them. The football was without a doubt the most excruciating rubbish to watch out of ALL premiership teams, and he just played completely safe presumably with the Hammers job in mind. 'Praps' this was delusions of Grandeur due to the FA chatting to him re England). I hold him partly responsible for our relegation in terms of the squad and the lack of motivation and enthusiasm he left CAFC with.

Add to this the MANY snide/derogatory comments he made towards CAFC especially when he became Wet Sham boss, and I am personally glad that he has been 'found out' in a way.

*However*, he in my mind is still a Charlton legend for all the work he did before he seemed to lose interest (coincidentally after Judas left for the Chelsea bench).

He always rightly harped on about that first squad with Gritty (Leaburn, Nels etc etc), and appreciated people who worked hard for the shirt and had a good worth ethic. But suddenly crud like M Bent and Jeffers seeped in which I thought odd. Even odder him being involved with the likes of some of the bunch at WH (Bellamy for instance)!

I would like him to say a few nice words about CAFC in the near OR distant future.
  • curbs was always trying to take us to the next exciting level .
    so he had to take gambles on players some came off some didn't but unfortunately the free flowing exciting football that we all craved never could arrive and it all ended up being played at arsenal
    what were his MANY snide/derogatory remarks about charlton ???

west ham have better away support is the truth tho
  • West Ham will not be able to compete with the big boys as they just dont have the money, they should have kept Curbs and at least be happy with a top 11 finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw the Sky interview with Curbs and I thought, "good on him". He's done the right thing, Wham have always had an over inflated idea about themselves and after what he's been through since joining them he deserved more support from the board.

Here's looking forward to the Hammers seemingly endless years of whining meaninglessness! To the middle of the table!
  • To those who say boring Curbs, just watch the video of Charlton 4 Chelsea 2 boxing day 4 years back - we all know it was downhill from there - but lets hope this is the first of many events to help us close the gap again
  • Curbs IS a Charlton legend - and quite possibly our Prem 'glory years' would never have happened without him.

You only had to be at the Wembley playoff final to realise, for example, how he helped change not only the course of Charlton history but contributed to the increased standing in the game in which the club is/was perceived in recent years.

But let's be realistic. That last year or so, things were on the slide, the team survived only by playing a sterile game that stopped opponents playing football, players were alienated ...... and worst of all, a 'has-been' team was left to decline.

He stayed 2 years too long. He lost interest. The man was burned out and stale - and it was time for him to move on. You don't have to be a dickhead to realise that.

But in any case, 15 years as manager, added to those as a player, deserve recognition and appreciation.
    Thank you, Curbs.
  • Curbs was the best manager we have had in the modern era backed by a progressive Board led by Richard Murray and a CEO of Peter Varney. They were an excellent combination, the like of which possibly we may not see again ever or at least for many years.

Curbs did perhaps stay too long, and maybe the squad was thinner than he would have liked. Let's not forget that during his time we lost Rufus, Sir Clive, Andy Hunt, Pringle, to premature career ending injuries/illnesses. Add to that the failure of perhaps his most audacious signing - Rommedahl to make any kind of meaningful impact, the loss of DiCanio after only one season, and the toys jettisoned by the Scouse Tosser half way through a campaign all made his time much more difficult than perhaps it should have been. That said I believe had he stayed, and with a reasonable amount of money in the kitty, he would have kept us up.

People talk about the dire negative performances but forget that we regularly beat Liverpool, Chelsea, and occasionally Arsenal. That in his final season, we had a really great start to the season which was thrown out because the likes of Murphy didn't get their International call ups or places in World Cup teams like Smertin and their form dipped alarmingly.

