Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir Ryan Giggs

Can only be a matter of time.
Good thread on players we hate. I have nothng but admaration for Giggs.

Comments

• ***waits for mcs to link this thread to the hatred one***
  • He deserves an honour far more than Beckham
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]***waits for mcs to link this thread to the hatred one***

It was for him really, Curb_it's comment reminded me.

However I stand by what I said.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]He deserves an honour far more than Beckham

Could not agree more. Obviously, if you read the most hated thread...
  • the word legend is too loosely used nowadays - but Giggs is certainly that. To play at the very top for as long as he has is just fantastic - some of the goals he's scored - including the one at the Valley - have been brilliant.

just a shame he was Welsh
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]the word legend is too loosely used nowadays - but Giggs is certainly that. To play at the very top for as long as he has is just fantastic - some of the goals he's scored - including the one at the Valley - have been brilliant.

just a shame he was Welsh

Ledge, are you thinking of the goal that wasn't? The one from half way line, with his back to goal and where lobbed Keily? Hit the bar and OGS tapped it in didn't he? Greatest goal against us there never was...

Total quality bloke and player and a credit to the game though.
  • Oh yeah that's it - when I was typing that thought something was wrong
  • Fastest I have ever seen with the ball under control, and I include Ronaldo in that.
  • Would agree, but he chose to play for Wales. So no.

If you are half English, born in England - why would you play for Wales?

I have heard that he did it on the advice of Sir Alex - it wouldn't surprise me!

Didn't he actually play for England as a lad?

Great player though. Should have been on the left for England - who knows what impact he may have had.
  • Captained England Schoolboys

BUT .....

He was born in Cardiff and so IS Welsh
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Would agree, but he chose to play for Wales. So no.

I have heard that he did it on the advice of Sir Alex - it wouldn't surprise me!

Great player though. Should have been on the left for England - who knows what impact he may have had.

As a youngster he did play for England. Owen played for Wales
  • I stand corrected.

I always assumed he was born in Manchester!

Fair play to you Mr Giggs.

Sounds like he is playing well tonight as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Would agree, but he chose to play for Wales. So no.

At school boy level you play for the country that you are educated in regardless of nationality. As both parents were Welsh, plus grandparents etc he could only ever play for Wales at full international level.
  • Giggs, is, shit, fact.

I watched the game tonight, and he is as shit as he always was, just soooooo overrated i am better!!

Eyes too close together, cant trust a turn coat! Arse!
  • behave yourself MCS ya silly sod
  • MCS we know your views you are wrong, but can't argue with the fact you should be allowed to hold those views.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Would agree, but he chose to play for Wales. So no.

At school boy level you play for the country that you are educated in regardless of nationality. As both parents were Welsh, plus grandparents etc he could only ever play for Wales at full international level.

Actually he could have also played for Sierra Leone, where one of his grandfathers was from.
  • Ollie mate- on this one you are wrong-

Giggs is up there with Shearer and Schmeichal(sp) as one of the greatest players to grace English football in the premeirship years.

That goal against the arse as well......
  • Shearer? *spit* Don't get me started....
  • He is gash, end of.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    Shearer - great player, great man, great pundit - well that's what Bobby Robson said after his later rescinded sending off after fouling Fortune. He can't help it if players put their head on his Boots / elbows / knees (delete as applicable). Who was the lower league player that roughed him up in the cup and he offered him out in the car park, only not to turn up?

Cost us that game against Argentina, with his roughhouse tactics on the keeper.
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Shearer - great player, great man, great pundit - well that's what Bobby Robson said after his later rescinded sending off after fouling Fortune. He can't help it if players put their head on his Boots / elbows / knees (delete as applicable). Who was the lower league player that roughed him up in the cup and he offered him out in the car park, only not to turn up?

Played for Grimsby. Shearer did him with his elbow and a few minutes later the Grimsby player did him back.

Cue huge pantomime from Shearer that about one professional trying to hurt another like that.
    Laugh, I couldn't stop.
  • Great player, Great Career, not sure about national honours but hey.

I heard a rumour he played for Wales to spite his absent English father, not sure if that is true though
  • edited February 2009
    I'm sick of hearing commentators, especially on Sky, going on and on and on about what a model pro he is, what a great servant he is and how amazing that he can still do it at his age, that I can't stand Giggs. Everything he does these days is so over-hyped by commentators and pundits, and when he contributes to a game they absolutely rave about him, while conveniently ignoring any mistakes.

It's the same with Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes.

I would say I can't wait till they retire but then there'll be the risk of having to watch them as pundits.
  • being a left footer was a huge bonus for him in the game though
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I would say I can't wait till they retire but then there'll be the risk of having to watch them as pundits.
    Not much chance of that, I don't think. All three of them thick as two short planks. Then again - if Warren Barton and Paul Merson can do it, maybe they will too. I think Giggs is overrated too BTW - a very good player, but nothing like the legend people make him out to be. Still, at least he's a decent role model for kids - no stories about him hiring a few brasses for the night or totalling his 300 grand motor or throwing his toys out the pram cos United won't sell him to Madrid...
  • Yeah, that Giggs is rubbish isn't he?

I wish I was even half as sh*t at football as he is.

Man alive.
  • I am better than giggs, i am shit, but he is worse!! All his goals are shinners!! Overrated pile of Welsh dungbeatle.
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Yeah, that Giggs is rubbish isn't he?

I wish I was even half as sh*t at football as he is.

Man alive.

Not saying he's shit, saying these days he is over-rated. Anything he does gets over-hyped by pundits and commentators. It's because he is old, British and plays for man utd.
  • Giggs is a perfect role model and has been fantastic this year remember these goals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF0nh3xO-7o&feature=related