Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Takeover

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

I don't know. I can believe that he spoke to a player, I am more sceptical that players have been given "official" information on something that is share price sensitive etc.

I make you right on that Bing. Can't see anyone being "told" until it is done and then it will be announced officially. And the last people you would tell would be the players IMHO who would be straight on the phone to their agents asking for pay rises.

I did hear a rumour that there might be a takeover and it could be in the next month and a half if it happens but I can't give my source as just made it up myself : - 0

Mr Murray wasn't saying anything about a takeover at the GM last week but he referred quite a lot to how things might be different if we were taken over, how the training ground could be bought back if we were taken over, etc.

Wishful thinking by RAM? Maybe. Wishful thinking by BH. Certainly.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]The Varney takeover will be done within the next 10-14 days.

I will not reveal my source (ever) but he/she has fed me 3 titbits in the past (Danny Murphy to sign - 4 days before he did, Darren Bent to Spurs - 20mins after the Liverpool game, Diawara off to Bordeaux - 20mins after the same Liverpool game, so his/her strike rate is 100%).

He/She is absolutely certain the new owners will be in before the Norwich game and that Parky will be gone immediateky after the same game.

If it doesn't happen.....don't shoot the messenger.[/quote]

so who is backing varney if this is happening, that's what i want to know
  • Options
    Unless the new owners have signed the papers no one can be certain when they will be in, 6 hours, 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 years, Ever.

If it isn't a done deal then it isn't a done deal so can be cancelled/fall through at any time. Remember how close Zebeel was when that was pulled.

I hope it happens today but doesn't mean it will.
  • Options
    If its a take over it has to be anounced re the stockmarket etc etc
  • Options
    Ok, time to come clean. I'm putting in the capital for a takeover but will be using others as a front.

I can't go into too much detail just yet, but suffice to say when you see AFKA running out as a mascot for the Norwich game and decent beer being served at the ramps then you will know who's behind it.
  • Options
    ....errrm Off it, do you think you can hold off my rival consortium who promise to repair the potholes in the car park?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]The Varney takeover will be done within the next 10-14 days.

I will not reveal my source (ever) but he/she has fed me 3 titbits in the past (Danny Murphy to sign - 4 days before he did, Darren Bent to Spurs - 20mins after the Liverpool game, Diawara off to Bordeaux - 20mins after the same Liverpool game, so his/her strike rate is 100%).

He/She is absolutely certain the new owners will be in before the Norwich game and that Parky will be gone immediateky after the same game.

If it doesn't happen.....don't shoot the messenger.

He/She - Have we got ladyboy supporters now!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nobody should get over excited because it still might never happen. But the Sun story was not ''just paper talk'' or ''made up in the Sun's offices'', as some suggested at the time.

I might be semi-retired but don't forget I still write regularly for News International's titles, and I'm now 99 per cent certain of the story's source - and it was kosher.

Which still doesn't mean it's going to happen, until it's signed off.Which it might never be, so don't bet your house on it. But on the other hand, cautious optimism would not be unreasonable, IMO. And by heaven, we could do with some of that right now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Lets just wait and see what happens in the next 6 weeks or so. Thats what i got told today anyway.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Lets just wait and see what happens in the next 6 weeks or so. Thats what i got told today anyway.

Must be 5 weeks by now!

LMAO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]The Varney takeover will be done within the next 10-14 days.

If it doesn't happen.....don't shoot the messenger.

Wheres the fun if you can`t shoot the mesenger clem ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

I don't know. I can believe that he spoke to a player, I am more sceptical that players have been given "official" information on something that is share price sensitive etc.

I make you right on that Bing. Can't see anyone being "told" until it is done and then it will be announced officially. And the last people you would tell would be the players IMHO who would be straight on the phone to their agents asking for pay rises.

I did hear a rumour that there might be a takeover and it could be in the next month and a half if it happens but I can't give my source as just made it up myself : - 0

Mr Murray wasn't saying anything about a takeover at the GM last week but he referred quite a lot to how things might be different if we were taken over, how the training ground could be bought back if we were taken over, etc.

Wishful thinking by RAM? Maybe. Wishful thinking by BH. Certainly.

I agree with you and I've no idea who the player is, but I'm sure we've all had the "jam Tomorrow" chat with our boss when discussing a pay-rise, perhaps in this instance a player is being persuaded to stay/sign a new contract on the basis that new owners will finance the next glorious chapter in our history.

