Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• But then can't Cat 1 academies still pinch players from other Cat 1 academies for a fixed price? If we had a Cat 1 adademy, Man U could still buy a youngster from us.

Theoretically, having a Cat 1 acedemy would make us more attractive to youngsters.

Interestingly, Ipswich have literally just applied for Cat 1 status.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich_town_apply_for_category_one_academy_status_1_2170760
    “We are currently in Category Two and delivering a great programme but if you want to compete for the best players, you have got to nail down Category One status,” said Town academy director, Bryan Klug.

“If you are not starting out with the best players then you are making it really difficult. We want to be the best academy in the area and that’s no disrespect to Norwich, West Ham or up the road at Colchester.

“The bigger clubs (in Category One) can offer better packages to these youngsters so why wouldn’t they choose to go there if they are given an extra pair of boots or training kit?

“The EPPP has thrown a lot of money at the academy system and it’s become a lot more competitive.

“I have seen the standard at Tottenham and we are not kidding ourselves that we can do the same, but we want to be on the same playing field doing it our way. It’s my job to make this place the one that everybody chooses.”
  • But then can't Cat 1 academies still pinch players from other Cat 1 academies for a fixed price? If we had a Cat 1 adademy, Man U could still buy a youngster from us.

Theoretically, having a Cat 1 acedemy would make us more attractive to youngsters.

Interestingly, Ipswich have literally just applied for Cat 1 status.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich_town_apply_for_category_one_academy_status_1_2170760

“We are currently in Category Two and delivering a great programme but if you want to compete for the best players, you have got to nail down Category One status,” said Town academy director, Bryan Klug.

“If you are not starting out with the best players then you are making it really difficult. We want to be the best academy in the area and that’s no disrespect to Norwich, West Ham or up the road at Colchester.

“The bigger clubs (in Category One) can offer better packages to these youngsters so why wouldn’t they choose to go there if they are given an extra pair of boots or training kit?

“The EPPP has thrown a lot of money at the academy system and it’s become a lot more competitive.

“I have seen the standard at Tottenham and we are not kidding ourselves that we can do the same, but we want to be on the same playing field doing it our way. It’s my job to make this place the one that everybody chooses.”
    one criticism of the EPPP is that it doesnt outline what happens when a cat 1 clubs wants to sign another cat 1 player. I'm assuming it goes to the old way, when the clubs have to agree a fee, rather than there being a low fixed fee.
  • Saw 40 unread rumour rumour messages and got excited about a potential new signing. Depressing reading another of our kids has gone. When did our plan re CAT status change, before the new owners or just recently.

Don't understand why we have spent so much on likes of Hart if we plan on staying CAT 2. Sale of Palmer or this other lad prob only cover his 1yr pay so what's the point.
  • edited April 2013

J BLOCK said:

Redknapp going?

Announcement on future in 48hrs

Seems an odd thing to do as he is on a contract so didnt really need to announce anything

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/29/harry-redknapp-not-as-good-as-he-thinks_n_3176612.html .. an interesting take on 'Super 'Arry' as he stays at QPR

• J BLOCK said:

Redknapp going?

Announcement on future in 48hrs

Seems an odd thing to do as he is on a contract so didnt really need to announce anything

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/29/harry-redknapp-not-as-good-as-he-thinks_n_3176612.html .. an interesting take on 'Super 'Arry' as he stays at QPR

It was said on 5live tonight that they were planning to make a statement, so this isnt unexpected and nothing should be read into it.

• Saw 40 unread rumour rumour messages and got excited about a potential new signing. Depressing reading another of our kids has gone. When did our plan re CAT status change, before the new owners or just recently.

Don't understand why we have spent so much on likes of Hart if we plan on staying CAT 2. Sale of Palmer or this other lad prob only cover his 1yr pay so what's the point.

Have to admit I'd missed this piece of news too....When did this happen , please and if it's not been officially announced, how did "we" find out ?

Thanks.

• Friends fanny who know the lad
  • Friends fanny who know the lad

Thanks, nla.

• Thank goodness CAFC and the Academy don't react to losing players the way some of the fans do. This has been going on for years at ALL Clubs, probably outside of the top half a dozen Academies
  • You can take the positives out of this as well though - players will see that by playing for the Charlton acadamy that they will be recognised on an international level (lots of caps at U16 - U18 England teams) and domestically through Palmer going to Chelsea and Edwards potentially going to Man U - 2 of the most successful English sides of the last 10 years. Not to mention our recent record of bringing through Solly, Wagstaff and Harriot into the first team in the last few years and with Jenkinson, Elliot and Shelvey playing premier league football this season at young ages can only bode well for our academy and recruitment potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chrispy51 said:

You can take the positives out of this as well though - players will see that by playing for the Charlton acadamy that they will be recognised on an international level (lots of caps at U16 - U18 England teams) and domestically through Palmer going to Chelsea and Edwards potentially going to Man U - 2 of the most successful English sides of the last 10 years. Not to mention our recent record of bringing through Solly, Wagstaff and Harriot into the first team in the last few years and with Jenkinson, Elliot and Shelvey playing premier league football this season at young ages can only bode well for our academy and recruitment potential.

And we didn't even get £5m in total for them.
  • Azeez on the way out? Hopefully not!

AdeAzeez † ‏@AdeAzeez94 2m
    What will be, will be

https://twitter.com/AdeAzeez94/status/329268059510566913
  • Could be related to anything.
  • Yep, could mean he's been told he's in the first team squad this weekend for example, or that they are thinking of loaning him out next season, etc.
  • or hes going to wembley..
  • Evina also tweeted a cryptic message, is he off too?

@ceddyevina: Sometimes it could just be a blessing a disguise... Always look on the positive side :)
  • Cedric Evina and Yado Mambo have both tweeted things along the same lines as Azeez so would assume they've all been released.
  • John Sullivan‏@JohnSullivan1328s
    Had a nice chat with the #cafc coaching staff today and I can confirm my time at the club is now over. Appreciate all they have done for me!
  • Hang on that looks like a fact to me....on the rumours rumours thread??
  • Hang on that looks like a fact to me....on the rumours rumours thread??

Rumour has it he appreciated everything they done for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Losing Evina and Azeez doesn't look like good business. Not so worried about the others.
  • edited April 2013
    sullivan also on the way out....

John Sullivan ‏@JohnSullivan13 11m
    Had a nice chat with the #cafc coaching staff today and I can confirm my time at the club is now over. Appreciate all they have done for me!

edit: sorry i missed JBLOCK's comment
  • @Cally_messi: Can't believe the news I just heard
  • Sullys a top pro, never complained. Honestly surprised about mambo and Azeez. Heard mambo was becoming a bit of a favourite at Shrewsbury in league one.
  • Really really really surprised if Evina Azeez and Mambo are off. It either means we are aiming significantly higher (or think we are) or are potless.

Evina struggled initially but showed promise - how about Watford away?
    Azeez has always seemed promising in the academy
    Mambo struggled initially but apparently has been solid for Shrewsbury
  • Ill be gutted if Evina goes.

A very decent replacement to Wiggins at this level imo.
  • That Evina tweet looks like it could be in support of the others.

I hope.
  • Mambo's just tweeted that he's off too
  • Azeez is an England u19?
  • And was knocking in the door earlier this year
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!