Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Andy Murray thread

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i was always a borg fan, ice cool temperament under pressure i loved him in a curbs sort of way ....

Do worry about you sometimes ;-)
  • Options
    appreciate it weegie but it isn't worth your time ... it's too late i'm beyond repair!
  • Options
    Andy Murray is one of the very few BRITISH sportsmen who are world class in their field. I really hope he wins his first ever grand slam this weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Andy Murray is one of the very few BRITISH sportsmen who are world class in their field. I really hope he wins his first ever grand slam this weekend.

Me too

As for his personality, i dont think its that bad. he is clearly very passionate, i find him very entertaining to watch. Him and Federer can do things with a raquet most people could only think of, he does have his momments but in my short life so far is the best british player and i hope he proves it by winning several Grand Slams, although with Nadal & Federer around would be hard for him to dominate the game so if he did in anyway would be no1 by far. i think i am talking a bit too soon, let him win this one then we can predict how he will compare
  • Options
    Federer showing his class again outplaying Andy.

Nevermind...not much he can do against such quality.
  • Options
    Hmm. Federer is just a class above. Well done to Murray for getting to the final. I just can't see him beating Federer in a five setter.
  • Options
    That tie break was fantastic sport, I was on the edge of my seat. Good effort by Andy but simply outplayed today

I still can't stand Federer though. The media seem to drool over his supposed modesty and magnanimous charm, but it's very easy to be that way when you've won (such as today). He shows his true colours when he loses or when he's worried about losing

Last year he dragged the spotlight off Nadal's win with histrionic sobbing and moaning how it "just hurts so much"
    Murray on the other hand cried a little yes, but took the edge off the situation with a light joke, an acknowledgement he'd been outplayed, and knowing it wasn't his moment moved quickly out of the spotlight.

I know Murray seems to get a lot of criticism for being dour, but I would take his forthrightness over Federer's smarm any day
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]That tie break was fantastic sport, I was on the edge of my seat. Good effort by Andy but simply outplayed today

I still can't stand Federer though. The media seem to drool over his supposed modesty and magnanimous charm, but it's very easy to be that way when you've won (such as today). He shows his true colours when he loses or when he's worried about losing

Last year he dragged the spotlight off Nadal's win with histrionic sobbing and moaning how it "just hurts so much"
    Murray on the other hand cried a little yes, but took the edge off the situation with a light joke, an acknowledgement he'd been outplayed, and knowing it wasn't his moment moved quickly out of the spotlight.

I know Murray seems to get a lot of criticism for being dour, but I would take his forthrightness over Federer's smarm any day

Sadly, outcome was never really in doubt. Shame because Murray had a few chances to ask more questions of Federer but still doesn't have that killer punch when needed. Always next time and the time after that and that.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]That tie break was fantastic sport, I was on the edge of my seat. Good effort by Andy but simply outplayed today

Sadly, outcome was never really in doubt. Shame because Murray had a few chances to ask more questions of Federer but still doesn't have that killer punch when needed. Always next time and the time after that and that.......

Quote fail? ;-)

I'm sure Murray will win grand slams in the future, I'm predicting about 5
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry about that (edited it). Hope so. He certainly has most of the game needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Found Federer's comments really patronising, especially the 'Im sure he will win ONE grandslam eventually' I hope Murray gets another chance and beats him in a final and again and again.
  • Options
    Federer is about as smarmy and arrogant as a certain Mr Pardew - though I do have to grudgingly admit that he is a lot more talented...

Hope Murray just takes this in his stride as another part of the learning curve. Roll on Wimbledon...
  • Options
    I dont recall Murray crying when he lost in the Olympics, whilst representing GB&NI.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Over the next couple of weeks, will Andy Murray, Charlton follower and British tennis great win Wimbledon?; OR will Andy Murray, dour Scottish scruf fail to win Wimbledon?

Discuss
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Over the next couple of weeks, will Andy Murray, Charlton follower and British tennis great win Wimbledon?; OR will Andy Murray, dour Scottish scruf fail to win Wimbledon?

Discuss

He'll be Scottish I think on recent form

:-)
  • Options
    Murray in the aussie semis where we will play David Ferrer after Nadal went out in straight sets.
  • Options
    not a tennis fan so dont really know alot about it but thats a huge shock with nadal isnt it?...murray must have a chance now.
  • Options
    Come on murray!
  • Options
    being Anglo-Swiss I ll have to go with Federer, well that and because I cannot stand the whinging Scot.

He will never win a Grand Slam.
  • Options
    c'mon Murray! huge tennis fan here. I wish i was still coaching but desk life pays the bills....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ABM

Can't stand him and hope he never wins a grand slam.
  • Options
    Murray odds-on to reach another Slam final.

Fair play to him.
  • Options
    When he does well he is British and one should support the British player in my opinion.

If/ when he loses he is Scottish :-)
  • Options
    One set all, in the semi.

He's the best ever British professional tennis player, so that's reason enough for me to back him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]One set all, in the semi.

He's the best ever British professional tennis player, so that's reason enough for me to back him.

Harsh on Fred Perry don't you think and even Bunny Austin although that is more debatable.

However I do agree we should support the British player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]When he does well he is British and one should support the British player in my opinion.

If/ when he loses he is Scottish :-)

This
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]One set all, in the semi.

and this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]He's the best ever British professional tennis player, so that's reason enough for me to back him.
    Harsh on Fred Perry don't you think.
    I deliberately used "professional" as, for ridiculous reasons, when Perry played as a professional, he wasn't able to compete in the grand slams.
    Murray is Britain's best ever professional tennis player, closely followed by Tim Henman, and in a very distant third place is ... no-one!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]He's the best ever British professional tennis player, so that's reason enough for me to back him.
    Harsh on Fred Perry don't you think.
    I deliberately used"professional"as, for ridiculous reasons, when Perry played as a professional, he wasn't able to compete in the grand slams.
    Murray is Britain's best ever professional tennis player, closely followed by Tim Henman, and in a very distant third place is ... no-one!

Fair enough. Yes they were "amateur" In Fred and Bunny's day.

I guess, under your parameter, the Canadian comes third or even second given that he reached a Grand Slam final whereas Tiger Tim never did although he (Tim) was a semi finalist at some stage in all the slams I believe.
  • Options
    Also it was a bit more of a jolly boys club in those days. There's no doubt modern tennis is considerably more competitive, and not just because of better equipment and physical fitness.
  • Options
    So Andy Murray has reached his second consecutive Australian Open Final, by beating David Ferrer 3-1 in the semi final.

This is a brilliant performance for one of the world's greatest tennis players. And, for anyone who can't see beyond a throwaway joke he made to a jibe from an interviewer, it might be worth remembering one other episode in Murray's background. He was one of the survivors of the Dunblane Massacre.