Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cash-strapped Charlton set to sell off stars in January??? taken from tomorrow's Mirror

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]BTW, in terms of wages, we know that Andy Reid left Charlton to triple his wages at Sunderland - where he is currently on 25K per week.
    Where has that figure come from though? I've read in other places Bent and other new signings at Sunderland are on £40-50k a week.

Yes we had a lot of players, but even with all of them on £5k a week each it won't add up to the £30m wage bill the club had in 2007, or £20m in 2008.
    4 Staff costs
    			2008 		2007
    			£’000 		£’000

4.1 Staff costs
    Wages and salaries 	20,582 		30,417
    Social security costs 	2,374 		3,487
    Other pension costs 	780 		393

23,736 		34,297

4.2 Average number of employees
    							2008 		2007
    							Number 		Number

Full-time playing, training and football management 	85 		105
    Administrative, commercial and stadium maintenance 	101 		115
    							186 		220

Just doesn't add up to me, how were we be paying no more than say £15k a week when we were in the Prem, no more than £3k a week now, but spend that sort of money on the total wages at the club?
  • Options
    Those figures do not make pretty reading, do they?

It is well known that Reid trebled his dough going to Sunderland, the figures concerned were mentioned on here by a regular poster following one of the meetings with club management.

Taking the 2007 figures when we had a massive Premiership size squad, if we assume that 75% of total wages and salaries (£23 million) were going to the playing side of the operation then that works out an average of £217,000 per person across the entire 105 players/coaching staff, which is obviously not right.

We must assume then that of the £23 million that at least 75% of this was going to the 30-man first team squad which takes us to £17 million being split between 30 players which brings you an average salary across the squad of £570,000 PA, or around £11,000 per week.

Now, obviously, in that last Premiership year we would have had some players on MORE than £11,000 per week (Bent X 2, Diawara, Faye, Traore, Rommedahl, Young) whilst others would have been on less than this figure.

If we repeat the above formula for 2008 we see that avergae wage for the 30-man squad would have been £382,000 PA or about £7,500 per week, which looks a reasonable stab.

What is really interesting is that the wages and salaries went down 32% between 2007 and 2008 from £30.4 million to £20.5 million and would presumably drop by at least 33% again in 2009, maybe closer to 50%.

A 33% reduction in the wages paid to the 30-man squad would take the average squad wage to around £5,000 per week, whilst a 50% reduction would take it down to around £3,700 per week.

Of course, some of my estimates above could be incorrect, but I think this gives us a reasonable guide to where we are likely to be at now in terms of salaries to first-team players.

The point is that if we were paying out wages of £17 million to maybe £20 million to the 30-man first-team squad in 2007 then with income slashed by such a huge margin you would imagine that our total first-team squad wages should now be down to not much more than £8 million in 2009 - and that is still probably too much for us to be paying out given our massively reduced income.

In addition, the 2007 and 2008 figures may need to take into account the inflated wages being paid to Pardew - including his pay-off in 2008.

God, I would bloody love to see the real CAFC figures!
  • Options
    Hur hur

Sell Shelvey?!

Fair one the boy ain't in the team at the minute but sort your heads out!!!!

As for the other load of flannel? Yeah the board stuck in over £7,000,000 to keep the books balanced (out of their own pockets chaps) I'm pretty certain they did that without the thought of offloading the players they were looking at fulfilling the contracts of.

I slap my head sometimes when I look at this website at some of the shite people find time to think about then write.

So, what to do? Sack Parkinson and the board and let's flush a load more money down the khazi so as we never make this mistake again..... Oh
  • Options
    I see numerous sites have recycled this load of rubbish on Newsnow

would be nice to have an official statement from the club to the contrary
  • Options
    Sorry guys but all this "I heard he was on 18k pa" is laughable.

I will tell you a FACT.

When I was on the board one of our first team squad players was on £26,000.

That was £26,000 PER YEAR
  • Options
    I remember a few matches when we done ok without an injured Reid, 'not the end of the world if we sold him' went a few comments......

No we shouldnt sell Shelvey.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just caught up with this thread from yesterday, so forgive me for back tracking a bit, but Nigel W, your defence of journos is even more damning than my original attack. By that I mean you suggest they don't even use their own bullshit, they use someone elses?

Scum, utter scum.

(Not you necessarily Nige)
  • Options
    chill the feck out. although i accept what nigel has wrote, this story is complete ballcocks and is more likely to have been released by someone who is still trying to strike a bargin basement deal on our club than for one of our players.

there will be loads of panick stories that will be released until the ownsership changes hands or muzza and co decide we are off the market.

Nigel we all know that 99.9% of football stories in red tops are cack if i could write eloquantly enough i reckon i could have been a footie journo as i get loads of shite gossip and read more crap talk on here than ever,

the cynic in me would believe that some on here plant the stories to get the media headlines
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sorry guys but all this "I heard he was on 18k pa" is laughable.

I will tell you a FACT.

That was £26,000 PER YEAR

Yeh - but he's out on loan at the moment ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sorry guys but all this "I heard he was on 18k pa" is laughable.

I will tell you a FACT.

That was £26,000 PER YEAR[/quote]

No way Henry.

My mate's sister's best-friend's boyfriend works with Scott Wagstaff's aunt's cousin's boyfriend at McDonald's in Eltham and he says that Scott Wagstaff and all the other first year pros are on £5,550.00 per week paid in cash in the Beehive car park plus a free Baby Bentley each.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wrong Ormiston.

