Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cash-strapped Charlton set to sell off stars in January??? taken from tomorrow's Mirror

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Cash-strapped Charlton are preparing for a mass player cull in January as their financial woes increase - with star kid Jonjo Shelvey certain to be sold.
The League One Addicks are desperately seeking a new owner with David Sullivan and the Gold brothers interested if they fail to get West Ham.
And if Charlton are not rescued this season after dropping out of the top-flight in 2007, then the club could be heading for administration next summer.
Charlton notified several agents last week to move on big earners like Leon McKenzie, Izale McLeod and Christian Dailly, who pick up around £8,000-a-week
And England starlet Shelvey, 17, will be the first to be sold with several Premier League clubs like Chelsea and Spurs interested.
But Charlton’s problems are so serious, they will even listen to offers for some of their talented youngsters in the academy.
The Addicks hope to raise cash by selling some fledgling stars to the likes of Manchester United, who could then send some of their fringe players to The Valley on loan.
It is a nightmare prospect for boss Phil Parkinson who has guided Charlton to second in League One.
And club insiders fear the escalating financial problems could wreck their decent start.
Sullivan and the Golds are willing to save the club but only if they fail to buy West Ham, who also have major money problems.

Comments

• Options
    Oh Dear!
  • Options
    bollockkkkssssss
  • Options
    Interesting piece - but a load of bllx in my opinion.

They didn't even bother pretending there was a source.

Offload McKenzie because of his wage just a few weeks after signing him? Lol.
  • Options
    Lazy rag writing again,boring!!
  • Options
    Ok I am going to ask something very controversial:

Would it be the end of the world if Shelvey was sold, it could potentially save the club and would allow us to keep other players and mean we could still maintain hopes of promotion! As much as I think Shelvey is an amazing player, imo we have other players that are more important to the team. I prepare to be shot!!!
  • Options
    No, I'd gladly sell Shelvey for a decent fee but given the fact he can't get into our team wont do his transfer fee much favours.
  • Options
    When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd discount a lot of the so-called 'detail' in that report and several of the names, as well as the general 'crisis at the Valley' tone, although I'm sure there's some truth in the likelihood of several departures in January if we can find buying clubs prepared to offer the right price. Parky himself has said he wants to bring players in come January to strengthen a couple of areas but admits there will have to be departures first.

But you'll be in trouble for highlighting such a report, Mart77. ShootersHillGuru mentioned in the post-match thread yesterday that he'd heard a rumour about Bailey possibly being sold in January - and he got well duffed-up for being ''negative'' !!!
  • Options
    Just doing as Roy Walker used to tell people Nigel, and saying what i saw ;0)
  • Options
    Or we could pray there will be a Parde like manger willing to pay over the odds for McLeod?

Obviously I don't want Shelvey to go, but thought I would throw it out there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    have to agree with both dan & Si.........long term selling Shelvey would not be a great loss, but really.......who beleives this tosh ?????? get rid of Mckenzie 2 months after signing him on a free because his wages are too high !!!!!!

had to check the calender to make sure it wasn't april 1st !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]get rid of Mckenzie 2 months after signing him on a free because his wages are too high !!!!!!

that's the clincher for me that this piece is a load of balls. surely our board wouldn't have signed a contract that would trouble us within 2 months or so... they would've had a plan to the end of the season at the very least in terms of financing.
  • Options
    And Dailly was only signed a short while before McKenzie so why would they risk spending so much on their wages i there was such a big threat. Also surely the 7 million investment must have some significance
  • Options
    Mike said: ''I'd gladly sell Shelvey for a decent fee but given the fact he can't get into our team wont do his transfer fee much favours.''

On the other hand, as he can't get in our team he may now be less convinced than he was when he signed his contract last season that staying at Charlton for a while is indeed the best thing for his career.

It is said he absolutely hates not playing and some of Uncle's recent posts , in which he has been pretty rude about the rest of the midfield who are keeping JS out, suggest some disaffection among those close to the lad...

If other clubs come sniffing around in Jan, he and his agent may be tempted to encourage and pursue an offer...
  • Options
    Dailly is probably on a quarter of what is quoted there so i've heard.
  • Options
    "to the likes of Manchester United" (read big club, plucked at random from thin air just because someone heard a whisper about the McGinty deal in the summer)

And another thing...

we've "notified several agents last week to move on big earners like Izale McLeod"

I hope James Bond is on the bloody list!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]But you'll be in trouble for highlighting such a report, Mart77. ShootersHillGuru mentioned in the post-match thread yesterday that he'd heard a rumour about Bailey possibly being sold in January - and he got well duffed-up for being ''negative'' !!!
    No Nigel, he got "duffed up" for bringing it up in the post-match thread, as it wasn't the appropriate place for it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it.

Probably not since Paul Foot died or Keith Waterhouse moved to the Mail, whichever was the latter.
  • Options
    The Mirror is a bob rag.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aliwibble said: "he got "duffed up" for bringing it up in the post-match thread, as it wasn't the appropriate place for it.''

