Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Murray

Semi finals of US Open and No. 4 in the world.

Do we love him now or does his lack of support for the England football team still make him a pariah?

Comments

• Options
    I hate him. I didnt like his comments about England at all but this was made much worse by his attitude at the Olympics.
  • Options
    will never have my support
  • Options
    I don't like him at all BUT he has played some great tennis at Flushing Meadows.

its got nothing about him being Scottish - he is just an annoying little start up and he drives me mad in everything he does other than playing tennis!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I don't like him at all BUT he has played some great tennis at Flushing Meadows.

its got nothing about him being Scottish - he is just an annoying little start up and he drives me mad in everything he does other than playing tennis!

Bit unfair on small start up businesses. Everyone's got to start somewhere ; - )
  • Options
    The England comments were a storm in a teacup, he was just a kid jesting in an interview with Henman I think.
    But his attitude to The Olympics was terrible.
  • Options
    Missed him at the Olympics. What did he do?
  • Options
    Like him or loathe him, he's British - until the Jocks get independence at least - and he's one helluva player.

More balls in his little finger than Henman had in his whole body.

Can't see him beating Nadal in his current form for all the tea in China but Murray should definitely win a Slam sooner rather than later (US or Australian rather than Wimbledon though)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Missed him at the Olympics. What did he do?

Not a lot...
  • Options

Got drunk at the opening ceremony, used the Olympic torch to burn the flag of St George.
  • Options
    I think his comment regarding England was fair, I would of been more annoyed if he sucked up to us.

Still it's tennis, who cares?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Got drunk at the opening ceremony, used the Olympic torch to burn the flag of St George.

Good enough for Freddie Flintoff.

Apart from that what did he do?
  • Options
    Can't stand him
  • Options
    I see his brother is in the final of the mixed-doubles...
  • Options
    A Scot who hates the English...mmmm toughie this one NOT !
  • Options
    Upset his brother, Henry.

I like him - yes, he still behaves like Kevin the teenager sometimes, but he's showing signs of being a winner, and I also like his sense of history in choosing Fred Perry kit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Upset his brother, Henry.

how so?
  • Options
    He's a typical Hibbee...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Upset his brother, Henry.

how so?

By not taking it seriously, when his brother's lifetime ambition is to win Olympic gold.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks, not a nice thing to do to any partner let alone your own brother.
  • Options
    I like the kid, good attitude, bloody minded, belief in his ability and a soild work ethic. He screwed up at the Olympics but was man enough to admit it and said he'll focus on winning in 2012.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, at the Olympics he got knocked out early by a player from Chinese Taipai who was ranked something like 85th in the world.

As regards his so called "anti english" comments, well I seem to recall this has been debated on here before (haven't got time to seach), and I got shot down for saying that as far as I was aware, the comments were made "tongue in cheek" during an interview with him and Tim Henman and he was trying to wind Henman up.

Sometimes I wonder whether we English, take this anti-English stuff from the Scots at bit too seriously which is maybe why they do it. I wish him well and I'd be delighted if he wins any of the grand slams.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Sometimes I wonder whether we English, take this anti-English stuff from the Scots at bit too seriously which is maybe why they do it. I wish him well and I'd be delighted if he wins any of the grand slams.

Spot on for the most part, bing. The one to watch out for, though, is Alex Salmond - he does mean it. Nasty, devious man.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Agreed, they know the English have a thin skin to it, and the Scots are extermly self confident at the moment which probably scares the English as well
  • Options
    he'll be out next round so don't matter

like henma top 10 in the world and winnign sod all of note.
  • Options
    I hate Wimbledon, Henman, Murray and everything else to do with Tennis.................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

Agreed, they know the English have a thin skin to it, and the Scots are extermly self confident at the moment which probably scares the English as well

Have to say I dis-agree with that having taken a beating at an England v Scotland game at Wembley (Tunnel/England End) for celebrating an England goal, I can vouch for the fact the Scots don't like the English.
  • Options
    it's great for british tennis.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hope he wins it waves that rag of a Scots flag and puts his winnings to help the Scots buy those two Titian paintings. OOOOOOOOOOOOO hold on though those paintings have to be saved for GB lol lol yes of course they do.

yes us English being proud is thin skinned and the Scots being proud is self confident --- what kak
  • Options
    Detest him, he and his PR people can say all they like about it was out of context etc, it was only a joke, his only regret was he got caught saying it IMO, typical Edingburgh Hibeee anti English garbage and should be challenged at every opportunity. Henman woulld have been slaughtered and labelled a racist had he said it about Scotland.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

Have to say I dis-agree with that having taken a beating at an England v Scotland game at Wembley (Tunnel/England End) for celebrating an England goal, I can vouch for the fact the Scots don't like the English.

I know plenty of Scots who love the English and wear England replica shirts and badges etc, seen it in Motherwell & Glasgow on a regular basis.