It's Burger King
  • Options
    i quite like derren brown, the way he sidetracts you and you follow what he's doing but he's so subtle that you're gone and missed the whole crux to his illusion.
  • Options
    All this talk about Bailey going to Palace is laughable. Firstly they are more skint than us. Secondly, they are under a transfer embargo at the moment.
  • Options
    <Thanmks NS....but I'm also interested(as I'm sure are others) to hear your take on WHY the story was written in the first place? >

Laziness. They look out of the window in their Canary Wharf tower and think: 'We haven't done a Charlton story for a while.'

Do you see these kind of stories about other League One clubs in the Mirror such as Yeovil or Walsall? Out of sight, out of mind.
  • Options
    ''WHY the story was written in the first place? >

Laziness. They look out of the window in their Canary Wharf tower and think: 'We haven't done a Charlton story for a while.' ''

Doubt that is the way it happened, News Shopper. Some two bit agent rang them up or met the journalist at a match and gave them a line. That's where nine out of ten football stories in the red tops come from.

The line is then embellished, exaggerated, generally hyped up with other extraneous supposition without the original 'tip' ever having been corroborated.

Algarve Addick is right - it is a damning indictment of the way the low-rent end of journalism works. But it is not a case of ''total fabrication''. As I said before, most journalists don't have the wit or imagination to make it up. It starts with a tip, which may or may not be true but almost always comes from someone with an ulterior motive, and is then spun into an iceberg that melts under the first rays of scrutiny.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]''WHY the story was written in the first place? >

Laziness. They look out of the window in their Canary Wharf tower and think: 'We haven't done a Charlton story for a while.' ''

Doubt that is the way it happened, News Shopper. Some two bit agent rang them up or met the journalist at a match and gave them a line. That's where nine out of ten football stories in the red tops come from.

The line is then embellished, exaggerated, generally hyped up with other extraneous supposition without the original 'tip' ever having been corroborated.

Algarve Addick is right - it is a damning indictment of the way the low-rent end of journalism works. But it is not a case of ''total fabrication''. As I said before, most journalists don't have the wit or imagination to make it up. It starts with a tip, which may or may not be true but almost always comes from someone with an ulterior motive, and is then spun into an iceberg that melts under the first rays of scrutiny.[/quote]

It is the fact that every Charlton story which has appeared in the last two years has been completely wrong which makes me believe they just look out of the window, see The Valley and make something up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite] Secondly, they are under a transfer embargo at the moment.

They're not anymore....... well at least until the next payment to Brizzle City for Carle and Ipswich for Lee is due in the New Year.
  • Options
    Oh and News Shopper, please click on the BBCode button before you quote - it makes it very difficult to read your posts.....

And it's just lazy journalism ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Oh and News Shopper, please click on the BBCode button before you quote - it makes it very difficult to read your posts.....

Something very odd happens when I try to quote and preview, a purple page with loads of different coloured names comes up but then disappears on posting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]

........ and is then spun into an iceberg that melts under the first rays of scrutiny.

Waxing lyrical this morning, Nigel ........ ?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Oh and News Shopper, please click on the BBCode button before you quote - it makes it very difficult to read your posts.....

And it's just lazy journalism ;-)[/quote]

Lazy is my middle name but it has nothing to do with the journalism : )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Oh and News Shopper, please click on the BBCode button before you quote - it makes it very difficult to read your posts.....

Lazy is my middle name but it has nothing to do with the journalism : )

I give up (:
  • Options
    Don't know about waxing lyrical, Oggy. Mixing my metaphors. How can you spin an iceberg? No idea what I was on about there!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite] How can you spin an iceberg?
    put a tasteless lettuce in a salad spinner
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Don't know about waxing lyrical, Oggy. Mixing my metaphors. How can you spin an iceberg? No idea what I was on about there!

You could get lots of boats and attach some wires from boat to iceburg. You would then need all the boats to set off in the same direction clockwise or anticlockwise. If you are lucky the iceburg would begin to move in what could be described as a spin.

Should I get my coat?
  • Options
    Think so....
    Its cold on Icebergs...........
  • Options
    I said it before with just a trace of irony(lost on some). The idea of moving McLeod on is not without it's merits!
  • Options
    Pilchard notied (ironically) : ''The idea of moving McLeod on is not without it's merits!''

Perhaps we could spin him off on an iceberg. Along with the pixies, of course...

(it's still more than six hours to the game and it seems some have started their pre-match drink particularly early today!!!)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite] No way Henry.

My mate's sister's best-friend's boyfriend works with Scott Wagstaff's aunt's cousin's boyfriend at McDonald's in Eltham and he says that Scott Wagstaff and all the other first year pros are on £5,550.00 per week paid in cash in the Beehive car park plus a free Baby Bentley each.

Not sure if that's aimed at my earlier comment Ormiston but if it is, I'm not one to get involved in making up salaries for players but on this occassion the player concerned is a lot closer to the person who told me than in your example....and I mean a lotcloser.

You can believe that no one at our club is on more than £150k a year but I suspect you'll be in a very small minority.
  • Options
    Would getting rid of one or more of our 3 Chief Executive types, given that we only had two in the Prem for most of it, enable us to keep one or more of our better players?