Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options
    Murray took the first set 6-4 and going with serve in the second.

Federer also took the first set.
  • Options
    Off for rain for the second time. Showers forecast and already been off for one rain break - why didn't they close the roof when they were off before?
  • Options

Off for rain for the second time. Showers forecast and already been off for one rain break - why didn't they close the roof when they were off before?

Because, they say, it is an outdoor tournament. Why add the roof then?!
  • Options

Because, they say, it is an outdoor tournament. Why add the roof then?!
    For days when it's clearly going to rain all day. Wasn't so obvious today.
  • Options
    Murray two sets up as is Fed.
  • Options
    Muzza has done the job!
  • Options
    Well done Andy. He is looking really good this year - more relaxed and positive than in previous years, but now the really hard work starts.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    R1: Kukushkin (KAZ)
    R2: Haase (NED)
    R3: 25 Seppi (ITA)
    R4: 23 Karlovic (CRO)
    QF: Pospisil (CAN)
    SF: 2 Federer (SUI)
    F: 1 Djokovic (SER) / 21 Gasquet (FRA)

COME ON MURRAY!

• Options
    Gets a bit tougher from here...
  • Options
    Or possibly here....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/09/andy-murray-roger-federer-five-things-wimbledon

Andy Murray v Roger Federer: five things that will decide Wimbledon semi-final

Craig O’Shannessy, lead analyst for the ATP and WTA Tours and the mastermind behind Dustin Brown’s win over Rafael Nadal, runs the rule over the two players

The Federer serve
    The most impressive thing in Roger Federer’s matches so far is his serving. He’s hitting his spots, he’s serving well, first serve, serve and volley, he’s mixing second serves, serve and volley. Everything is built around a strong first-serve percentage for him. That’s really the most important thing in the match. Every part of Roger’s game is better when he’s serving well. It allows Roger to do other things. Even the return game is better because he’s not under pressure. I think his average first serve percentage over his career is about 63%. It feels like it has to be more here, maybe about 67%. If he hits that average there’s not much Andy Murray can do.

The Murray second serve
    Roger should attack the Murray second serve, for sure. He makes more errors off his forehand return but he wins more points overall off it. He puts a ton of backhands back into play but he doesn’t win quite as many. Andy has to figure out where to go. On the deuce court, on the first serve, he’s got to go wide, pull him off the court, open up a hole. Two or three times a set Roger will chip and charge and come in off the return – and he likes to do it on the deuce court, down the line on the backhand – so Andy’s got to try to jam him a bit to the forehand. Mixing second serves to the forehand will be vital because if Roger gets in a rhythm with that serve coming to the backhand he’ll start to come over it with topspin.

How Murray deals with Federer coming to the net
    Roger just grows another leg up there, he really does. So anything Andy can do to stop him coming in will help. The thing Andy’s got to have an awareness of is how good is Roger going to be at the net? Roger’s going to come in on first serves, on second serves, on returns, with a regular approach, and he’s probably going to hit a drop shot and come in. So there are five ways he will come in and Andy’s got to have an awareness of which one’s working better on the day and try to have a plan to shut that down. Using the lob is a great idea for Andy. Roger can close in tight on the net and I’ve seen him miss quite a few overheads going back. You try to put it over the backhand if you can but for sure that’s a good idea.

The Murray forehand on the run
    I did some analysis of four matches between them and Andy made something like 67 errors when he was running from the ad[vantage] court to the forehand out wide, about 15 in the middle and only a few on the backhand. It used to be that you’d just get him on the run; it’s now a strength – I’ve hardly seen him miss it. Every time I’ve seen him on defence there, he’s flicked it across, and that corner to corner, I believe, is four and a half feet longer than down the line, so when he’s on defence he’s going right at that corner, where he’s got more room to land that.

Who deals with the occasion better on the day
    I don’t remember Andy playing better than this, and I don’t remember Roger playing better than this either – both guys are really at the absolute peak of their game. Roger’s not framing the ball, he’s hitting it clean. Andy’s hitting it harder. Both have improved. It’s going to be remarkable to see who blinks, to see who gets nervous. We always say it’s going to come down to a few points but it could come down to one point. It’s a crackerjack match. With Roger, all his strengths are on the serving side. For Andy, all his are on the returning side.
  • Options
    I want Murray to win- but I'm leaning towards King Rog

Either way it will be a spectacle, there's nothing like top level, tense sport
  • Options
    Murray seems to have taken to screaming like a girl when he hits the ball
  • Options
    Watching it on a projector with a beer at work.

Reckon this could go on and on.
  • Options
    Federer's serving very well.

Wish this was the final in a way, would rather either one to win over Djokovic.
  • Options
    Happy to see Federer or Djokovic win Wimbledon. Both very nice lads. Not keen on Murray at all, he's a miserable spoilt brat.
  • Options
    Spoilt... Where do you get the impression that he's spoilt?
  • Options
    Andy is making too many unforced errors. And his second serve is not so hot. But I haven't see Federer play this well for several years
  • Options
    Gotta say I didn't think Federer still had this level of tennis in him. Can't think he's played much better than this in his career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awesome but I still feel, if Federer drops his level slightly, that Murray can get back into it.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Happy to see Federer or Djokovic win Wimbledon. Both very nice lads. Not keen on Murray at all, he's a miserable spoilt brat.

But his mum is so lovely
  • Options
    Not just me that thinks Fed is playing as good as I've ever seen him?
  • Options
    Unbelievable tennis from the Fed. I want to get annoyed about it but I dunno if I can.
  • Options
    Federer is invincible in this form and Murray knows it. Hope there is some left in the tank for the final.
  • Options
    Totally deserved it, almost faultless tennis. Should be a great final.
  • Options
    Fed too good on the day
  • Options
    Federer wins 7-5 7-5 6-4. Ridiculous tennis. Djokovic will go in straight sets on Sunday with a repeat of that.
  • Options
    What a perfomance from Federer, thoroughly deserved. Wanted him to win it before the tournament even started, very happy, what a champion he is.
  • Options
    Hope Federer plays that well on Sunday too, would be awesome to see him win it.