Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]How the f**k did heman "represent everything wrong ---blah blah blah"
    His parents are ridiculously well-off, he's a public schoolboy and he is a posh twat. That'll do for starters.

Oh, he's obviously scum then, how dare he come from an affluent background and play sport to his best ability.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I dont see it all as banter you do, thats yur opinion From a good few its a veiled form of racism.

Wouldn't being "anti-English" be Xenophobia rather than racism ?

Funny how some can't take a bit of banter between a Scottish sportsman and an English sports team. I mean for god’s sake, he only (allegedly) wore a Paraguay shirt, he didn’t spit at the Queen and set fire to a St. Georges cross.

Loved the Orwell quote though.
  • Options
    Said already dont think Murray is anti English it was just "banter" after all.

Strange isnt it when Jocks or the Welsh take the piss out of the English its "banter, but a comdian telling jokes about the Irish--africans--asians is racism ?
  • Options
    I hope he wins it. He's Britain's best ever professional tennis player and his "Strength and Conditioning Coach" is a Charlton fan. That's two ghood reasons as far as I am concerned. So what if he's not an England football fan? Is Federer? Nadal? Djokovic? Or anyone who has reached the final since the war?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Said already dont think Murray is anti English it was just "banter" after all.

Strange isnt it when Jocks or the Welsh take the piss out of the English its "banter, but a comdian telling jokes about the Irish--africans--asians is racism ?

2 reasons probably, 1) Because we're (English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh) so close to each other it's probably a bit like taking the piss out of family, it's alright if you do it because it's a laugh, but if someone else takes the piss out of a member of your family it's crossing a line. Also Africans and Asians are "races" of people as oppose to English/Scottish etc which are nation.
  • Options
    Laura Robson is going well at the moment. Not bad for a 15 year old!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Laura Robson is going well at the moment. Not bad for a 15 year old!

I trust you are referring to her ability at tennis WSS :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Not bad for a 15 year old!
  • Options
    Don't even go there!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Much as I hate tennis I know I'll be drawn in like most years. Personally, and I know I shouldn't, but I quite like the bloke.

So, he wanted England to lose a football match apparently, big deal and I'd expect nothing else from a Scot. Are we all saying we never find it amusing when another one of the home nations cocks up? I actually think the blokes a winner, with a winners attitude and to me I'd rather support an Andy Murray than a bland, boring, safe, not-a-chance-of-winning-anything, housewifes favourite, Henman any day of the week.

Then again I was always a McEnroe man than a Bjorg so no suprises there.

Be ashamed. Very ashamed!!!

Borg is a Charlton supporter.

McEnroe is one of the biggest a--holes of all-time.On or off of the court.
    (Take it from someone that has multiple dealings with him over several decades.)

Yeah I was aware of that and it wasn't as if I wanted Borg to do badly it's just that as a kid growing up in the 70's there was something about McEnroe that appealed - maybe the sense that anything could happen when he was playing. I haven't had the pleasure or otherwise of meeting McEnroe so I shall have to defer to you and GH on what he's actually like in real life as it were.

[hangs head in shame]
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Murray 3-2 up in the first set
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    through.......although he made it harder than he needed to

oh & Sideways...........I'm liking Mr Invincible............anyone know him...........get him on here!!!!!!

;-)
  • Options
    Kendrick is a tough opponent on grass, his best surface. So a decent start and more than a workout for Murray.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Kendrick is a tough opponent on grass, his best surface. So a decent start and more than a workout for Murray.[/quote]

and the only British male left in ofcourse.

People my not like him which is fair enough but he at least has the talent to get noticed for more than one day a year.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited June 2009
    Take this scenario, if Murray were a palarse fan and said the same things in the press about Charlton, (jokingly or not) and wears the shirt of the next team we are playing in the FA Cup for instance, how many of you would back him then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Take this scenario, Murray is a palars fan and says the same things in the press about Charlton, and wears the shirt of the next team we are playing in the FA Cup final for instance(I know, far fetched) how many of you would back him then?
    I take it you're not a fan of Murray. Which is absolutely fine, of course. There are some things about him that rub people up the wrong way. He's sullen, grumpy, self-centred and has an over-bearing, irritating Mum. But he's also brilliant at what he does. He's our country's best professional tennis player. Ever.

So what if he chooses to support the football team of his birth? He wouldn't be the first to do that.

I want him to win. Why? Because he's a fantastic player and he offers a glimpse of what tennis in Britain could and should be all about: hard work and dedication resulting in success.

If people want to support only players who support England, they've got their work cut out: there's none left this year.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Take this scenario, Murray is a palars fan and says the same things in the press about Charlton, and wears the shirt of the next team we are playing in the FA Cup final for instance(I know, far fetched) how many of you would back him then?
    I take it you're not a fan of Murray. Which is absolutely fine, of course. There are some things about him that rub people up the wrong way. He's sullen, grumpy, self-centred and has an over-bearing, irritating Mum. But he's also brilliant at what he does. He's our country's best professional tennis player. Ever.

So what if he chooses to support the football team of his birth? He wouldn't be the first to do that.

I want him to win. Why? Because he's a fantastic player and he offers a glimpse of what tennis in Britain could and should be all about: hard work and dedication resulting in success.

If people want to support only players who support England, they've got their work cut out: there's none left this year.

