Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options

I've just twigged who his mum reminds me of (been bugging me for ages). An older version of Daphne from Neighbours.

• Options
    Or Hermione Norris from Cold Feet.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37900315
    Murray needs to at least match Djokovic's performance in London to ensure he keeps hold of the top ranking until the start of next season, but he has been handed a tough draw.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37900315

Murray needs to at least match Djokovic's performance in London to ensure he keeps hold of the top ranking until the start of next season, but he has been handed a tough draw.
    Now we know why he wanted to stay No. 2 until at least 2017 and then aim for the No.1 spot ;)

Although with Djokovic's form is he guaranteed to get out of his Group himself?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

Greatest British sportsman of all time.

Yes, a very strong argument for that.

Whilst admitting a slight bias as horseracing is one of my passions, a man who was the best in the world at what he did for 40 years would for me be in the same argument - Lester Piggott.

I don't expect many will agree with me though!!
    Horse racing isn't a sport.
  • Options
    It is quite possible Djok regains the number one spot at Wembley. However it would be a major surprise if Murray doesn't regain it shortly into 2017. He had a poor start to the year and Djok had a great start. So the number of points Murray has gained in the second half means he will only have to do moderately well in the first half unless Djok does exceptionally well even by his own standards.

The o2 has never been a good tournament for Andy but he goes in on great form, maybe even as favourite.

I have tickets for Wednesday evening; Murray plays Wednesday but I bet it is going to be the afternoon session!
  • Options
    redman said:

It is quite possible Djok regains the number one spot at Wembley. However it would be a major surprise if Murray doesn't regain it shortly into 2017. He had a poor start to the year and Djok had a great start. So the number of points Murray has gained in the second half means he will only have to do moderately well in the first half unless Djok does exceptionally well even by his own standards.

The o2 has never been a good tournament for Andy but he goes in on great form, maybe even as favourite.

I have tickets for Wednesday evening; Murray plays Wednesday but I bet it is going to be the afternoon session!

Please dont go to Wembley there will be nothing there... As you then stated its at the O2 in North Greenwich
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    the groups don't entirely make sense to me

Murray's has the 1,3,5,7 ranked players, Novak the 2,4,6,8 ranked players, so Murray's side is stronger. In Wimbledon semis, if the top seeds make it then 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, which seems fairer

Murray has Wavrinka, Nishikori and Cilic, while Novak has Raonic (unfit?), Monfils and Thiem
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Murray's has the 1,3,5,7 ranked players, Novak the 2,4,6,8 ranked players, so Murray's side is stronger. In Wimbledon semis, if the seed make it then 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, which seems fairer

Murray has Wavrinka, Nishikori and Cilic, while Novak has Raonic (unfit?), Monfils and Thiem

Basically no one is given favouritism this way its the top eight players in the World against each other...

Guess the easy thing to do would be - Murray given, 6,7,8 with Novak given 3,4,5
  • Options

Murray's has the 1,3,5,7 ranked players, Novak the 2,4,6,8 ranked players, so Murray's side is stronger. In Wimbledon semis, if the seed make it then 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, which seems fairer

Basically no one is given favouritism this way its the top eight players in the World against each other...

Guess the easy thing to do would be - Murray given, 6,7,8 with Novak given 3,4,5
    Or Murray given 4,6,8 and Novak 3,5,7,

Giving the slight benefit to the higher ranked player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going monday evening when he plays Cilic.
  • Options

Or Murray given 4,6,8 and Novak 3,5,7,

Giving the slight benefit to the higher ranked player
    I'd have thought they'd go for:

1 3 6 8

2 4 5 7
  • Options

I've just twigged who his mum reminds me of (been bugging me for ages). An older version of Daphne from Neighbours.

Daphne dying killed me inside. Never forget her muttering 'I love you Des' as her last words, Des starts hugging the nurse and Daphne croaks.

Pissed me right off as an 8 year old child
  • Options

Daphne dying killed me inside. Never forget her muttering 'I love you Des' as her last words, Des starts hugging the nurse and Daphne croaks.

Christ, couldn't he have waited a few minutes? Disgraceful.
  • Options

I though she said "I love you too Clarkey"

Sad how I can remember that but not where I put my keys 5 minutes ago.
  • Options

Spoilers!
  • Options

https://youtu.be/moSFlvxnbgk
  • Options
    4-1 up against Cilic in the First Set of the ATP Finals... Cilic has yet to win a Service Game
  • Options
    Was there tonight. Vintage Murray. Another night ruined by charlton as could not concentrate due to the unbelievable news.
  • Options
    Beats Wawrinka 6-4 6-2 to make it 3 wins out of 3, cruises into the last 4 where he'll play Raonic. Looking good for a Murray v Djokovic final to end the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nishikori, wavrinka, Raonic, Djokovic

That's one hell of a run of games!
  • Options
    Murray comes through an epic in just over 3 and a half hours to finally beat Raonic 5-7 7-6 7-6.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    So if he loses to Djokovic in the Final... He loses No.1 spot?

(Yeah I know Novak has to beat Nishikori still)
  • Options
    Correct.

Murray effectively had a 130 point lead over Djokovic coming into the ATP finals. But if Djokovic wins it he'll get 1500 points and Murray 1000 for runner up.

Pretty amazing though given that Djokovic was over 9000 ahead earlier this year.
  • Options

Correct.

Murray effectively had a 130 point lead over Djokovic coming into the ATP finals. But if Djokovic wins it he'll get 1500 points and Murray 1000 for runner up.

Pretty amazing though given that Djokovic was over 9000 ahead earlier this year.

Yeah if Djokovic does win (and I suspect he will because of the exhausting match Murray had today and against Nishikori) I hope people will realise that Murray made up a ton of points in 2016 and only lost the No.1 spot, not because he cant handle the pressure but because there is SUCH a small gap between the two players now.

I think the rivalry between these two is about to raise to the next level and it won't just be Grand Slams and titles that swing between the two yet the No.1 spot too
  • Options
    Even if Murray does lose the number 1 spot tomorrow, there's a good chance he can win it back early next year as Djokovic has a ton of points to defend in the first few months of 2017.
  • Options
    Come on Kei, make yourself a legend!
  • Options

Even if Murray does lose the number 1 spot tomorrow, there's a good chance he can win it back early next year as Djokovic has a ton of points to defend in the first few months of 2017.

Well we've got the Australian Open in just two months... that'll potentially create another swing the other way in points
  • Options
    Yeah, Djokovic always wins there and usually it's beating by Murray in the final