Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please buy your poppies......

Comments

• Options
    Got a metal pin one this year, will just reuse it and donate money via their website. I don't like the disposable poppy too much, not so good for the environment.

Also been on help for heroes, they to metal wrist bands which I ordered, also a nice rugby shirt
  • Options
    Lost my first one celebrating goal at Gillingham, but our work has them in reception so everytime i lose one I buy a new one.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ignore
  • Options
    If you read the British Legion web site they refer to "Armed Services" and make no mention of the Merchant Service who were not armed although often protected by the Armed Services, I hope DA9 is right and such help is given countrywide and not just in his area.

McLovin - I remember them and try and keep their profile alive, as many people who buy poppies remember the Army, Navy and Airforce but never give a thought to the Merchant Service. RBL collecting tins used to show the flags of the three armed services but never the red ensign of the MN.

I do not decry poppy day but just wish that when you buy your poppies you also give a thought to those men and women of the MN who gave their lives and don't get remembered.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]The millwall fan Ex evening standard seller outside Cannon Street has set up a huge poppy selling table. Ive seen more sellers this year than ever.

interesting point Lancashire.

He started the week with a table and posters urging you to buy a poppy (like he used to do with the Standard). The next day he had his little stereo playing military music as well. The day after he was wearing his paras beret, with more posters. By the end of the week I expect to see a tank parked outside Cannon Street station and the people handing out City AM dressed in ghillie suits.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]If you read the British Legion web site they refer to "Armed Services" and make no mention of the Merchant Service who were not armed although often protected by the Armed Services, I hope DA9 is right and such help is given countrywide and not just in his area.

McLovin - I remember them and try and keep their profile alive, as many people who buy poppies remember the Army, Navy and Airforce but never give a thought to the Merchant Service. RBL collecting tins used to show the flags of the three armed services but never the red ensign of the MN.

I do not decry poppy day but just wish that when you buy your poppies you also give a thought to those men and women of the MN who gave their lives and don't get remembered.

In fairness to you LL, the website does say that in one section but says all services in another, but I rang the Pall Mall head office and they confirmed that they dont discriminate between any of the forces, Merchant included, it's purely that there are more armed forces personnel than naval, so the public perception will be that way.
  • Options
    You make a fair point about the role of the Merchant Navy during WWII, Lancs. Recently I read this book, and it was probably the most gripping and moving thing that I have ever read. All it is is first-hand accounts by those who served and it is truly amazing. The hardship, heroism and sacrifice is hard to conceive in these pampered times (not to mention how absolutely bed-wettingly terrifying it must have been to have been in these situations). I very strongly recommend everyone to read it - you will be glad you did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destroyer-Anthology-First-hand-Accounts-1939-1945/dp/1844860086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256737509&sr=1-1

Personally, I will still be supporting the poppy campaign as well, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]The millwall fan Ex evening standard seller outside Cannon Street has set up a huge poppy selling table. Ive seen more sellers this year than ever.

interesting point Lancashire.

He started the week with a table and posters urging you to buy a poppy (like he used to do with the Standard). The next day he had his little stereo playing military music as well. The day after he was wearing his paras beret, with more posters. By the end of the week I expect to see a tank parked outside Cannon Street station and the people handing out City AM dressed in ghillie suits.

i shall make a point of looking the next few nights.
  • Options
    Once again I find myself the only person currentyl wearing one in my building (of perhaps 40-50 people). I know it's still fairly early but every year that passes I see fewer and fewer people showing their support for what these guys (and ladies) did and almost never see anyone in their 20 these days wearing one. Why? In the current climate you would think that support for our armed services would be higher than ever.
  • Options
    Mines pinned/blutacked onto my computer screen - I just lose it otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do understand your concern Lancashire, however (and i dont want this to sound cheesy) when i personally donate and wear my poppy with pride i not only think of the service men and women from the armed forces but also the other people affected from conflicts protecting our freedom. Sacrifices were made by not only service men and women but also the parents and children they left behind. Everyday our newspapers have pictures of a memorial service for another brave soul lost in war but the pain will always be with their comrades, family and friends.