Not saying he is not good at what he does, and he is allowed to support whomever he wants, all I am asking is if people turn it around and imagine Murray was talking about Charlton, whether joking or not, how many people from here would back him then?
  • Options
    but he isn't palace he is scottish and i'm more into charlton than i'm into england ..... but if he was millwall aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]but he isn't palace he is scottish and i'm more into charlton than i'm into england ..... but if he was millwall aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people because he said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]but he isn't palace he is scottish and i'm more into charlton than i'm into england ..... but if he was millwall aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people because he said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.
    (I may regret this) What did he say, exactly? And are his views on football that important?
  • Options

Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people becausehe said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.
    (I may regret this) What did he say, exactly? And are his views on footballthatimportant?

When asked who he would be supporting in the World Cup 2006, his reply, anyone who is playing England, and was allegedly seen wearing a paraguay shirt on the eve of, or on the day of the game when England played them.
    No his views in the scheme of things are not important, and as I have stated before, him being a Hibs fan leads me to believe he meant it, but as I keep stressing, people would not be so forgiving of him if he was a palace or millwall fan and it was us he was talking about, oohaah has already proved that point.
  • Options

Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people becausehe said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.
    (I may regret this) What did he say, exactly? And are his views on footballthatimportant?

When asked who he would be supporting in the World Cup 2006, his reply, anyone who is playing England, and was allegedly seen wearing a paraguay shirt on the eve of, or on the day of the game when England played them.
    No his views in the scheme of things are not important, and as I have stated before, him being a Hibs fan leads me to believe he meant it, but as I keep stressing, people would not be so forgiving of him if he was a palace or millwall fan and it was us he was talking about, oohaah has already proved that point.
    OK, so he answered a silly question with a jokey answer, three years ago. He never bought, owned or wore a Paraguay shirt. Moreover, I wouldn't care if he did. But, the shirt he does wear, bears the emblem and name of one of England's finest sports stars.

He doesn't support Palace or Millwall. But his conditioning coach is a Charlton fan, "trying to convert" him. Let me turn the question on its head. If you found out that a Charlton player was a Palace or Millwall fan (could happen - in fact it does happen), how would you react? Would you care? Would you want him to do badly?
  • Options
    no footballers support palace. FACT!
  • Options

OK, so he answered a silly question with a jokey answer, three years ago. He never bought, owned or wore a Paraguay shirt. Moreover, I wouldn't care if he did. But, the shirt hedoeswear, bears the emblem and name of one of England's finest sports stars.

He doesn't support Palace or Millwall. But his conditioning coach is a Charlton fan, "trying to convert" him. Let me turn the question on its head. If you found out that a Charlton player was a Palace or Millwall fan (could happen - in fact itdoeshappen), how would you react? Would you care? Would you want him to do badly?

Wouldn't bother me if a Charlton player supported either, as long as they didnt make quotes to the media about hoping Charlton lose to whomever they are playing and then expect to back them, which is what Murray did.
  • Options

He was interviewed on R5 last week and this question arose, as he explained it was made jokingly and to wind up Tim Henman who was in the vicinity rather than because he was serious. The stuff about buying a Paraguay shirt was simply made up by a journalist. Strangely you have more objection to the repetition of a joke and a fallacy rather than inaccurate reporting.

You have to be pretty small minded to hate someone on that basis.

I did note though that he's just bought a house in Surrey, so at least unlike say Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button who happily wave the Union Jack and proclaim their patriotism at every available opportunity that he's happy to continue living and paying taxes in the UK. He's also sponsored by Fred Perry, a British company rather than Nike/Adidas or another foreign sportswear company.
  • Options
    Part of me thinks this "He don't like us, so i don't like him" is a bit childish, but to be honest is that is what you think then fair enough, it is only sport after all and the world would be a far crappier place is everyone had the same viewpoint.

Speaking personally i really don't care if he doesn't really like England/The English. As far as I am concerned I am British and so is he, I will back him and would like him to win. I am not going to think less of people who don't agree with that point of view.

It is interesting how much this issue polarises viewpoints, it is also clear that the crowd at Wimbledon are far less on Andy's side than they were for Henman and that he has to work far harder to get them onside.
  • Options
    This guy splits the country in two, I personally think that he is an utter stain and the added excitement for me this Wimbledon is to cheer on his opponents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people because he said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.

He was interviewed on R5 last week and this question arose, as he explained it was made jokingly and to wind up Tim Henman who was in the vicinity rather than because he was serious. The stuff about buying a Paraguay shirt was simply made up by a journalist. Strangely you have more objection to the repetition of a joke and a fallacy rather than inaccurate reporting.

I did note though that he's just bought a house in Surrey, so at least unlike say Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button who happily wave the Union Jack and proclaim their patriotism at every available opportunity that he's happy to continue living and paying taxes in the UK. He's also sponsored by Fred Perry, a British company rather than Nike/Adidas or another foreign sportswear company.

Who said I hated him? and I have already said Allegedly, regards the Paraguay shirt.
    Joke or not, my point again, most people on this board would not back him for joking with Henman, if he were palarse or millsmall and Henman was an Addick.
    Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant, it's also irrelevant that I dont agree with your stance, but we'll both live with that crushing development I'm sure. My last post on the matter, my stance is clear, so are other peoples, otherwise we could go on forever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Exactly my point, I am just as much offended as an England fan as I would be as a Charlton fan if he were millsmall or palarse, it doesn't bother some people because he said it about England, well it does me, I have no issue with anyone who does back him, their choice, as is mine.

Completely agreed. And he's sponsored by RBS: so effectively he belongs to the UK government in a way.