Well I'm not sure, other than ''admin'', who deems what is the ''appropriate place'' and what isn't and when I read the exchange last night I was slightly shocked by the ferocity with which some turned on SHG for simply repeating what he'd heard !

Personally, I just wish this strange dialectic in which everything gets measured and then condemned or applauded on some negative/positive barometer would cease. The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    ''When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it.

Probably not since Paul Foot died or Keith Waterhouse moved to the Mail, whichever was the latter. ''

And don't forget the great John Pilger.

Not that Foot, Waterhouse or Pilger ever wrote anything about Charlton, as far as I am aware, so Stig's original question 'When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it'' remains unanswered. But as it was surely rhetorical, anyway, the point is well made.

And we shouldn't forget that Alistair Campbell also worked on the Mirror for many years, perfecting the techniques that would later serve him so well on Blair's 'dodgy dossier'...
  • Options
    I can see McLeod being on big wages, and just about imagine Dailly on a reasonably big wage, but McKenzie??

It looks like a bit like a feature advertisement to me. Oh dear, what a loss McLeod would be. I hope Roy Keane doesn't swoop in for him etc etc.
  • Options
    Total bollocks from start to finish.

We are not paying ANYONE 8K per week - anyone on that kind of money (Hudson, Ambrose) was moved on in the summer and I am sure that Christian Dailly and Leon McKenzie will be highly amused to find out that they are on 8K per week, they'll probably be ringing their bank to see where the other 6K per week is going.

Fecking hell, every club in the country outside the Premiership - and more than a few inside it - are on their uppers because of the crazy wages being paid to players and these guys think we gave Leon McKenzie an 8K per week deal in Division One???

Hilarious, but total bollocks.

I am not sure who our best paid player is but I seriously doubt that we have anyone earning more than 3K per week on the books right now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]''When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it.

Probably not since Paul Foot died or Keith Waterhouse moved to the Mail, whichever was the latter. ''

And don't forget the great John Pilger.

Not that Foot, Waterhouse or Pilger ever wrote anything about Charlton, as far as I am aware, so Stig's original question 'When has anything the Mirror has written about us had any truth in it'' remains unanswered. But as it was surely rhetorical, anyway, the point is well made.

And we shouldn't forget that Alistair Campbell also worked on the Mirror for many years, perfecting the techniques that would later serve him so well on Blair's 'dodgy dossier'...

Ha ha, who needs the truth when they can't even read one sentence properly - Doh ;-)
    Cheers Nigel.
  • Options
    I don't normally rip into articles just because they say something that I don't like, but that one is complete and utter gash. There's not a single attributable quote or even anything from a "source". There's not even anything to explain the rationale of why they think this situation might arise. Really poor.

Ormiston, I'm sure we have players on more than that. Players signed in the CCC before the brakes went on, will be on considerably more. Not that the specifics of it should matter to us.
  • Options
    Crap from start to finish...left wing rag!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Just doing as Roy Walker used to tell people Nigel, and saying what i saw ;0)

That won`t help...trust me !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]But you'll be in trouble for highlighting such a report, Mart77. ShootersHillGuru mentioned in the post-match thread yesterday that he'd heard a rumour about Bailey possibly being sold in January - and he got well duffed-up for being ''negative'' !!!
    No Nigel, he got "duffed up" for bringing it up in the post-match thread, as it wasn't the appropriate place for it.

God this board is so precious sometimes !
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I don't normally rip into articles just because they say something that I don't like, but that one is complete and utter gash. There's not a single attributable quote or even anything from a "source". There's not even anything to explain the rationale of why they think this situation might arise. Really poor.

Ormiston, I'm sure we have players on more than that. Players signed in the CCC before the brakes went on, will be on considerably more. Not that the specifics of it should matter to us.[/quote]

Hmmmm, I am not so sure. We have lost an awful lot of players since last season, how many of the following would be on SUBSTANTIALLY more than 3K per week? Bear in mind we chucked Hudson out of the door because of his alleged 11,000 per week wages.

Elliott, Randolph - None

Richardson (maybe), Dailly (maybe), Sodje (no), Llera (no), Youga (no), Basey (no)

Sam (maybe), Bailey (maybe), Semedo (maybe), Racon (maybe), Shelvey (no), Spring (no), Sinclair (no)

Burton (no), Dickson (no), McLeod (maybe), Fleetwood (no).

You may be right that a couple may be on more than 3K, but it would not be much more than that given the dramatic fall in income - especially TV money.

I am pretty sure Henry could give us a steer.

Please keep it in perspective that even in our Premiership days we were not massive payers and our top-earners were "only" in the 15K per week range.
  • Options
    Am I wrong in thinking that only quite recently Charlton were reported allegedly as having the highest wage bill in league one ? Can`t believe that the Daily Miror figures stack up though.