Lest we forget.
  • Options
    why would you not buy one iam no were near old enough to remember the Falklands war let alone WW2 however i get one every year and if i lose it i make sure i have one for remberance day i would rather celebrate something like this rather than bloody Halloween that is a complete waste of time brought in by Americans but if i had kids maybe i would think differently bout halloween. But to me like Christmas its just a retail money maker.
  • Options
    I've yet to see any sellers....
  • Options
    Plenty of sellers in Canary Wharf , in the newsagents etc and the chaps standing round by the tube station etc , good to see . Seen loads around actually but as AFKA says I do feel like it gets earlier every year . Not complaining though I wear mine with pride
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]why would you not buy one iam no were near old enough to remember the Falklands war let alone WW2 however i get one every year and if i lose it i make sure i have one for remberance day i would rather celebrate something like this rather than bloody Halloween that is a complete waste of time brought in by Americans but if i had kids maybe i would think differently bout halloween. But to me like Christmas its just a retail money maker.

Are you for real?
  • Options
    Not sure about this "Gets earlier each year" statement:
    Rememberance Sunday is 11 days away...........
  • Options
    I work in a university whose students are mainly foreign (kust over 50%) not one in sight. A disgrace really. Mind you a lot of the British Kids are Asian so probably don't realise
  • Options
    When i was younger i never wore one as being directly from Irish descent i always thought the Wars the poppy represented meant nothing to me or mine. I have since been educated. Thats why i believe more don't wear them, education for all. It's not done enough imo.
  • Options
    As I've said before WWII is on the national curriculum at Primary and secondary school level.

At Henry Jnr's school they sell poppies in the School and have a special assembly about remembrance day.

I don't think it's the kids who need educating.
  • Options
    Drove past Headley Court Rehab Unit today and stopped to let a number of 'walking wounded' cross the lane that seperates the buildings: there were about twenty five patients and spontaneously the driver coming from the other direction and myself both started clapping as they crossed between us. They smiled and those that could waved as they showed their appreciation. Don't mind admitting it brought a tear to the eye: wear your poppy with pride!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bought one today and lost it three hours after!........
    Oh well get another tommorow, good cause
  • Options
    Finally found a seller, just opposite Liverpool St.

After Remembrance Sunday, mine is then attached to my desk partition at work - I want to remember all year round, not just for a couple of weeks...
  • Options
    at charing x this morning, there were at least 3 mobile sellers and one at a desk who said they are waiting on an order for the badge pins but sold the big poppies and the rememembrance crosses. I bought one and he said that i had to take the pin as he's not allowed to stab people anymore! haha. then went down to the tube, and there were 3 standing down there selling and even down the escalators there was another selling at the bottom. great coverage!

2 hours in and mine is still attached - miracle!
  • Options
    Got one now!
  • Options
    Got one today around 8am at Baker Street.

Going off on a tangent form Lancashire Lad's point. There were a lot of people who lost their lives in WWII who weren't physically fighting in the war but contributed towards the cause. Women who worked in factories and/or looked after evacuees, kids who collection metal for spit fires, wardens, home guard etc. Lest we forget them as well.
  • Options
    Have been wearing one for the last week but it comes off tonight at midnight.
    Sorry, just cant do/wear anything red on North London Derby Day ;-) I promise to put it back on Sunday though!
  • Options
    Hope you've all found a seller by now............
  • Options
    Seriously, does anyone know why only half the B'ham team had Poppies on their shirts on Sunday ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Seriously, does anyone know why only half the B'ham team had Poppies on their shirts on Sunday ?

Really?, Did not notice that, thought all the shirts had it.

I am wearing my metal badge poppy now at work, had a couple of poppy's, but they kept falling off, also got my Union flag V for victory shaped THANKS badge on as well.
  • Options
    Credit to LU staff

Most wearing and showing support