Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Moved up a division from a very competitive League 1 which we smashed, getting 101 points in the process. Trust me, we have a better first 11 than at least 5-6 teams in the Championship already, and we have momentum on our side
  • edited August 2012
    If we want to seriously improve the team and the word team is important here because I don't mean squad then we will have to recruit from a more expensive pool of talent. That comes with a price in terms of fee and wages. I think the existing players have been around football long enough to realise this and also realise that should any of them move on to pastures new that now they are Championship players their own personal stock has risen from when they negotiated a salary to come to us. It's how football works I'm afraid and some feathers will inevitably get ruffled.
  • We'll have to agree to disagree. There's no doubting we have some great champ standard players Solly wiggins etc but certain areas of our team are lacking big time in quality which could see us seeing a pretty damn miserable season. 3 centre backs going into the season what of morrison gets injured? The less said about the midfield the better. Like has been said on here we got overrun there a lot last season this year we will be punished for it
  • Mike said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. There's no doubting we have some great champ standard players Solly wiggins etc but certain areas of our team are lacking big time in quality which could see us seeing a pretty damn miserable season. 3 centre backs going into the season what of morrison gets injured? The less said about the midfield the better. Like has been said on here we got overrun there a lot last season this year we will be punished for it

Agree. I'd rather see a centre back come in that expects to play, rather than as cover. Looks more likely we'll sign Dervite and just hope he can push on.

On the midfield, Powell clearly knows it needs improving. He's experimented with two formations after playing 4-4-2 for most of last season. At the moment we're hoping to find the right partnership in CM (1st choice of Stephens and Hollands wasn't convincing last season). We're also hoping Wagstaff or Green step up to the Champ (both were inconsistent in League 1), and it's the same with Cook and Kerkar. For me, moving Jackson to the middle in a 4-4-2 isn't going to solve the problems. We can play 4-3-3 but that means we might not get the best out of BWP - would we score enough to make up for that?

Will feel a lot better if we sign at least one proven midfielder.
  • <
    Whatever, get used to losing. Gonna see a lot of it this season ;)

Sir,

You are a twat.

• edited August 2012

<
    Whatever, get used to losing. Gonna see a lot of it this season ;)

"Sir,

You are a twat."

Thats the pot calling the kettle black, get back in your pram. Mug.
  • Don't you think telling other Charlton fans that they better get used to watching us lose is a bit muggy in itself?
  • edited August 2012
    sam3110 said:

Don't you think telling other Charlton fans that they better get used to watching us lose is a bit muggy in itself?

Take what you want from it, not gonna have people calling me names.

Theres far too many on this forum thinking we're gonna storm the league, they need to wake up to themselves. Our team is average.
  • I'd be more than happy to place a bet for charity with anyone here that we will not get relegated.

• Where the hell has anyone said we'd storm the league?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Gazcafc81 said:

sam3110 said:

Don't you think telling other Charlton fans that they better get used to watching us lose is a bit muggy in itself?

Take what you want from it, not gonna have people calling me names.

Theres far too many on this forum thinking we're gonna storm the league, they need to wake up to themselves. Our team is average.
    I don't think we will win the league but promotion/relegation are miles apart, somewhere in the middle is fine. Your negativity is just a pain in the backside, don't blame people for name calling tbh

• edited August 2012

I'd be more than happy to place a bet for charity with anyone here that we will not get relegated.

As i said before, current squad = 16th place finish. Which I'm more then happy with. I wrote what I wrote because I am fed up with reading all the speculation, don't look like we're going to bring in anyone of decent quality just cast offs on frees.

There are loads of posts with over-optimistic views on where we will finish, just have a look around.
  • there are a lot of posts of people seemingly happy with what we have got which I can't understand for a minute, I'd be interested to know whether they has ever been a club that fielded the same first 11 in the last game in one division and the first game in the higher division. Yes we beat Reading and got 101 points...but doing it week in week out in the champ we need better players.
  • SO ABOUT RUMOURS.
  • yes, this is a rumours thread. Take your petty squabbling elsewhere please.
  • yes, this is a rumours thread. Take your petty squabbling elsewhere please.