Overall, even despite the credit crunch, I'm sure there have been several expressions of interest in the club. Relegation might persuade one or two bidders to think that they could acquire the club on the cheap, that alone might fuel a few rumours, but it's a long way from an expression of interest to buying the club.
  • Options
    It's all goin to appen soon......trust me, I'm a londoner!
  • Options
    if all this takeover talk was true then why sell off the training ground?
  • Options
    covering themselves should it not happen maybe?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]if all this takeover talk was true then why sell off the training ground?

Because we have debts that need paying now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]if all this takeover talk was true then why sell off the training ground?

If the takeover rumour is true there would without doubt be costs that would be incurred by Charlton in such a deal that would need money that the club either do not have with no overdraft facility or perhaps the owners were un willing to put forward without security ? in the event of things going Zabeel up ? Just a thought.
  • Options
    Bing
    Why spread a rumour you dont believe?
    On the one hand you undermine an informant, then on the other you spread his news around.
    What does that make you?
  • Options
    Just heard from an impeccable source that this morning the takeover is definitely off. Sorry about that, but it is felt, apparantly, that the debt to possible income ratio in div three, even with promotion is too big a gap for potential investors. Combined with the likely decrease in Sky money when the next TV deal is made, make it impossible for the group of investors, who it has been suggested are a front for the Sultan of Brunei, to suggest to the Sultan to proceed. Another fly in the ointment is that Brunei relies heavily on oil money, and what with global warming, and the rapid onset of electric car ownership, makes the money from oil much less. There has been another interested consortium, apparantly led by an internet gambling entrepreneur, but they have been waiting for the outcome of the far east interest to be resolved.
    Just to add a Charlton connection, there has been a rumour going round that Sean Newton (who has thought about re-training as an accountant) is also hoping to put together a third consortium with Darren Pitcher and Paul Bacon funded by their recent killing in the futures market...allegedly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: A-R-T-H-U-R[/cite]
    On the one hand you undermine an informant, then on the other you spread his news around.
    What does that make you?

A tabloid Journalist?
  • Options
    In the event of a takeover we'd have lawyers to pay and an EGM meeting would have to be called in order to formally process the takeover etc.

However the given reason for the sale of the training ground etc was though to ease cash flow, not to prepare the club for takeover. As the training ground and the Lansdowne Mews properties were considerable assets their sale would only reduce the value of what's left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spot on there Carly
    Maybe News International Corp star reporter Nigel can advise!
  • Options
    Sethei
    The Sultan of Brunei gave me a gold pen once, in fact he gave one to every foreigner in his country.
    His son studied in the UK and has generously donated vast sums to projects in England and I am positive he knows enough about football, the UK and Charlton not to touch us with a bargepole.
    Sorry but any link with the man with three palaces two wives and a fortune which will be unaffected to any degree by his oil running out, all of his forests being chopped down, all his gas escaping and all his minerals rusting, is utterly spurious
  • Options
    Arthur, I don't mean THAT Sultan of Brunei, I was referring to the other one. I just spelt Brunei wrongly - it should've been Browneye..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]
    Just to add a Charlton connection, there has been a rumour going round that Sean Newton (who has thought about re-training as an accountant) is also hoping to put together a third consortium with Darren Pitcher and Paul Bacon funded by their recent killing in the futures market...allegedly.

That is,without doubt,one of the funniest things i have ever read.
  • Options
    Ah.
    I understand/
    THAT Sultan also gave me a gift. It was a starfish, and he winked as he handed it to me.
    Chocolate it was too.
    Lovely
  • Options
    D`oh, I realise that I have unwittingly fallen into the poo groove again with my smutty references.
    Damn damn
  • Options
    Was it the starfish enterprise?
  • Options
    with lots of backers apparantly Seth!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Because if were to go into administration in future, it would include any assets sold within the previous 2 years ..... ?
    So best to separate those assets sooner rather than later, just in case the worst should come to the worst.

That's my conspiracy theory. ;o)

And also, as BFR says, it raises funds for cashflow now.
  • Options
    ARTHUR asked :

''Maybe News International Corp star reporter Nigel can advise! ''

Was never a reporter, Arthur. Joined The Times in '87 as a twice weekly columnist on Wednesdays and Fridays and then became news editor. Although I did report the return to the Valley for the sports pages as the editor decided a fan's perspective would be more interesting than a standard football desk report...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!