Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options
    But he still wont equal his Career Year best for titles will he? - Didnt he win 9 titles one season?
  • Options

But he still wont equal his Career Year best for titles will he? - Didnt he win 9 titles one season?

Haha that's it, focus on the positive.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Eh... I'm not being negative I'm delighted that he's World No One, just am sure Murray will want to win more titles than have a ranking that the Media seem to care about more than he does from various Interviews
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Eh... I'm not being negative I'm delighted that he's World No One, just am sure Murray will want to win more titles than have a ranking that the Media seem to care about more than he does from various Interviews
    He's got fifty-two million things with which to console himself though..!
  • Options
    A true sporting great.
  • Options
    I never thought i would see a World tennis number one from the UK in my lifetime.

Spectacular work.
  • Options
    Wonderful.
  • Options
    I thought that, a couple of years ago, he'd lost a bit of motivation and his back was a problem. But he has come back very hungry and must be well up to win the big titles that have eluded him - ATP tour finals, the Australian and the French.

If, and it's a big if, he can win these three then he can be classed alongside the all time tennis greats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016

I thought that, a couple of years ago, he'd lost a bit of motivation and his back was a problem. But he has come back very hungry and must be well up to win the big titles that have eluded him - ATP tour finals, the Australian and the French.

If, and it's a big if, he can win these three then he can be classed alongside the all time tennis greats.

Neither Sampras nor Becker won the French Open nor did they win Olympic Gold though

Same with Bjorn Borg... Of all the Grand Slams he only won Wimbledon and the French Open

If anything Murray does just need to add to his number of Grand Slam victories (regardless of where they come) to be up there
  • Options
    Since Feb 2004 only Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been number 1, 3 people in 12 1/2 years!
  • Options
    Greatest British sportsman of all time.
  • Options

Since Feb 2004 only Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been number 1, 3 people in 12 1/2 years!

Since 1973 only 23 / 25 people (?) have had the honor of being World No.1 thats over a 43-year period...
  • Options

Since 1973 only 23 / 25 people (?) have had the honor of being World No.1 thats over a 43-year period...
    The list of world number 1s is an interesting one, as it includes "relatively" ordinary players from some eras when no players dominated, while other eras are dominated by legends who were on top for a long time

Newcombe, Muster, Rios, Moya, Kafelnikov, Rafter, Safin and Ferrero have all been number 1 for fewer than 10 weeks, Rafter managing only 1 week at the top!

Women's tennis has had a lot of poor number 1s in recent years, with Serena and Venus not playing the major tournaments, when Serena was clearly the best player in the world

• Options
    It'll depend on what kind of shape/state of mind Djokovic comes back in for the new season. If it's the one from the last couple of months then Murray will have a great chance of cementing himself as maybe, one of the top 10 ever, maybe even better than that.

Age will catch-up to him eventually, but it's not impossible to see him maybe winning 4 of the next 8 Slams. Del Po was looking a threat again now he's fit, and Wawrinka is an excellent player who has won Slams, but if Novak joins Feds and Nadal in the 'best days are behind him bus' then there still doesnt appear to be a real young up and comer who might become a new threat.

As above, IF he can add 3 or 4 major titles, especially if it includes completing a career slam, then he'll be a genuine tennis hall of famer.

He currently lacks wins in Slams, but his other stats, like finals appearances, stack up well vs the all but the very very very top guys.

Probably my favourite ever non-Charlton sportsman. Certainly my favourite outside of Football.
  • Options

Newcombe, Muster, Rios, Moya, Kafelnikov, Rafter, Safin and Ferrero have all been number 1 for fewer than 10 weeks, Rafter managing only 1 week at the top!
    Murray himself will only be number 1 for two weeks if Djokovic wins the tour final in London.

However if Djokovic doesn't win it then it's likely Murray will stay number 1 until at least the middle of next year as Djokovic has a huge amount of ranking points to defend in the early half of the year.
  • Options

Neither Sampras nor Becker won the French Open nor did they win Olympic Gold though

Same with Bjorn Borg... Of all the Grand Slams he only won Wimbledon and the French Open

If anything Murray does just need to add to his number of Grand Slam victories (regardless of where they come) to be up there
    Fair enough

• Options

Murray himself will only be number 1 for two weeks if Djokovic wins the tour final in London.

However if Djokovic doesn't win it then it's likely Murray will stay number 1 until at least the middle of next year as Djokovic has a huge amount of ranking points to defend in the early half of the year.
    Would that still be the case even if Murray reaches the final, as I recall last year Murray went out fairly early so if defending relatively few points?

Even if Djokovic was to reclaim the number 1 slot, as defending Australian and Paris champion he has a lot of points to defend so it will be tough for him to stay there
  • Options
    Not sure to be honest as it would depends on if they win all their group matches as well.

An incredible achievement by Murray though, amazing player and probably unfortunate to have played in an era with 3 of the greatest ever who've won 43 grand slams between them. He would quite likely have won multiple slams if maybe 2 of them hadn't been around over the past 2/3/4 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I get the argument that he has been unfortunate with the standard of other top players at the same time. But, in the end, I think it has helped to bring out the best in him.
  • Options
    Without wishing to come over all 'buzzfeed' the Christmas jumper pic made me proper lol.

http://www.tenniscanada.com/tweets-week-andy-murray-world-no-1/
  • Options

Without wishing to come over all 'buzzfeed' the Christmas jumper pic made me proper lol.

http://www.tenniscanada.com/tweets-week-andy-murray-world-no-1/

Good to see the amount of current Tennis Players who are all congratulating him.

Seems a really popular person in the dressing room on that basis, although isnt he something like a PFA Chairman for everyone now?
  • Options
    Fantastic achievement - has worked so hard to get there. Seems very grounded and for me is Britain's top sportsman.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Greatest British sportsman of all time.

Yes, a very strong argument for that.

Whilst admitting a slight bias as horseracing is one of my passions, a man who was the best in the world at what he did for 40 years would for me be in the same argument - Lester Piggott.

I don't expect many will agree with me though!!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Valley11 said:

You can take the boy out of Charlton, but you can't take... ;)
  • Options
    On the points issue I understand he loses 250 points as we are not in the Davis Cup which he won last year. Really hope he wins at the O2 as it should mean he will be top for at least a further 6 months.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Game was very different in Borg's day. I believe he only ever contested the Australian Open once in his entire career.
  • Options
    Well done Andy, we just need to beat England on Friday and you will have had a perfect year!