Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please buy your poppies......

Comments

• Options
    worn mine with pride
  • Options
    Serious points:

Why is it getting earlier every year and why do TV "personalities" absolutely have to have them?

I'll certainly wear mine with pride, but on the run up to RS. I feel it's getting hijacked. Guess it doesn't matter if it supports the people that we're buying them for, but I feel many don them without thinking about what they mean, which was why it always stood out ahead of other appeals, for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Serious points:

Why is it getting earlier every year and why do TV "personalities" absolutely have to have them?

I'll certainly wear mine with pride, but on the run up to RS. I feel it's getting hijacked. Guess it doesn't matter if it supports the people that we're buying them for, but I feel many don them withoutthinkingabout what they mean, which was why it always stood out ahead of other appeals, for me.

Poppy Etiquette
  • Options
    Personally i wear mine 13 days before RS:
    The Monday after the Sunday 2 weeks before R.Sunday.
  • Options
    Couldn't believe how few there were being worn in Bluewater today
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Really ?
    Seems like everyone in Sydenham & Beckenham had one today......
  • Options

I'll certainly wear mine with pride, but on the run up to RS. I feel it's getting hijacked. Guess it doesn't matter if it supports the people that we're buying them for, but I feel many don them withoutthinkingabout what they mean, which was why it always stood out ahead of other appeals, for me.

They could start it in January for all I care, a good cause is a good cause is a good cause, we dont have windows for charity collections for any other organisation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

They could start it in January for all I care, a good cause is a good cause is a good cause, we dont have windows for charity collections for any other organisation.

Spot on. Really pissed off by the run up to christmas starting earlier and earlier but you wont hear me complaining about poppy selling.

Pretty sad this year that I havent seen any of the old old veterans out and about seling. Really gave me a sense of pride seeing them.
  • Options
    What DA9 said
  • Options
    Where can you get the metal poppies? I havent seen any. 5 more passed yesterday. Its heartbreaking. RIP boys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Where can you get the metal poppies? I havent seen any. 5 more passed yesterday. Its heartbreaking. RIP boys.

If I see one on my travels will pick one up for you and try and catch you near the station one night.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A few days ago Sargent Olaf Shmidt of the Royal Logistics Corps was killed , this man had in this tour of duty and others defused 65 bombs --------------- what can be said about such a brave man. RIP .
  • Options
    Cheers DA9 appreciate that enormously!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Cheers DA9 appreciate that enormously!

No wucking forries
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]A few days ago Sargent Olaf Shmidt of the Royal Logistics Corps was killed , this man had in this tour of duty and others defused 65 bombs
    what can be said about such a brave man. RIP .
    Much respect to him he will certainly rest in peace 65 bombs is immense.

On other matters I have given this year alone £10 do I still have to wear a poppy? I'll only lose it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]They could start it in January for all I care, a good cause is a good cause is a good cause, we dont have windows for charity collections for any other organisation.
    Yeah I guess, but it's not like other collections. As I said my concern is that in becoming a thing that people do because they ought to that they're less likely to actually to take those couple of seconds to consider what it means. Also, as people will contribute what they can afford for it, I'm not sure it makes anymore money.

Thanks for the link TK.
  • Options
    I don't care who's promoting it and when they start. As long as they raise money for this excellent cause and we get to display our gratitude. I'll buy several, mostly because I keep losing them.
  • Options
    mine fell off this morning. (paper poppy not baby niece Poppy!)

will defo get a few pin badges when I find someone selling them for each coat.
  • Options
    Just been to the Rememberance Field by Westminster Abbey. Very humbling and I don't mind admitting quite emotional.

If you are in the area ( or even if you are not) go and take it in. Really does portray the sheer size of what happened..
  • Options
    Just had a seller walking through the tube carriages... First time I've ever seen that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_it

that cannon street poppy seller bloke

ask him if his name is Brian Dipple , used to know him when he sold the evening standard there and he was millwall ,
  • Options
    Does anyone know if we'll be having the poppy embroidered on our shirts this Sunday ?
  • Options
    Not a great day today--- herd i missed out on two contracts. 1 i thought was a bang on cert. Well its the World i work in. Anyhow went shopping to Lewisham and an old lady stops me as im crossing road, could not at first understand what she was saying (big jamacan accent) then she points at my poppy and says " the yoof should wear more"-- i say thanks and go on my way -- alittle cheared up as i thought she was calling me a yoof and its been a mighty long time since that happened. As i walked through the market and back i realised what she meant ----- hardly any poppies on show and mostly late middle aged and older. Sad really.

Lewisham Tesco were selling the metal badges at £2 a go brought two.

PS anyone driving this afternoon , some roads on Blackheath are shut while they get ready for the fireworks display.
  • Options
    Bought two as I dropped one somewhere last week.

Lest we forget is indeed the watch word ...... shame this scroat in this M.E.N story chose to see it another way. Apologies if you've read about it already.

[url]http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1180807_video_of_moment_thief_stole_poppy_collection_box[/url]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharlesRoadatlas[/cite]Bought two as I dropped one somewhere last week.

Lest we forget is indeed the watch word ...... shame this scroat in this M.E.N story chose to see it another way. Apologies if you've read about it already.

[url][/url]http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1180807_video_of_moment_thief_stole_poppy_collection_box

Shocking...

but did you see this

Who else was locked up in November

Do they do this in London ? Great idea !!
  • Options
    Will the team have poppies on their shirts sunday?
  • Options
    At Charing X this morning they said they got the poppy badges in on monday but had sold out already - they had V flags with union jacks saying thanks though so bought 2 of those and the 3rd poppy i've bought in a week and the poppy fell off by the time i got to the tube platform! argh!
  • Options
    I've seen loads more sellers this year than previous years. There's been a fella standing outside New Eltham station every day for the past couple of weekstoo.
  • Options
    The older veterans were out in force in Sittingbourne today. Not exactly a nice warm day either, so huge respect to each and every one of them. They also have a large stock of the metal badges mentioned above if anyone from down this way was looking for any...
  • Options
    If anyone going/went to a Service can you let us know about the turnout please ?
    Off to Lewisham Way now...........