Agreed

• Mike said:

there are a lot of posts of people seemingly happy with what we have got which I can't understand for a minute, I'd be interested to know whether they has ever been a club that fielded the same first 11 in the last game in one division and the first game in the higher division. Yes we beat Reading and got 101 points...but doing it week in week out in the champ we need better players.

I think our current squad is certainly good enough for a mid-table finish, of course I'd love to see a few new faces but not at the risk of ending up like Pompey. If we have no money what else would you like the board/SCP to do?
  • Get some loan signings in before the start of the season. I can't understand why we haven't accepted the bids for Clarke or really tried to push Hayes out to free up some cash.
  • edited August 2012
    Loans won't be possible until 25man squads are finalised.

As for pushing Hayes out, how do you know what we have tried? You also have no idea what offers have been made for Clarke, what if we where being asked to pay 90% of his wages still? Would you accept it then?

I think some people just love to be miserable. We smashed a very strong league one last season, with an exceptional defence, chill out a bit.
  • Do you really believe that we have received an offer with us still having to pay 90% of his wages?
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe you are saying we should accept an offer, without having the first clue what that offer was.

• edited August 2012
    Think the squad is good enough some loans would be nice but not the end of the world

• Dont really agree with this "strong league one last season" I thought there was only ever really 3 teams in it, us and the 2 sheffield teams. thought the rest were pretty average to be honest.
  • Not Huddersfield who got promoted then?
  • I am one of the fans who thinks are squad is fine to stay up next year, as we have a better squad then 4/5 teams plus the momentum of being used to winning combined with a great management team who can get more out of the players but i would like to see 2 more players come in, striker to compete with Yann and a 4th CB to compete with Cort & Taylor.

If we cant afford that then it is not the end of the world as id much rather watch my club in the championship for the next 10 years then risk the future of the club like Blackburn & Wednesday plus some others seem to be doing as that only leads in one direction normally and that is moaning about trips to Hartlepool.
  • Mike said:

Do you really believe that we have received an offer with us still having to pay 90% of his wages?

I do agree with Stu a bit, although I agree we need to get rid of Clarke and Hayes, and fairly quickly, we effectively paid out a little on Clarke and so we do want to recoup something on him if possible. You were saying just throw them out the door, but we need to receive an acceptable offer and treat the pair with respect also.

• edited August 2012
    We do need an acceptable offer yeh but Hayes is on 4.5k a week and Clarke probably something similar. Every week we hang on to the pair of them we are losing about 10k
  • Im assuming we have another striker lined up as Hayes is good enough back up for a team aiming to stay up in this division, he only suffered due to being one of 3 class strikers we had last year, could not play them all.
  • I am one of the fans who thinks are squad is fine to stay up next year, as we have a better squad then 4/5 teams plus the momentum of being used to winning combined with a great management team who can get more out of the players but i would like to see 2 more players come in, striker to compete with Yann and a 4th CB to compete with Cort & Taylor.

If we cant afford that then it is not the end of the world as id much rather watch my club in the championship for the next 10 years then risk the future of the club like Blackburn & Wednesday plus some others seem to be doing as that only leads in one direction normally and that is moaning about trips to Hartlepool.

Why are we in the same category as Blackburn? we've bought in a lot of players but in monet terms we haven't really spent that much, even the Antonio deal is rumoured to be around the 700K mark, Kirkland was free, as were a few others, we haven't broke the bank at all we are just strengthening our squad and keeping within out budget, at the same time we've been offloading players like Rob Jones, Ryan Lowe etc.

Why are we in the same category as Blackburn? we've bought in a lot of players but in monet terms we haven't really spent that much, even the Antonio deal is rumoured to be around the 700K mark, Kirkland was free, as were a few others, we haven't broke the bank at all we are just strengthening our squad and keeping within out budget, at the same time we've been offloading players like Rob Jones, Ryan Lowe etc.

To be fair that is the most impressive thing about the Wendys business is that they have managed to offload some of their fringe players who would not be good enough in the CCC .We seem to be struggling to do either the signings or letting squad players go .

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!