Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options

We are very lucky to have him. Will hate it in a few years time when watching later stàges of tournaments with no British interest. Enjoy him while we can, I say.

I dunno... Kyle Edmund might not be a bad shout for English interests
  • Options
    Here we go, Novak to serve.
  • Options
    Murray broken. 5-3 djok first set
  • Options
    Novak doing a Rafa?

(no, not drugs, but gamesmanship)
  • Options
    First set Novak 6-3
  • Options

Novak doing a Rafa?

So many people on twitter with this attitude, Its very hot, is it so hard to believe he might actually have been feeling a bit dizzy
  • Options

Novak doing a Rafa?

So many people on twitter with this attitude, Its very hot, is it so hard to believe he might actually have been feeling a bit dizzy
    I am not on twitter, just commenting.

nice to see his dizzy passed so quickly.
  • Options
    This game is really end to end.
  • Options
    3-6 3-6 7-5 3-3 going into tomorrow.

Play resumes at midday BST.
  • Options
    Two break points for Murray
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One gone
  • Options
    Get in....Murray breaks, serving for the 4th set.
  • Options
    Loving this match. I started watching during the third set yesterday and some of Murray's tennis was as good as I've seen. I can't believe he's doing it on clay.
  • Options
    Murray serving for the second set. He takes it at the second attempt. Well done Andy.
  • Options
    Stan will be happy watching this!
  • Options
    Djok getting into another gear now.
  • Options
    Murray is 3-0 down now. Novak is playing incredibly well.
  • Options
    Djokovic wins the decider 6-1.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I hope so @Chizz

Today he was arguably one set away from winning the French Open, his weakest surface (although obviously beating Wawrinka in a GS final is never a given).

Very encouraging signs after a difficult couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Novak in that final set was unplayable. If he plays like that at Wimbledon then nobody else stands a chance (including Roger), but I think Andy and Roger will run him close
  • Options
    Andy Murray probably could have been the most decorated British sportsman of all time if it wasn't for that bloody Serb! Murray again showing what I've liked about him his whole career - he fights for it and he's always striving to improve. Does things his own way too, I'm pleased to see his coaching relationship with Mauresmo paying off after she was written off as a bad choice by some, in some cases basically because she's a woman.
  • Options
    Djokovic loses to Wawrinka in four sets in the final.

So Stan has one of each Australian & French, Murray has one of each Wimbledon & US. If they were one person, they'd have completed the career Grand Slam!
  • Options

Djokovic loses to Wawrinka in four sets in the final.

So Stan has one of each Australian & French, Murray has one of each Wimbledon & US. If they were one person, they'd have completed the career Grand Slam!

Didn't expect that, but Stan is an underrated player.
  • Options
    Awesome Tennis from Stan the man today.
    In the 41 Slams since June 2005:
    Nadal has won 14
    Federer 13
    Djokovic 8 which leaves just 6 between
    Murray 2
    Wawrinka 2
    Del potro1
    Cillic 1

In the 16 slams before June 2005 there were 10 different winners.

If Stan or Andy were in any other era, the trite answer seems to be they would both have won more slams but they should be proud to have won 2 slams each when 3 of the greatest players of all time just happened to be the same sort of age and continue to raise the bar.

With Andy and Novak 28, Rafa 29 Stan 30 and Roger 33
    The younger players need to start showing the hunger to emulate the
    big 5 as it is now in the Slams. ( Novak is still the main man and will be favourite to retain his title at Wimbledon)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Stan played very well with some sublime shots but I do wonder whether five sets against Murray left a mental if not physical mark on Novak. He was 3-0 up in that 4th set and then just seemed to crumble.
  • Options
    Think the 5 sets and playing yesterday didn't help Novak, plus Clay is not his best surface as evidenced by the fact he still hasn't won the French open. Stan seems to be a big game player too - 2 finals 2 wins. He also has those big ground strokes that allow him finish some points off a bit quicker, I think that's where Murray struggles a bit vs Novak as they are basically the same player just Novak is that touch stronger. All the stars just aligned for Stan today but full credit to him for taking advantage.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Stan played very well with some sublime shots but I do wonder whether five sets against Murray left a mental if not physical mark on Novak. He was 3-0 up in that 4th set and then just seemed to crumble.

I thought Novak seemed a bit mentally fragile in the semi, the pressure of completing the full set of majors seemed to be playing on him.
  • Options
    His mother voicing her expert opinion on TV this morning.

"Children should play tennis all year round, not just over the Summer when it's on TV"
  • Options
    Murray seeded third for this year's Wimbledon. Nadal tenth seed.

1 DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB)
    2 FEDERER, Roger (SUI)
    3 MURRAY, Andy (GBR)
    4 WAWRINKA, Stan (SUI)
    5 NISHIKORI, Kei (JPN)
    6 BERDYCH, Tomas (CZE)
    7 RAONIC, Milos (CAN)
    8 FERRER, David (ESP)
    9 CILIC, Marin (CRO)
    10 NADAL, Rafael (ESP)
    11 DIMITROV, Grigor (BUL)
    12 SIMON, Gilles (FRA)
    13 TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)
    14 ANDERSON, Kevin (RSA)
    15 LOPEZ, Feliciano (ESP)
    16 GOFFIN, David (BEL)
    17 ISNER, John (USA)
    18 MONFILS, Gael (FRA)
    19 ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP)
    20 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP)
    21 GASQUET, Richard (FRA)
    22 TROICKI, Viktor (SRB)
    23 KARLOVIC, Ivo (CRO)
    24 MAYER, Leonardo (ARG)
    25 SEPPI, Andreas (ITA)
    26 KYRGIOS, Nick (AUS)
    27 TOMIC, Bernard (AUS)
    28 CUEVAS, Pablo (URU)
    29 GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo (ESP)
    30 FOGNINI, Fabio (ITA)
    31 SOCK, Jack (USA)
    32 THIEM, Dominic (AUT)

Means in the worst case scenario, Murray could have to beat Nadal, Federer AND Djokovic to win Wimbledon this year.