We've done all this to death so many times in the last couple of years. For me today I feel angry for him, that he has been shafted by a bunch of Bankers and a CEO who it appears has a very economical relationship with the truth, if the Tevez affair is anything to go by. I wish him the very best, hope he comes down to the Valley and takes his place as an honoured guest. I also hope he's not long out of the game because he has much to offer at the top level.
  • Well said Bing.
  • I would take Curbs over Pards any day. People on here talk about boring soccer under Curbs but the fact is Chelski under Mourihno were boring and they spent hundreds of millions. Curbs knew what it took to win in the prem and every now and then his teams would produce brilliant results like 4-1 over Chelsea, 4-2 away at Arsenal and 3-0 away at Spurs. Seems a long time ago now. Good luck Curbs.
  • Birmingham 3 Charlton 4
    Charlton 4 Bradford 1
    Charlton 4 Forest 1
    Charlton 4 Forest 2
    Charlton 3 Boro 0
    Charlton 5 West Brom 0
    Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 (7-6 pens)
    Charlton 5 Southampton 0
    Villa 3 Charlton 4
    Coventry 2 Charlton 3
    Charlton 4 Man City 0
    Charlton 3 Man Utd 3
    Man City 1 Charlton 4
    Charlton 3 Villa 3
    Arsenal 2 Charlton 4
    Charlton 4 West Ham 4
    Charlton 4 West Ham 2
    Charlton 3 Liverpool 2
    Charlton 4 Chelsea 2
    Charlton 3 Blackburn 2

There's a list of 20 or so hugely entertaining games I remember from the Curbs era and there are more, including some defeats such as Arsenal 5 Charlton 3 and Charlton 2 Spurs 3. That list alone averages out at over 2 classics a season, not a bad strike rate and there are more games that could go on that list and a couple could be argued as being amoungst the best games English football has ever seen.

All this talk about boring Curbs is bollocks. He did what he had to do in the last couple of seasons. Okay he signed Rommedahl, Jeffers M Bent etc but we ALL thought Rommers was gonna be a star so Curbs wasn't the only one to get that wrong. He didn't want to sell Parker and he wanted to keep Murphy, but clubs like Charlton, unfortunately, cannot realistically hang onto unsettled players just to be bloody minded.

However, for 13 and bit seasons we played good football, at times brilliant football, particularly but not exclusively when we had Parker and Di Canio working in tandem. Yes it got turgid for the last season and a half but, and largely not entirley of his own doing, he lost key players at bad times and his attempts to replace them didn't come off so he adopted a style that would yield results despite our deficiencies, keep us up and hopefully keep the wolf from the door until the right players became available at the right price. Those who criticise him for that and not being more ambitious because they feel we should have been doing better are guilty of the same delusions of grandure we're all now berating the Hamsters for. That heady Parker inspired season was never going to be sustainable. Parker was too good to stay with us for very long, Di Canio was 36, even if he'd stayed another season and the likes of Fish, Perry, Powell, Stuart and Bartlett were at the wrong end of their careers so we were forced into transition and Curbs realised how important it was that we did all we could to maintain Premiership status throughout that transition, hence the substance over style football.

Who knows what might have happened if some of his more ambitious transfers had come off such as Flamini, Kezman and Kuffour rather than being forced into gambles like Jeffers but at the end of the day we were a small fish masqurading as a medium fish in a very big pond and we just weren't attractive enough to those players given the other offers they'd had. So we mended and made do, I won't criticise Curbs for that and I thank him for the wonderful memories his team gave me and for sides that showed the kind of guts, skill and heart that made me a Charlton fan.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I'm going to put money on next his club being palace.

Head says- Cant see it- one thing Curbs know is that a decent chairman is a must in his next club.

Heart says- Please no!
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]The unrealistic attitude of the spammers means that Curbs is well out of that viper's nest.

Why are people here giving stick to, arguably, our greatest ever manager?

Some people really are ungrateful dickheads.

All the best Curbs.

Out of the many many posts on this forum, i haven't agreed with a post as much as this.....

It's not nice see the one you love in the arms of another. Maybe now they have split up it will easier to remember the good times.

Palace under Jordan?: Curbs is not a fool

QPR have a Director of football

Derby Co, if they have the patience, might just be ideal. If not, the England job will come round again soon enough.
  • Henry, Perhaps you could suggest we name The South Stand after him?
  • I can see next at, if anywhere, Ipswich if Magilton doesn't deliver.