Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options
    I wish all Scottish sportsmen exactly the same level of support that Scots wish to the English.
  • Options
    As someone who meets many Scots in the course of a year, I have to say very few are really anti-English. There is banter of course, and they might have a chuckle if we lose, the same way we might with the other home nations. But for the most part, if we are in the WC and they are not, they are happy to follow England.
  • Options
    i think we are just a bit too precious really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I wish all Scottish sportsmen exactly the same level of support that Scots wish to the English.
    What - the same level that 98% of Scots wish to the English - or just the pathetic, immature, chip-on-the-shoulder, bigoted 2%?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I wish all Scottish sportsmen exactly the same level of support that Scots wish to the English.
    What - the same level that 98% of Scots wish to the English - or just the pathetic, immature, chip-on-the-shoulder, bigoted 2%?

Pitch up in Scotland when England are playing in the World Cup or Euro Championships and then tell me that 98% are cheering on England !
  • Options
    Had the 'pleasure' of watching Sweden v England in Scotland. Was certainly glad I'm a big fecker and yes, the entire bar (except us) were cheering on Sweden.
    Murray is just a typical Scot, that's all. It just made me proud to be from a country that inspired so much envy in it's neighbours!

As far as tennis goes - I can think of few things more boring. If I wasn't working and could take the Wimbledon fortnight as leave abroad so I didn't have to think about it, I'd be there in a hot minute. Tennis is just sh*t.
  • Options
    Much as I hate tennis I know I'll be drawn in like most years. Personally, and I know I shouldn't, but I quite like the bloke.

So, he wanted England to lose a football match apparently, big deal and I'd expect nothing else from a Scot. Are we all saying we never find it amusing when another one of the home nations cocks up? I actually think the blokes a winner, with a winners attitude and to me I'd rather support an Andy Murray than a bland, boring, safe, not-a-chance-of-winning-anything, housewifes favourite, Henman any day of the week.

Then again I was always a McEnroe man than a Bjorg so no suprises there.
  • Options
    I want him to go out first round. Cant stand him dont care if he's talented or not. Think he is very very fortunate nadal is injured and he is playing tennis when there aint a lot of really good talent about .
  • Options
    Yeah. 1st round if not before.
  • Options
    From a piece in the Daily Telegraph last year, taken from his autobiography:

"I am Scottish. I am also British. I am not anti-English, I never was... what happened was a little joke that went wrong.

It was the time of the 2006 World Cup and England were due to play Paraguay. Tim Henman and I were being interviewed and before we started the journalist asked Tim about England's chances in the World Cup and asked me who I would be supporting.

He was making the point that Scotland weren't there. I got the joke. I laughed. We did the interview and the last question was: "Who will you be supporting?" Remembering our previous banter, I just said: "Whoever England are playing, ha ha." I had a smile on my face.

It was obvious I was joking. It wasn't reported like that. They made up stories about me buying a Paraguay shirt, the whole thing was absolute nonsense."

----

He may not be that 'likeable', but personally I hope he wins it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hope he makes the 1/4 final.

I've got a ticket for centre court on the 1st. Should be a cracking atmosphere if he makes it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Much as I hate tennis I know I'll be drawn in like most years. Personally, and I know I shouldn't, but I quite like the bloke.

So, he wanted England to lose a football match apparently, big deal and I'd expect nothing else from a Scot. Are we all saying we never find it amusing when another one of the home nations cocks up? I actually think the blokes a winner, with a winners attitude and to me I'd rather support an Andy Murray than a bland, boring, safe, not-a-chance-of-winning-anything, housewifes favourite, Henman any day of the week.

Agree 100%. I could not stand Henman. He represented everything that is wrong with the elitist upper middle class sport that Tennis still is in the UK. Murray is a truly world class tennis player (no thanks to the LTA as he spent most of his school years learning the game in Barcelona I believe). I don't think we have many sportsmen or women in the world top 3 in their sport. He is a winner and a character. If I were him I would not give a sh-t what English football fans think of me. I really hope he wins a grand slam soon. Having said that I think his best hope will always be the American Open. I was also always a McEnroe supporter.

If I remember correctly I think Borg was a Charlton fan as well.
  • Options
    How the f**k did heman "represent everything wrong ---blah blah blah"

Ever met MvEnroe ? i have and he is a total fu**ing ballless knob .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    Pitch up in Scotland when England are playing in the World Cup or Euro Championships and then tell me that 98% are cheering on England !
    Refer to the post earlier in the thread about piss-taking. Most Scots will take the piss out of the English given the opportunity to do so. Ditto the Welsh. We do exactly the same. Its called 'banter' - a few people on this site should look that one up in the dictionary - instead of foaming at the mouth every time the subject of Scotland and sport come up in the same conversation.
  • Options
    It ok not giving a shit what the English football fans think of you. I'm all up for if thats what he thinks then fair play to him. I'm just saying stand by what you say and dont try to change your views cos you want those English football fans to support you when your at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]How the f**k did heman "represent everything wrong ---blah blah blah"
    His parents are ridiculously well-off, he's a public schoolboy and he is a posh twat. That'll do for starters.
  • Options
    Fortunately Scotland and sport rarely crop up in the same conversation........Just banter !
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]From a piece in the Daily Telegraph last year, taken from his autobiography:

"I am Scottish. I am also British. I am not anti-English, I never was... what happened was a little joke that went wrong.

