Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Ryan Giggs

Comments

• Options

Yeah, Goonerhater has this spot on

You might call this the publish and be damned response, but we all have a right to privacy. If Giggs chooses to exercise his then that should be respected and by allowing the Sun to publish the allegations he creates a precedent. What if the Mirror wanted to publish another story about him the next week, and the Daily Star or Daily Mail the week after. He has no defence if he's seen to condone the publication of one story.

• Options
     It wouldnt bother me if Giggs were shagging the Queen as it doesnt make one iota of difference to my life.
    I think it would make a difference - it would be bloody hilarious
  • Options

I don't think he has abused Parliamentary privilege.

I disagree, why did he need to mention Ryan Gigg's name? We have a judicial system in this country who decide what is and what isn't law, it's the job of the legislative body to make law. If this MP wanted to make a point about the privacy laws then he could have done so without mentioning his name and that would have respected both the letter of the law and the decision. If Giggs had committed some heinuos crime then that would be another matter, but he hasn't. This MP was grandstanding.

No the Judiciary interpret the law (they only "make" law via case law). As far as anyone knows Giggs has committed no criminal offence. The MP was probably doing everyone a favour by protecting them from contempt of court. Also some superinjunctions have even tried to usurp Parliamentary privilege by stopping MPs from speaking out. This is totally unconstitutional.

Giggs, as advised by his lawyers was seeking to impose a superinjunction which has no basis in law (because they are secret nobody can challenge them). Indeed it goes completely against free speech - which includes the freedom to say or publish embarrassing facts. As I mentioned, "fair comment" is a legal principle that allows us all (not just the press)  to say or publish things that are true. If we publish untruths we can be sued. Superinjunctions can potentially stifle "fair comment".
  • Options
     It wouldnt bother me if Giggs were shagging the Queen as it doesnt make one iota of difference to my life.
    I think it would make a difference - it would be bloody hilarious
    David Furnish wouldn't find it funny.
  • Options
    The point is this MP is not a member of the judiciary.
  • Options
    They haven't named the actor because no one would have heard of him even if they did, whereas Ryan Giggs is a name known worldwide.
  • Options
    The point is this MP is not a member of the judiciary.
    That's the point of Parliamentary privilege - MPs can speak out, even when the judiciary (or anyone else for that matter) try to suppress things. 
  • Options
    Does nobody else find this typical of the absolute arrogant prick that he can do this knowing he can get a gagging order to hide it from his family etc! Whatever anyones view on Giggs is this is the part that gets on my tits the most! Such a horrible dis honest thing to be able to do!

Length and breadth is that footballers are thickos!

I hate him even more now, cheating git!
  • Options
    Does nobody else find this typical of the absolute arrogant prick that he can do this knowing he can get a gagging order to hide it from his family etc! Whatever anyones view on Giggs is this is the part that gets on my tits the most! Such a horrible dis honest thing to be able to do! Length and breadth is that footballers are thickos! I hate him even more now, cheating git!

There's a surprise ;-)

Why someone would start an affair with a Big Brother contestant and NOT believe it would end up in the papers is the most remarkable thing about this story. Shame really as I'd always thought he'd conducted himself a cut above the average Premiership star but there you are.

• Options
    Only in the UK could a simple kiss and tell story become a constitutional crisis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only in the UK could a simple kiss and tell story become a constitutional crisis.
    Absolutely true. Some of the other alleged superinjunctions have been about serious issues but most people don't care. As soon as it's an alleged non-issue about a footballer, everyone wants to know. 
  • Options
    edited May 2011

There's a surprise ;-)

Why someone would start an affair with a Big Brother contestant and NOT believe it would end up in the papers is the most remarkable thing about this story.

The scientific reason maybe summed up as follows:

Balls rule brains

He should be banned from the premier league and made to play for a London based L1 side who play in red. And not the O's either.
  • Options
    The fact of the matter is the guy has had an affair, this thing goes on every minute of everyday - I don't agree with it but its a fact of life.

Obviously part of this was to protect his reputation, but also to protect his children and wife from any further embarrassment; she would have been fully aware of the affair and ensuing court case.

I love watching the bloke play football but what he says and does in his personal life means nothing to be and I don't see why he should be hung out to dry by a nation of hypocrites.
  • Options
    The real villians in all this are the likes of Max Clifford. That bloke is filth.
  • Options
    Spot on Chirpy. Those making any sort of money out of this are absolute scum. Think I heard it costs £50k to take out one of these injunctions, everyone has to get their cut.

• Options
    What's happened???
  • Options
    What's happened???
    It's that old old story: boy meets girl, boy beds girl, girl goes to papers, boy goes to lawyers; lawyers go to judge; judge say's "keep it mum", twits twitter, mp witters, public knows, papers publish.
  • Options
    and?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is a total non story only bolstered by the super-injunction issue. Its a bit like telling a child they can't do something. Immediately it becomes the only thing they want to do. So because there's a gagging order everyone; media and twitterate want to name and shame him.

Its just a rich playboy footballer shags bimbo story like thousands of others.

Frankly it bores me to tears.
  • Options
    There's no 'and'.  That's it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "gagging order"? 

The mind boggles. Any footage?
  • Options
    I'm not saying I agree with what Giggs did or the way he conducted himself. However, I see in the news that the Sun are going to court to get permission to publish more details. The only reason they are doing that is to sell more copies of their paper - it's not in the public interest for this story to be trotted out in detail.

Our privacy laws are in a mess and they must now be changed to reflect the modern world. Just don't ask me how.
  • Options
    And then.....
  • Options

A midfielder playing for the other side of Manchester will be next.

• Options
    Gareth Barry is a great box-to-box player isn't he
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gareth and Ryan met at a junction. It was super. (Allegedly)
  • Options
    You've gotta love these people who hide behind "Super Injunctions" & "masks" haven't you ?
  • Options

He played tonight, didn't look too bothered.

Ok you have to take into context what the match was tonight but bloody hell! Beckham could play in the 2014 World Cup! The bloke is still amazing.

• Options
    There was never anything between Giggs and Thomas.  Often