Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PLAY DICKSON

Comments

• Options
    Just the reaction of Dicko when he scored yesterday said it all, he grabbed the ball and ran back with it - he's hungry for goals, why oh why can't Parky see he is so much more likely to score than Deon 'i can just about flick it on' Burton.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I wonder why we ar so focussed on a striker, it doesn't make much sense considering the state of our defence. Just add up the goals we've conceeded against teams from South Yorkshire alone (Barnsley, and the Sheffields).
    I am focused on a striker because (and perhaps it is simply too obvious to note here) a team can only win three points if it scores. 28 league games played and 29 goals. With a ten-point gulf between the club and safety focusing on the team's defense would seem to largely miss the point. Now, admittedly, a team with a decent defense can score 28 goals in 28 matches and still be in line for a playoff spot in this league, but Charlton's doesn't have a decent defense. Having played those 28 games, no one on the table has given up more goals -- which would seem to mean that not only does the squad need to score, it needs to score a heck of a lot more frequently. And, unlike the defense, there is some promise that this problem might be addressed (to whatever extent) by simply tapping others already in the squad whose talents are being frittered away.

This seems patently clear to me. However, it may be that because I'm an American I simply can't wrap my head around the reason why the offensive threats posed by Chris Dickson and Yassin Moutaouakil wither on the bench whilst the team pursues a glorious spate of 0-0 and 1-1 draws and instead achieves 1-4 and 0-3 drubbings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Just the reaction of Dicko when he scored yesterday said it all, he grabbed the ball and ran back with it - he's hungry for goals, why oh why can't Parky see he is so much more likely to score than Deon 'i can just about flick it on' Burton.

Just watched the highlights - though it was a good goal by Dickson - also liked his attitude after the goal
  • Options
    "Shall we list the "one vs ones" we've scored from this season where an individual has been able to get in behind the opposition back 4 and taken the chance? I'll start with the easy one:

Chris Dickson vs Sheffield United

Next?

Come on it can't be that hard can it?"

Still waiting......;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]"Shall we list the "one vs ones" we've scored from this season where an individual has been able to get in behind the opposition back 4 and taken the chance? I'll start with the easy one:

Next?

Still waiting......;-)

Darren Ambrose against Norwich 2 weeks ago
  • Options
    If he doesn't start with Dickson tomorrow someone as placid and mild-mannered as me will be sorely tempted to get on the pitch and at the dugout and lamp Parkinson myself
  • Options
    If he does not start a plain and simple we want dickosn for 5 Minutes non stop instead of the gash CAFC,CAFC,CAFC
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]"Shall we list the "one vs ones" we've scored from this season where an individual has been able to get in behind the opposition back 4 and taken the chance? I'll start with the easy one:

Next?

Still waiting......;-)

Darren Ambrose against Norwich 2 weeks ago

One to Brunello.

And how about one from our forwards, namely Burton, Gray, Waghorn, Todorov, McCleod and of course Varney who have started 52 games between them this season? Bet you can't name one form that lot!
  • Options
    Gray v Birmingham away
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Gray v Birmingham away

One to Tricky.

Season's update:

One from 52 starts from our forwards and two for the whole squad for ther season. Surely Bouazza got one or did he just miss his?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should all chant D.I.C.K.O

We want Dickson, We want Dickson

If he doesn't start but comes on as a sub we could sing "Hallelujah" (Like Norwich did for Lupoli at the Valley this year (just before he scored)

We need to make it known that he is an unknown quantity and could be very effective

If you are reading this Chris - please don't leave. You have a shit load of support on here and we are all confident that if you get a game you will make things happen. Please make sure it happens in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    I totally agree we should play Dickson tomorrow but fear that Shelvey will be the one to miss out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I totally agree we should play Dickson tomorrow but fear that Shelvey will be the one to miss out

Of course, if we start Dickson we don't want anyone on the pitch that might set him up!

Seriously though, since Parkinson has put Shelvey in the team, I don't think he's ever been on the pitch the same time as Dickson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I totally agree we should play Dickson tomorrow but fear that Shelvey will be the one to miss out

Of course, if we start Dickson we don't want anyone on the pitch that might set him up!

Seriously though, since Parkinson has put Shelvey in the team, I don't think he's ever been on the pitch the same time as Dickson.

I wasnt suggesting that was the right thing to do hence my use of the word 'fear' I just think the thought is that Shelvey isnt thought of as strong enough yet to play in the four and Dickson isnt good enough to play alone up front hence my worry that they both wont play. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Oh I know you didn't meant it like that. I agree I think that's how they see it, which is why they tried him on the right against Sheff Utd rather than Ambrose. I think he also played there when he came on against Norwich didn't he?

I think Dickson will be on the bench and Shelvey will start.
  • Options
    Even the O/S has picked up on it. There's a poll on there as to whether he should play.

Results at the moment are (276 votes)

Play from the start - 81%
    On the bench - 13%
    Don't play him - 6%
  • Options
    to be fair to Parkinson, Dickson probably wouldn't be effective as the lone striker so we'd need to play 4-4-2 with either Burton or Gray alongside him which might mean sacrificing Shelvey?
  • Options
    so has anyone been effective as lone striker, not scoring, winning or keeping clean sheets...
  • Options
    Tbh who on earth would vote for him not to play !!!!!!
  • Options
    parky and pards probably...

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Dicko wants to give Palace a spanking...I say matron

He's certainly no Bellend
  • Options
    Says the right things.
  • Options
    85% of 541 fans want him to start, on the OS.

Come on Parky, wake up.
  • Options
    Where is this poll, I can't find it?
  • Options
    Why a croydonian team in The South London Press????
  • Options
    I did vote about 12 times for him to start. I urge everyone else to!
  • Options
    Well said, supaclive!
  • Options
    bit stupid that you can vote over and over but heyho that's about 15 for me :)
  • Options
    start him and he'll get a hattrick, mark my words...
  • Options
    I'm not convinced he is a saviour but he put his chance away well on Saturday and none of our other strikers are scoring so if he starts and also fails to score are we any worse off?

I'd like both Dicko and Jonjo to start if Jonjo is able to play having played on Saturday.