It was the time of the 2006 World Cup and England were due to play Paraguay. Tim Henman and I were being interviewed and before we started the journalist asked Tim about England's chances in the World Cup and asked me who I would be supporting.

He was making the point that Scotland weren't there. I got the joke. I laughed. We did the interview and the last question was: "Who will you be supporting?" Remembering our previous banter, I just said: "Whoever England are playing, ha ha." I had a smile on my face.

It was obvious I was joking. It wasn't reported like that. They made up stories about me buying a Paraguay shirt, the whole thing was absolute nonsense."
  • Options
    I dont see it all as banter you do, thats yur opinion From a good few its a veiled form of racism.
  • Options
    yes and lets not forget he is English.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]It ok not giving a shit what the English football fans think of you. I'm all up for if thats what he thinks then fair play to him. I'm just saying stand by what you say and dont try to change your views cos you want those English football fans to support you when your at Wimbledon.

Agree. I wish he would stop apologising for that incident. It was a joke that got blown out of proportion by little englander newspapers like the Sun. He has explained what happened. Now just forget it and move on.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]How the f**k did heman "represent everything wrong ---blah blah blah"
    His parents are ridiculously well-off, he's a public schoolboy and he is a posh twat. That'll do for starters.

That will do for me! I was trying to word a response myself but I don't think I could do any better than that!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    here is a quote for some of you lefty types and the Scottish Raj ruining the country.

"In left wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and it is their duty to snigger at every english institution, from Horse racing to suet pudding ---" George Orwell

says it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]

That will do for me! I was trying to word a response myself but I don't think I could do any better than that!

I thought the left were in favour of a classless society? :-)

Doesn't seem like it from this thread!

Henman was a personable young man but not good enough.

Murray is not so personable but just might be good enough.

Social class and background is irrelevant or should be in the same way as colour should be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]
    "In left wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and it is their duty to snigger at every english institution, from Horse racing to suet pudding ---" George Orwell

what's this got to do with the price of fish?
  • Options
    we cant be anti Murray but its ok to be anti Henman ? some are just anti English because as Orwell says they have to be. Red in Se8 ? yep thats what i see a red.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]we cant be anti Murray but its ok to be anti Henman ? some are just anti English because as Orwell says they have to be. Red in Se8 ? yep thats what i see a red.

Who said you can't be anti Murray? You clearly dislike him and you stated that fact. I like Andy Murray and have tremendous admiration for what he has achieved. And I merely stated that. I also stated I can't stand Henman which is irrational because I have never met the man and he has never been reported as saying or doing anything that has pissed me off. It is irrational and I admit it. I don't think it is the first irrational sentiment to be expressed on this forum! And there is nothing wrong posting completely irrational, over the top views. They often lead to some of the more entertaining and lively debates on here.

I have to go now. I have two cans of Kroneburg in the freezer and I have to go and collect a curry so I can sit back and watch the 3rd round of the US Open Golf tournament.

I think Tiger Woods is the greatest sportsmen ever! No. Lets start another thread for that one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]we cant be anti Murray but its ok to be anti Henman ? some are just anti English because as Orwell says they have to be. Red in Se8 ? yep thats what i see a red.
    Now you and me have talked some bollocks on here over the years fella, but this takes the cake. That is - absolute and unadulterated - dogshit. Am I 'anti-English' because I think Henman is a prick and Murray isn't? Jesus wept.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite] Much as I hate tennis I know I'll be drawn in like most years. Personally, and I know I shouldn't, but I quite like the bloke.

Be ashamed. Very ashamed!!!

Borg is a Charlton supporter.

McEnroe is one of the biggest a--holes of all-time. On or off of the court.
    (Take it from someone that has multiple dealings with him over several decades.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    I have no problem with general sporting rivalry and banter, but he took the time and effort to aquire a Paraguay shirt and to make those comments in the media, and as a follower of a Scottish club as well, I know very well the general (not all) attitude of Hibs fans towards anything remotely English, or even British!
    #

Fair enough in the Hibs bit - but , as I said in another post, he inisists in that interview he never bought a Paraguay shirt and has no idea where that come from. Was there ever a picture of him wearing that shirt, I can't rememeber, or was it all just hearsay of some ENGLISH journo trying to wind up a few people. You just know a sun journo would be capable of doing that.

If there's a proof of this paraguay short thing then I'm all for people wanting him to lose , i just don't think there is. Ihave had a good look on't web and can't find anything.